Community Etiquette and Expectations for New Players

irc.utchat.com #iPug

Re: Community Etiquette and Expectations for New Players

Postby HuMPtY » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:43 pm

honestly clankiller .. some people are just bad losers .. theyre idiots if they blamed you or acidreign for anything .. teams were as even as they could of been looking at it , duku atleast was pretty close.
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby Dewsick » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:46 pm

I think maybe we should arrange a field day, two players 1000+ players pick up the new guys, and organise a pug/match where you can get them into routine in pugging. The idea of GU is not only to get people in the public servers but also help people get into the pugging environment.

I definitely think we should carry on with .j epicpug. This gives everyone an option (600-700+) to pug without any additional stress of under 500 material.

So, my opinion overall? You can't let lower skilled players not play, that's dumb and retarded. What we all need to do is try to cherish the fact that we're what's left(?) of competitive Unreal Tournament IG. Some players will get older, start a family and have no time to play, or get a new job which isolates them, people selling PC's/PC's breaking and so fourth.
Come together, suck up your worthless pride and help people. It doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Even 10 mins is useful, better than nothing.
(23:04:46) holder › y shut up (23:04:47) holder › little bitch (23:05:00) vitrae › SRY (23:05:00) vitrae › BRO (23:05:04) vitrae › went to the kitchen (23:05:05) vitrae › get some (23:05:08) vitrae › glass of milk
Dewsick
Hans Moleman

Postby CLANKILLER » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:49 pm

sorry wrong stat game, that one i was crashed out over 5mins, and the team did well 2-2 while i was gone.. only when i got back they got 2 caps lol..

http://www.globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=6946 was the one, 961 - 791 team kill difference and 9-4 loss.. and i felt i played a better game aswell lol..

CK..
CLANKILLER

Postby unrealshots » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:55 pm

Zyke is me Clankiller. It's not IR lol. but ya the 3d tactic was pretty fucking gay on Duku idk why they needed it pantera felt the urge to chase n just sit in the base most of the time. I had to triple kill just to touch the flag.
Image Image ·GU I PBR Quarter Finalist· ·GU II roflnation Winner· ·GU III \\cG Semi Finalist· ·GU IV \\'. Finalist· ·GU V iB. Winner·
unrealshots
Batman

Postby PACO » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:57 pm

PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby CLANKILLER » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:58 pm

CLANKILLER

Postby CLANKILLER » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:03 pm

CLANKILLER

Postby kud » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:05 pm

Assuming the goal is to get more people playing UT over time, I like the idea of keeping the barrier to entry low. I think it's also important to insure a competitive playing experience, because that's why we're all still playing. Tricky indeed.
kud
Walder Frey

Postby RickJames » Fri Sep 07, 2012 6:39 pm

Let me offer my 2 cents as someone who was brand new to ut (and online gaming in general) a little over a year ago. When I first played ig, and was new to ut, I could barely get 11 frags. I then played mostly weapons tdm for a year (minus my inactivity during the fall and spring due to school). Now, after just 20 or so ictf pugs in #ipug spread out over that year, I'm at a level where I can hold my own in any pug. I feel that I improved mainly because of my desire for competitive play. I made friends with (and picked up tips from) a lot of notorious ragers/trolls because they recognized that I had the desire and potential for improvement.

As such, I think that there should only be two criteria for pugging in #ipug:
1. A desire to play competitively and improve
-Of course, there's nothing wrong with playing to have fun, but if you treat pugs like nothing more than organized pubs, you aren't gaining anything from pugging. You have to be willing to devote effort to improving, and you need to have a thirst for competition. If you just want to sit in front of your pc and "shoot the guns", pub servers are available that fill much faster than pugs do. Pugs should be fun, but the fun comes from the challenge.
2. A minimum of ut experience
-All I mean by this is that players who've been playing ut for a week and don't know what dodging is will improve faster in pubs.

I don't think that there needs to be any means of enforcing these criteria- I think that things like "achievements" and "pictf" are silly and will just hurt activity. I do think that new players should be aware of them, though, so that they can decide if pugging is for them or not. If a new player has the right mindset, then they are an asset, not a detriment, to a competitive community
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby vitz^ » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:04 pm

vitz^

Postby Feisar » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:06 pm

Full support of PACO's statements

I like JYB's Achievement suggestion, ya know just 1 or 2 simple ones, nothing too elaborate, it may actually be something fun for new players to try, something they can actually succeed, i can imagine showing my n00b friend to do it and unlike getting his ass spanked on a pub or pug and never wanting to play it again, actually enjoying trying to win an achievable challenge in single player. Lets face it the Single player mode in UT is not very good or expansive, setting our own challenges kinda compensates for it a bit and at the same time ensures every pugger has some basic skill level.

There used to be a Public server when i first started playing i think 2003/2004, called 'TRUFFS NEWBIE FRIENDLY SERVER', or something like that, NW (Reg wep) i think and only new players were allowed, i was forever banned after 1 day, i think that was just standard procedure, i dunno whether they somehow managed to code it to ban an IP 24 hours after playing or whether an admin was present and banned once a player was deemed to be good enough...

basically it was a nice place to play and cut my UT teeth, new player see that server name and knows straight away theres somewhere they can play where they dont get trashed.
Global.iCTF I - Champions (·shøckWave·)
Feisar

Postby Carras » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:20 pm

nothing's gonna change. just be nice.
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby HuMPtY » Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:19 am

just be niceXD
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby Junkyardboy » Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:02 pm

Bring back LMS public server with pub server with kill count, max 8 slots, 4-6 spectators, great maps and some rule enforcing. NOOBS LOVE LMS...how do I know this? I was a noob once and that's where I started. It was the only game mode where I actually had a chance of winning and still learning to stay alive.
You learn how to "arena".

It's wicked for pro's because it's awesome target practice. It's wicked for noobs because it's also target practice, but they also can focus more on survival and get satisfaction of winning a pug by playing conservative a bit more.
Junkyardboy

Postby krm` » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:06 am

2 cents.

Why don't you reverse the scenario and look at it as a challenge? What can YOU do as a $700+ player to carry your team to victory with a "handicap". Would it be falling back a little bit more? Locking down D? Choosing a map that maximizes your teammates skill set? Chasing a player that you know will get angry and lose focus? etc. etc.

To me there is nothing more gratifying than winning with an underdog team.

There's no reason to cut down people and put down their skill level. The ultimate goal is to keep this game alive.

-krm`
krm`

Postby Bryan » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:18 pm

^spot on post. +1
MLIGCTF ZP III : MLIGCTF ZP IV : MLCTF XXIII
Bryan

Postby Carras » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:44 pm

if you repeatedly chase a good player that happens to be an admin, you're banned bro
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby kud » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:37 pm

I played you, sj, you're fine for pugs.
kud
Walder Frey

Postby krm` » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:14 pm

I like how you take one part of my post and negate everything else I mentioned. Tunnel vision?

Stop focusing on the negatives and try and improve the community, not bring it down.
krm`

Previous

Return to #iPug