CTF-Elsinore][

CTF-Elsinore][

Postby Einheit » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:59 pm

Hey there!
Despite the fact that the mapping competition is over, I worked at my maybe worst map CTF-Elsinore.
And because I think that it's quite useless to wait almost a year to tell you about it: There you go.

I hope I could improve everything:
- A new mid
- A new upper area, which is wider and easier to reach
- Removed the lower area
- Cleaned up the middle lanes
- Smaller bases
- Flag-to-flag time now 11 sec

The map is not puggable right now (spawns etc.) but I hope for some feedback, maybe there is someone to help me.
In general there are some maps from the competition, wich deserve a second chance, e.g. BollWerk.
I hope we can make some quality maps, even if its not in a competitive way.

Get CTF-Elsinore][ versions here:

External texture pack:

Two outer lanes were added, you can reach the middle area from there by using a kicker:

The upper lane with lifts:

A shorter base with wider lifts, which are better to reach:

The new mid with two kickers under the fissure:

The 23_04 version:
Last edited by Einheit on Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Einheit

Re: CTF-Elsinore][

Postby unrealshots » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:14 am

looks like a good weapons map *just looking at the screenshots that is *
Image Image ·GU I PBR Quarter Finalist· ·GU II roflnation Winner· ·GU III \\cG Semi Finalist· ·GU IV \\'. Finalist· ·GU V iB. Winner·
unrealshots
Batman

Postby TimTim » Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:57 am

Whoa dude! This easily your best work so far. You have some serious mapping skills, and I think you're getting a hang of what folks are looking for in a map. I'll try to remember to put this on servers next time I get a chance.
TimTim

Postby Einheit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:24 pm

A version with some temporary spawns can be found .
Should be playable now.

It would be nice if you guys made videos while playing it in a PUG. That would help very much.
Einheit

Postby Anderson » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:53 pm

This is one of the coolest mids I've ever seen. Seriously, the cracks, fans, fog, the textures go together incredibly. I just kinda flew around to check it out. The only thing that really bothers me is the misaligned textures on the curves and a few on the floor. I'm a mapper so I'm looking for stuff like this all the time. You can make a good looking map so align your textures and let them make you're map look even better! :) If you're curious on how to I can show you how to do it.

You can see what I did here, its not lined up perfectly but from anywhere but really close up it looks pretty good. Also the brick on the flag symbol can be lined up a little better pretty easily.

Also if you have long rectangular lights, if you take like, maybe 5 or so coronas and line them up on the light, it will look more realistic coming off, I just did this quick but you get the point :)

This is just some preference for this particular situation but if the texture you wanted to align was say, the walls of the crack in the ground, they are too vertical to use align to floor and will look bad. The same little trick to align these rocks you'd probably use EVERY time you make terrain. The one on the left I aligned differently to minimize the blur towards the bottom.

The fog looks amazing but its probably gonna lag people, I lagged a little bit when a looked up from the middle but maybe it will be fine. Fog is so cool looking, such a shame its so demanding:(

Little details like this impress me in a mapper , sorry if I'm being nit picky!
Anderson

Postby Einheit » Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:50 pm

Ok, I'm going to do all this. The alignment of curved walls is very interesting, because I was always struggeling with that. In this case I was too lazy to do the alignment on a beta version, which might change ;) I usually rotate the brush so I can align the textures to floor. If you have a better technique, tell me!
Would be a great help for everyone if that could be done faster, better, easier.
And thanks for the feedback!

PS: but your realigned rocks would need an upscale about 2 imo
Einheit

Postby khxmz » Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:06 am

Give this guy a medal :arrow:
khxmz

Postby PACO » Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:03 am

I ran through the map and must say that I am impressed with it. It would probably need some adjustments for pugs but the premise is solid and I quite like the way that you did the fans. Two thumbs up.
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby Einheit » Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 am

Latest version:

- Two more lanes to enter the base
- Each lane has a kicker, which gives access to the upper part of the base for attackers
- Hopefully more balance (easier to attack now)
- Some retexturing with HourNature_UT (not yet MyLeveled, get it here: http://www.files.unrealtournament.info/ ... ds/textur/ )

Get Elsinore_07_05 here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/099327
Einheit

Postby Einheit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:15 am

Despite the OVERWHELMING feedback for my last version of Elsinore I made some improvements and would like to ask you to tell my which layout of the map you prefer. I could make a puggable version then

Get here.

The red boxes mark the side rooms. The upper shot shows the old version, which is smaller and has these stages.
The lower screenshot shoes the new version, which is about 256 world units wider and has the stages which are only accessible from the kicker or the spawns on them.

The green boxes mark the holes in the stage in the flagroom. In the new version they are gone.
Pros:
- One does not fall down now
- It might be not so easy to defend from high now
Cons:
- Defenders now can shoot attackers who enter from low in the back, the old version gave the attackers a chance to shoot them through the holes

The pink box marks ramp threatment for the stairs. I think everyone will prefer this.

The pic below shows the old (right) and the new layout (left). The new layout should set the average spawn further back but the same time not closer to the flag. The new layout would fit better to the wider version of the siderooms.

------------------------------------------------------------------

These pics show the entirely new and shorter mid area.

I don't think I have to tell very much about the blue boxes. The opened version makes it just more difficult to cross the mid. I really don't know which version is better.

The white boxes are about the kickers. The upper screenshot shows a layout which fits to the passage to the outer lanes, while its more difficult to jump from lower mid to high. This kicker kicks you up with a value of 900 and to the mid with a value of 100
The lower screenshot would fit more to a closed outer lane. It currently kicks you straight upwards with 800.

Because I'm not really pleased with the mid right now I'm also open for entirely new ideas or modifications to the old version.

Einheit

Postby evilgrins » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 pm

What's the bot-pathing like?
Have you hugged a Skaarj today? http://unreal-games.livejournal.com/
evilgrins

Postby Hook » Fri Nov 07, 2014 11:24 am

=Hook= Forum -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net SERVER NAME: CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER / PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer / PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
Hook

Return to UT99 Mapping Discussion