Tickrate

irc.utchat.com #iPug

Tickrate

Postby Feisar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:59 pm

I just wanted to bring to your attention some tests that were done a while back on Tickrate and make sure you were aware of it

With 30TR the hitbox specifies that you can hit any one of those players models and make the frags (i.e miss and still frag)

With 40TR this much

and 100TR its insane

What does this mean for UT?

Well... it means that people are able to miss and still hit, it devalues a players ability to aim finely and turns complete novices into skilled players

It means that everyone is hitting stupid ACC outta their ass, because they are actually getting acredited for misses

It means some maps are being ruined because the game is becoming frag heavy and a case of whoever sees each other first

It means the art of flag running is dying

It means complete irregularity of the hit boxes

It means that everyone is generally happy because they are typically hitting higher ACC and frags than they REALLY should be doing

It decreases the noticibility of lag, as its possible to frag even with a delayed bullet, due to the increased models to hit

So is it a good thing? i'm not 100% sure either way tbh, i just think we should perhaps evaluate it to make sure we have the right setting, CB used 35, i'd argue thats too low, iPUG uses 100, once again.. perhaps this is excessive
Global.iCTF I - Champions (·shøckWave·)
Feisar

Re: Tickrate

Postby TimTim » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:13 pm

TimTim

Postby Sonic|^ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:35 pm

Lol, so hits being detected more accurately is bad?
Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby Sunny » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 pm

its not hits being detected more accurately... its shots that u arent meant to be hitting registering as kills u monkey
Sunny

Postby Feisar » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:40 pm

Ah ok TimTim, so long as its been accounted for

Sonic, from what im told, it means that frags are registering for misses, i,e the player didn't deserve to make that frag and it worries me if inaccuracy is awarded

btw Tim, what the hell is this weird Alien soul thingy that comes outta skins at frag stage? :|

Global.iCTF I - Champions (·shøckWave·)
Feisar

Postby Sauron » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:43 pm

Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby Sonic|^ » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:48 pm

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby CLANKILLER » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:14 am

so timtim are you saying if the servers at set at 100TR then its best to run at 100fps to get an accurate account on screen? you said at 30TR = 30fps?
CLANKILLER

Postby TimTim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:20 am

Yeah that's about right CK but higher fps than 100 wouldn't make much of a difference at all unless someone is moving absurdly fast across your screen.

With a low tick in reg, it's harder to hit people because your shots are essentially going straight through the enemy player model if you just so happened to have fired between position updates.
TimTim

Postby CLANKILLER » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:24 am

and the servers we use have 100TR set i believe. so 120hz monitors are gonna be setup pretty good straight away playing on them. so a person on a 60hz playing on a 100TR server is at a disadvantage no?
CLANKILLER

Postby TimTim » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:31 am

It is a very slight disadvantage, yes, but definitely not a deal breaker by any means. Unrealshots, the top ranked player of this season, has played on 60hz up until recently.
TimTim

Postby CLANKILLER » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:47 am

i am on 144hz so its not like i am looking for an excuse to my crap play lol... i am trying to find a sweet spot for my setup thats all..
CLANKILLER

Postby Morpheus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:27 am

ahah Same thing here feisar! I told this a long time ago! But it is not possible on newnet :cry:

Games would be so different with 35 tickrate 8-) so much more skill involved :cry: :(
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby Sauron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:28 pm

Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby Morpheus » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby Sauron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:45 pm

You don't seem to be able to comprehend what TR actually does...it has been explained pretty thoroughly and you still are misunderstanding it...
Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby Junkyardboy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:26 pm

If a lower tickrate results in lower accuracy averages and harder to hit targets, I'm all up for it.

I've personally never had any issues with 35 tickrate servers other than the fact that the movements feel like shit. Your dodges and strafs (in a euro server) feel like mud!

Set the server to 20 tickrate or 2000 tickrate, I'm still the best 8-)
Junkyardboy

Postby mintek » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:01 pm

It seems some people are not understanding tick rates at all and these pictures certainly dont help. The pictures are poorly done, tick rate doesent make you able to hit that huge wave you see on the screenshots you clowns. Tickrate is simple, its the equivalent of FPS for the server or the HZ of a monitor, its the frequency at which the server will update its information over a second. Essentially the picture doesent reflect anything of reality, no one walk across deck in a frame and make 500 refresh of location across the map. There is no negative effect done to a server by running the highest possible tick rates in theory. Its dependant on engines and to alot of things, also dependant on the machine and well the playersl.

Tick rate does not make shot easier, infact it makes them harder, or more accurate(which can translate in easier if you actually aim at your target). 100 tick rate, every second the server will update 100 times per second. It will update players location, which means that if you are in good sync with the server, you are more likely to hit the target, because you will have a more updated location of where your target is, in that 1/100th of a second.

Again these screenshot are for all purpose absolutly useless if you dont understand what you are looking at. Look at the final one, this is more then 1 second, this is literally 3-5 seconds of movements ingame. What the screenshot show you is that the server updated the player location 300-500 times during that time. It doesent mean you can hit every refresh of the players you see in the screen shot. All it means is that if you shot every single players you see in the screen shot in those frames, at the time they were there it would be a hit. Take note AT THE TIME they were there, not before, not after. <===.

Now lets look at screenshot 1, that movement was less then a second(a little less then 1/3 of a second) and the screenshot shows 11 refresh of the model in movement. What this mean is that since the refresh is this much slower, if you shot the player while he was between where his current crosshair is, between frame 6 and 7, it would be a miss, even if for all you could see the target was there. It doesent mean that you can hit every player on the screen shot. What it means is that for the server between frame 6 and 7 of that 35 tick per second, the server has no idea what was going on. It will not know what is going on and you will miss.

In theory the more tick rate the more accurate anything ingame will be. Theres limitations to the engine, hardware and internet. It doesent make things easier, unless you somehow come to the conclusion that missing enemy mid movement on your screen because the server was not yet in sync is skills. 35 tickrate is not unplayable, its just less accurate, the game was build to counter that with big hit box and gun that are pretty easy to use, meaning that the hitbox cover more ground and takes longer to move out of the way from frames to frames, higher tick rate hit box will move out of the way at the same speed, but smoother across more frames. The lower thick rate can still make you miss despite these compensation made by epic game. Higher tickrate simply make the movement of the hit box more smooth across frames, meaning that you are more likely to hit your target, when you are supposed to. Also note the quicker the movements are, the more important higher tick rate becomes. Say you are using a jump pad, the extra speed will strech picture 1 into even bigger arc but still keep those 11 refresh, meaning you are more likely to miss the player at increased speed, because its all time based.

PS: for 10 years clowns keep posting those screenshot and go, damn dude look at 100 tick rates, i can shoot anywhere in deck and frag the guy. Fucking clowns i tell you.
mintek

Postby kud » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:30 pm

kud
Walder Frey

Postby Bizmonkey » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:44 pm

Bizmonkey

Postby mintek » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 pm

mintek

Postby TimTim » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:14 pm

Good job mintek and kud on clarifying some stuff.

I will reiterate though on one point: hitboxes remain the same exact size at all times regardless of tickrate. The only thing a high tickrate affects is the accuracy of the hit registration; everything is much more accurate than with a low tickrate, which helps keep everything that players see on their screen true to what happens on the server.
TimTim

Postby edge » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:20 pm

edge

Postby CLANKILLER » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:55 pm

so does this setting matter to us in our ini file?
NetServerMaxTickRate=50

should that be changed to 100 or does it even matter to us...
CLANKILLER

Postby kud » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:24 pm

doesn't matter. that setting is only used when you start your own server.
kud
Walder Frey

Next

Return to #iPug