easiest way to mirror a map?

easiest way to mirror a map?

Postby kud » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:53 am

I usually edit maps instead of creating them from scratch. how do you make symmetrical maps without manually building everything twice? is there an easy way to copy and paste the brushes etc?

edit: it just occurred to me that I could build half the map, then "select all brushes" to copy and paste. that shouldn't be difficult. still, pretty hacky
kud
Walder Frey

Re: easiest way to mirror a map?

Postby TimTim » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:45 am

Yeah there's really no existing automated way to do this but it's pretty simple anyway. Although, one thing that might help with textures or lighting (e.g., converting red to blue) on a large scale is to keep a working copy of the map, just one side, and do a mass replace of the textures or whatever to create the other side; then rotate everything 180 degrees, copy it into the working copy of the map, and make sure to "Save As..." to ensure the working copy still remains for mass editing.

Or to take it a step further (on a programmatic level), you can export the working copy to the .t3d format, run a script that replaces all the proper patterns (e.g., red textures/lighting/etc.) with the opposite side's (e.q., blue textures/lighting/etc.), import that .t3d file, rotate it, and Save As.

For some maps though all of that would be overkill, but for others where it could get really tedious manually mirroring everything, it'd definitely save some time and effort.
TimTim

Postby HumaK » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:21 am

Well, you shouldn't just do "Select All Brushes" but "Select All". You can also press Ctrl+Alt and Left mouseclick in Top view and drag your mouse over the stuff you want to select. I use this because I build one base and the mid and I only want to duplicate the base.

After that's it's just adjusting the light to the base and changing base banners, flags, spawns etc.
HumaK

Postby kud » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:07 am

kud
Walder Frey

Postby HumaK » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm

You're welcome :-)
HumaK

Return to UT99 Mapping Discussion