DOM-Cinder

4v4 sDOM II

DOM-Cinder

Postby ulo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 6:57 pm

We are proud to present one the maps we have been working on improving. It was among the least picked maps last season and one of those who often received words of playing like idom.

With this in mind we wanted to try and make something of this map, however none of us had any real thoughts on how to improve it. Thankfully I did get in contact with the inventors of sDOM and makers of the original sDOM maps, Istaria and Zeh. So with their help and suggestions and a bit of thoughts going back and forth Zeh was kind enough to edit the map.

This is what we came up with in regards to the changes:

First off they had a idea of moving the Lava control point, so not to make that room the center of the map and make it so hectic and idom like.
It was moved to the back elevator room for top. The spawn points in the hall visible via the windows have been removed.
Instead there is a armor there which can be both contended by 'Corner' as the new point is called and Nook.
The yellow area is instead of a elevator which would have made the Corner and top spot to close to each other there is a slope that it's able to be boosted up via so you can still get from the back way onto top.

Above 'Corner' Point:
First off the amp has been moved to make for a horizontal boost instead of the vertical it used to have. Also the only possible escape route is via Corner, making it easy to collapse on and will require some pre stacking or good team play to make it survive.
You also see a health pack that has been moved from top and the upper part of the slope.

Old spawnroom:
Keg has been moved and is also in need of being boosted to. So it's harder to stack up on it while being amped or such unless your team has good teamwork.
A trio of vials is also added for extra bonus if the top guy goes all the way over here.
On the bottom is a pad that is reachable from Corner and also able to be picked up when attacking top or Corner by guy spawning in Lava room.

Portal entrance:
At the old Belt position there now is a portal, which might seem controversial, but I think it's essential to opening the map up as will be shown in next shot.

Portal exit:
This is where you end up if you take the portal. It's a essential part of the map with the second elevator gone to have yet another way of attacking top.

Shield Belt:
The spawn there has of course been taken away. To make space for the belt. On right side of the hole is 2 vials also.

Lava spawn room:
So instead of a point room Lava is now the new central spawn room. Here is 3 of the new spawns.

Lava spawn room 2:
Fourth spawn in Lava room and instead of the Armor it used to have there is now a pad instead.

And lastly there is a Armor added here which is able to be contested by both Top if they want and Nook.

So all in all I think those changes will make the map a very team oriented map with lots of important communication being made. Giving top info on where attackers is arriving is crucial for the edge on that point. Good team play is also needed to get great amp runs, specially since your in a vulnerable place once you have taken it.

There is a fair few powerups, but I think the pace of the map works with it and also the ability for different points to help each other out will be just as crucial as controlling the powerups, making for a very interesting map.

There are a few more changes made, but it's easier if you all have a look at the map yourself. It should soon be up on the servers for play testing also and then we want your feedback to keep improving it!

Download link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2k6qgk0dlos8h ... er-GU2.unr
Image Image Image
ulo

Re: DOM-Cinder

Postby ph34r » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:28 am

I don't think there's any doubt that of the 9 maps we currently have in rotation, Cinder is the weakest on the list. I'm all for trying new edits of Cinder just honestly not sure it's fixable. This is a pretty major overhaul though so looking forward to trying it out. Just the fact that Zeh was involved in editing this baby makes me very hyped to play it. For those that don't know he designed a lot of the original sDOM maps including the most popular ones still played. Key thing with these new maps and edits is to get them on servers as soon as humanly possible since the time we have to playtest them is very limited. n0b? <3
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby Junkyardboy » Mon Jun 02, 2014 1:14 pm

Cinder looks better. it looks like a lot less of a cluster fuck.

I like the new addition and changed position of the amp & belt. I also like the addition of the portal to the high point.

Looks better already...+ lava room was worst control point room in my opinion.
Junkyardboy

Postby windigo » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:59 pm

Getting rid of the lava control point was a good move. Thought the map flowed much nicer without 2-4 people constantly head butting in the lava room and nook/top not having to wade through the shit storm to get back into position. That teleporter is pretty sweet too. Anyone spawning near nook that's playing the new control point can probably just use the tele. Seemed to be what my team mates sort of did, when they weren't screaming get anguis and letting me get 2v1'd the whole map.

no control points show up in hud
windigo

Postby kud » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:33 pm

thought i posted here already, but I liked the new version. we played 2 up top, 1 boost room, 1 nook. a lot of teamwork needed from the 3 playing top/boost room. top can help out with boost room quite a bit if they get into the habit of getting a boost back up top.
kud
Walder Frey

Postby ph34r » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:54 pm

Last edited by ph34r on Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby dR3 » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:18 pm

After the edits, is the map called DOM-Cinder-GU2.unr again? If so: please give a new name after edits to prevent mismatches in ut. That prevents people having to close their ut, find the map and remove it, download the new map from the server.

Edit: those edits look great though!
dR3

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:52 am

Played it yesterday. It plays a lot less like idom.

Concerns over the boost room point in that it basically only has one fairly thin entrance that the boost guy can constantly aim at, even from behind windows. Of course you can drop on it from top or come from nook but neither of these are overly practical for the person playing the 1v1 there.

I liked the fact that all the points were so interlinked and the support guy could easily move from one point to another to help out. It took me a while to work out what was the best thing to do. I think it would also be a very strong map on comms/team play due to this.
Monk
Salty

Postby Morpheus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:59 am

finally read the changes and i have to tell you this is a total revamp of the map.

Nuke and top just needed little tweaks because they had a nice flow. Lava needed the serious tweak.

This map will have conflicts and this will be like no other idom map...this won't play out like cinder we use to know lol

The rotations will have like a HUGE impact here since the nuke guy can rotate too easily and top guy as well. I dont think this is positive at all lol my opinion is that 2 good teams will have low points each. It is too easy to rotate from one point to another and you can abuse it...

This needs some testing from people that actually know the mode before it is approved

i don't like it personally, cinder always had a frag touch instead of rotational touch...no idom map is easy to rotate on without having some kind of disadvantage. i see none on this map and i dislike it because of it

i haven't played it tho
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby HULKSMASH » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:50 am

I played the spot in question and yes it is hectic... but not in the 'fun' way you were hoping for. While I can appreciate what the edits are aiming for - it is far too limited.

The only 'fast' and viable route to the boost room is through the corridor. Which means that if somebody grabs armour and aims at that door, it's almost impossible to take point back. Full stop. In lava at least you had three viable routes - now you only really have one.

Going through top, or running all the way round the armour corridor both take waaaay too long - costing only more DOM points.

The fact that there are only 2 vials at armour / the entrance door each is also completely retarded - because if you run to get that 3rd vial to up your health (that, by the way you have to jump for because it's stuck behind fucking bricks), someone will have tapped the point again and you will have to run all the way around again through yet another narrow corridor that the person on the point will be once again expectantly aiming at.

It also completely makes lava and the area to nook completely obsolete - yet you sometimes still spawn in this dead zone, leaving no option but to suicide.

Basically it is either 20 mins of aiming at the corridor or dying in the corridor. b3ST Fr4gs 4lw4ys w1n.

BG.
HULKSMASH

Postby InfamousRaider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:13 am

InfamousRaider

Postby Monk » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:23 am

Monk
Salty

Postby Morpheus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:43 am

Morpheus
Robin

Postby InfamousRaider » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:56 pm

It's nook, not nuke. Two totally different things.
InfamousRaider

Postby Morpheus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:06 pm

Morpheus
Robin

Postby Istaria » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Istaria

Postby RickJames » Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:32 am

RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Junkyardboy » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:37 pm

Honestly...i Really like the dom point near amp, the ability to boost someone from low to high is cool...i think the map would be best played having one person on each point and a floater player roaming from nook to amp to high
Junkyardboy

Postby kud » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:48 pm

i kind of assumed one of the high players would drop down to support the boost room, and then get a fast boost up when their teammate gets back
kud
Walder Frey

Postby InfamousRaider » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:56 pm

Put a spawn in the armor corridor and delete a useless one, that way they are forced to look at 2 entrances. That spawn could also be good for nuke
InfamousRaider

Postby Monk » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:12 am

I always played rotation on Cinder even in iDOM. Best tactic there was 1 @ lava and 1 rotating between top/nook/lava.

It opens up so much more tactically on a map if you have something where it isn't just 4 people standing in one particular place (which makes it frag power), so rotation just leads to increased dependence on teamplay and coordination imo. That's not to say that every map should be like this, but I definitely don't think that "rotation is strong on this map" is a downside. It will be tough for pugs, same like Olden was in iDOM because too much teamplay is required :p. Should be awesome for matches though.
Monk
Salty

Postby ph34r » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:31 pm

ph34r

Postby kE » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:08 pm

Played nook in pug and I'm still raging about the 2 vials instead of 3. That's so freaking annoying and useless. U have to be out of position twice for the small heal-up to matter, while u have lots of armours around as well.

I guess this is an improvement on the original, but in the end it's still a worse map than the others imo for sdom. I would suggest to just remove cinder completely and in a total new map.
kE

Postby Xenoscythe » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:04 am

I majorly dislike the health pack position on the corner position, it basically gives the player entering the room an extra shots worth of life, on top of the extra one they already have from all the vials in the rooms previous, so the corner guy has to shoot him 4 times to get the kill.

Makes it so you pretty much have to defend the room from on the stairs/healthpack, stale and boring!

Rest of the map is now perfect imo, love the boost and teleporters great new mechanics.
ImageImage
Xenoscythe

Postby bug » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:57 am

has the rate of spawning high been altered? i rarely spawn high as a nook player and this takes much variety to flank nook from different positions.
on idom (zp) i very often spawned high
bug

Return to Global.sDOM II