Cinder

Cinder

Postby ulo » Fri May 23, 2014 6:49 am

Was one of the two least picked maps overall and even though it was picked a fair few times in the reg season. I think it's missing something, it simply feels and plays more like idom then sdom, which is sad.

I love the map in idom since it's a fast paced map with different tactic opportunities. However in sdom it simply feels like both lava and top don't have much more going on for them then the idom version.

I don't really have any ideas to how to make this a more interesting map and how to make sure that both top and lava get's things that is worth controlling and going away from the point for.

So if anyone has ideas to how to improve this map please hit them up here!
Image Image Image
ulo

Re: Cinder

Postby ph34r » Fri May 23, 2014 9:39 am

We tried numerous powerup positions to help it play more like sdom and none of them worked. Cant be helped, it's an idom map. Would rather see it removed and deck/curse/some new map replace it.
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Re: Cinder

Postby ulo » Sat May 31, 2014 6:21 pm

I got in contact with the Original makers of sDOM and the sDOM maps Istaria and Zeh and gave them a server to have a look on the maps in. Since they had not played a few of the maps they only took a closer look on the maps they had played and one of them was Cinder. They tried to make it work and had a couple of ideas for the map back when they made the original CB maps, but after discussing with them and getting a few ideas back and forth Zeh sat down and made a few edit to it. So here comes the changes made. (There are a few things not covered in this post but I will give the dl link in the end so all can have a look themself).

First off they had a idea of moving the Lava control point, so not to make that room the center of the map and make it so hectic and idom like.
It was moved to the back elevator room for top. The spawn points in the hall visible via the windows have been removed.
Instead there is a armor there which can be both contended by 'Corner' as the new point is called and Nook.
The yellow area is instead of a elevator which would have made the Corner and top spot to close to each other there is a slope that it's able to be boosted up via so you can still get from the back way onto top.

Above 'Corner' Point:
First off the amp has been moved to make for a horizontal boost instead of the vertical it used to have. Also the only possible escape route is via Corner, making it easy to collapse on and will require some pre stacking or good team play to make it survive.
You also see a health pack that has been moved from top and the upper part of the slope.

Old spawnroom:
Keg has been moved and is also in need of being boosted to. So it's harder to stack up on it while being amped or such unless your team has good teamwork.
A trio of vials is also added for extra bonus if the top guy goes all the way over here.
On the bottom is a pad that is reachable from Corner and also able to be picked up when attacking top or Corner by guy spawning in Lava room.

Portal entrance:
At the old Belt position there now is a portal, which might seem controversial, but I think it's essential to opening the map up as will be shown in next shot.

Portal exit:
This is where you end up if you take the portal. It's a essential part of the map with the second elevator gone to have yet another way of attacking top.

Shield Belt:
The spawn there has of course been taken away. To make space for the belt. On right side of the hole is 2 vials also.

Lava spawn room:
So instead of a point room Lava is now the new central spawn room. Here is 3 of the new spawns.

Lava spawn room 2:
Fourth spawn in Lava room and instead of the Armor it used to have there is now a pad instead.

And lastly there is a Armor added here which is able to be contested by both Top if they want and Nook.

So all in all I think those changes will make the map a very team oriented map with lots of important communication being made. Giving top info on where attackers is arriving is crucial for the edge on that point. Good team play is also needed to get great amp runs, specially since your in a vulnerable place once you have taken it.

There is a fair few powerups, but I think the pace of the map works with it and also the ability for different points to help each other out will be just as crucial as controlling the powerups, making for a very interesting map.

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k6qgk0dlos8h ... er-GU2.unr

Hope you guys like the changes made and feel free to leave comments on it!
Image Image Image
ulo

Return to sDOM Maps