Olden

Olden

Postby ulo » Wed May 21, 2014 3:19 pm

I have always loved Olden and will most likely always do. I am unsure to why but I think the possibilities for boosting and team play appeal to me. Along with the sneak peak shots you can take from above if your really strong on the map!

It was one of the lower picked maps and had the lowest avg frags, but I still think it's one of the better maps on the list, if not cause it's bring something else to the table. But even though I love the map I still think there are a few things that could change!

Firstly I think the armour placement on this map is horrible and most people who go for it usually end up being punished more then they get from it. Most people I played on low last season I could out DOM point simply by being fast back and staying on the point instead of going for powerups when they were up (having pete on mid ofc helped :P). Here are two different suggestions to what to do with the armour:
The first image makes use of the water on the low point to increase the dynamic of the point. You have to either look down into the water to see if it's up which makes you vulnerable to shots from the sides or time it well and dive down to get it on time.
The second image is a suggestion to put it on the pillar furthest away from the high point to not make it a high powerup instead of a powerup for low. It's now either a powerup a attacker on low can grab while going back to the point or if the one on the point is timing it well can activate and grab when he know it's up.
Both those positions are much closer the point itself and would make for possibility to grab them without being totally punished.
Also I would like two more things. First one health pack on the opposite side of the room from the point. Secondly I would love if it's possible to give a slight current to the water in the tunnel towards the point, to make it take roughly the same time to get around the wall to go via the water. To open up more spawns to be viable and feel useful to the low point.

Secondly I feel mid has to little going on for it, except the fact you can boost off players from high. But in the sense it has no real powerup to it. Sure your helping out with getting the belt for your team. I still feel that it would be a great thing to have some powerup to grab not to far from the point. Here is a image of the point, think about it and please come with suggestions:
The only thing I came up with was to put a pad right under where the high route is, which is parallel with the route to the left so you could be shot from there for example.

Keep those suggestions and thoughts coming!
Image Image Image
ulo

Re: Olden

Postby ph34r » Wed May 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Armor is already a powerup for low, and is very well placed IMO as it forces the player who owns the point to move away from it to control, creating an interesting back and forth dynamic as the enemy player comes through one of the doors. Armor was never meant for a high player unless hes trying to stay alive with amp.

Pads are already easily accessible by middle and even have a fast-grab route towards mid so they are basically already designed for middle.
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby ulo » Wed May 21, 2014 5:51 pm

Image Image Image
ulo

Postby ph34r » Wed May 21, 2014 6:26 pm

Armor is definitely worth going for playing Low. It's not too far at all and is incredibly important to control. Holding middle is already extremely advantageous position-wise so it really doesn't need any armor to make it even more dominant. Even if there was an item down the ramp to take, it wouldn't even be worth getting because 1. you give up a dominant position and 2. you need to stay in position to assist top keg-side.

The idea to move armor to the elevator is certainly interesting though, while I believe the current armor placement is perfectly fine I think your suggestion can be even better. It will make surviving with amp much easier though
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby ulo » Thu May 22, 2014 9:17 am

Yeah I think moving it to the elevator is interesting, specially since it requires low to time it since they won't have visual sight of it.

Also it was only 1 godlike on Olden through the whole last season so I am not so concerned with amp guy taking it. You can often easily be boosted off if you have the amp up high and if you get boosted of your a easy target to hunt down for the opponent.
Image Image Image
ulo

Postby khxmz » Mon May 26, 2014 11:01 am

I had no idea you could even move objects with elevators in this game. I made the armor change so far and after learning about elevators moving with objects today I got some ideas. What if there was a button in a shallow hole in the ceiling above mid point that could be shot to lower the cp down to where those 10 vials are? It could even open up another door down there with pads or armor inside just for that cp (i suppose mid player could open it for amped player to take as well if need be). This would obviously still have the same parameters as a regular lift meaning the player would have a time limit to get back on it or risk being stuck low having to walk all the way around to get back into position. I guess the CP wouldn't have to move with the lift, but I kinda want to implement it somewhere after finding out its possible.

Update: Here's what I'm talking about ->
khxmz

Postby khxmz » Tue May 27, 2014 1:56 pm

Update

-Took out the possibility of activating the CP lift from ground level.
-New version is which has the redirect file included
-Button activation cooldown - 12 seconds
-Time to grab armor and get back on lift - 3 seconds
-Both of these values can be tweaked as neccesary after we see how this idea runs in a real game.
khxmz

Postby khxmz » Thu May 29, 2014 11:50 pm

From pete after linking the map:

[23:42:40] <Pete> tbh i wouldn't touch mid cp at all on olden lol
[23:42:52] <Pete> it doesn't need nor does it require pu's
[23:42:58] <Pete> thats the glory of that point
[23:43:29] <Pete> its 1v1 with a healthpack, 3 vials, and an ammo pack with the occasional potential for a keg
[23:44:03] <Pete> that's one of my best cp's and favorite position to play there
[23:44:55] <Pete> it's a point determined by pure skill and aiming.. and no doubt not for the feint of heart
[23:45:16] <Pete> i went dominating on bug in playoffs there.. grins caught my destruction on stream lol
[23:45:41] <Pete> but neither here nor there.. i would strongly suggest not changing that point lol
khxmz

Postby windigo » Fri May 30, 2014 11:43 pm

I think it'd be cool if you could shoot the cp button in mid from the lowest level. At the very least, make it so you can dodge up from the picture.

the armor by the lower point was moved a little too close to the point. Might be better to put the armor on the rafter bridge thing and not the moving lift. Doesn't really matter all that much.

My biggest gripe with olden is playing top. I hate being just beneath it in essentially the farthest place you can be from getting back in position. Something like this might take away some of the satisfaction of knocking someone down, might make it less frustrating for scrubs like myself.

also this

The only thing I feel really strongly about is the dodge in the first pick. If the middle guy was busier top might be less of a bitch to play.
windigo

Postby ulo » Sat May 31, 2014 7:37 am

I understand Pete's point since he love the pure aim points since it's more his cup of tea. I also can agree with him to some point, but I still would love to see how this works out in a pug first.

Good that you come with suggestions windigo, but I disagree with changes to top. Playing top has it's merits in being good at moving around so your not being boosted off. Making the mid thing possible dodge up with could on the other hand be a good addition. It's not a game breaking thing but still opens up for not being being totally useless when your boosted off trying to attack mid mainly.

The great thing with Olden is the team play needed to call out incoming from different angles. Also the teamwork of top and mid, where both can play vital parts in controlling the other point is great. Then add to that mid's power over the belt in low I really like the map.

I would love to see a version with only 2 things changed.

1. The armor moved to the elevator. (cause I think this opens up low a bit more)
2. A slight current to the water from below mid to low, so it's same time going through the water as going around within 1 sec. (Think this will also open up low to be attacked from yet one more angle more often and the vials below mid opens up for low also to take.

The others might be destroying the map more then they add as pointed out (with exception of windigos mid suggestion) by different people.
Image Image Image
ulo

Postby khxmz » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Update:

Added the things ulo mentioned above to the stock version including windigos mid cp dodge ramp.
khxmz

Postby ulo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:01 am

Great work khxmz! Will try and get this version on the servers asap!
Image Image Image
ulo

Return to sDOM Maps