SDOM map

SDOM map

Postby windigo » Fri May 23, 2014 3:33 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cp2s7f

It's hideous because I need a little feedback on the layout before I go crazy with decorations and junk.
windigo

Re: SDOM map

Postby RickJames » Fri May 23, 2014 5:19 pm

The whole premise is bad. Many of the main ways of getting to points are tons of ramps, which gives people up top a huge positional advantage. This general design with all of these ramps just will not work in a DOM mod.

Slime walls and slime pits surrounding points? Why on earth would you want to make it harder to get to the points?

And the powerups are positioned so that you have to go out of your way and put yourself in bad positions to get to them. This makes pus useless, since at the end of the day positioning and point control are the most important things in DOM, and you don't want the risk to outweigh the reward.

Pugs where a team has an amped player that goes godlike and still loses are not uncommon. This isn't a bad thing, but with this in mind, it's not hard to see how a map with pus less convenient than the existing ones would make them useless.

I'd rather see another dm map edit: Perhaps richocet, mojo, turbine, or a scaled down decifer (look it up, really cool map).
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby windigo » Sat May 24, 2014 8:27 pm

gfada
Last edited by windigo on Sat May 24, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
windigo

Postby khxmz » Sun May 25, 2014 10:58 am

Overall I think you did a really good job with the map so far. I could definitely see this being more popular than some of last seasons maps with a few tweaks and adjustments. I decided to name your points temporarily just to make it easier to talk about them.

Ramps: 1v1 Point?
Stats:
1 - 150 Belt (Far)
1 - 100 Armor (Close)
1 - 50 Armor (Close)
2 - Health Packs (Close)
3 - Vials (Close)
1 - Health Pack (Far)
6 - Vials (Far)

Clouds: 2v2 point for when amp is coming up, one guy stacking and floating in preparation?
Extra guy can aid Ramps CP depending on how fast enemies return
Stats:
1 - KEG (Med)
2 - 100 Armor (Close)
2 - Health Packs (Close)
3 - Vials (Close)
6 - Vials (Med)
Amp & KEG - Under CP
Many more things (Far)

Bridge: 1v1 Point?
Stats:
1 - 150 Belt (Far)
1 - 100 Armor (Far)
1 - Health Pack (Close)
3 - Vials (Close)

-Stayed true to your style, people will know this is a windigo map
-Good interactions between multiple CPs fighting over powerups
-Multiple ways to boost to amp (hoping the pad boost is only moderately difficult), Bridge CP can move to boost if needed

Dislikes:
-Could be hard to shut down amps with multiple armors and a KEG in close proximity, as well as many health packs and vials grouped up in center of map
-I realize this is a WIP, but I think there could be a few more landmarks to help players navigate and learn the map faster
-Bridge CP doesn't have much going for it, the 3 vials it has are dangerous to grab, maybe add pads and/or another set of vials

Not too sure what to think about the spawns until I actually get into a game to test. This version would have been ready to test if you named the CP's and had the powerups configured correctly imo. Don't forget to set the KEGs to 200 Health and Amp's Charge to 15000. Looking forward to next version.
khxmz

Postby RickJames » Sun May 25, 2014 11:13 am

I honestly thought the latest version was intended to troll me, with the slime pits everywhere and ridiculous pu locations.

I mean, seriously? This map is full of useless crap and the design is inherently bad for the reasons I stated.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby khxmz » Sun May 25, 2014 11:39 am

The only slime zones with huge impact is the slime wall behind Ramps CP. People will probably get shot into the slime lake by Clouds CP but that's a risk that windigo has chosen to put into his map. Too many ramps isn't really a valid argument imo and he worked on that in this version as well. Peak is littered with ramps and is one of the most popular maps in the mod. Like I said in my other post, I think this map is worth playtesting rather than just writing it off altogether in what is clearly a WIP (Rick).
khxmz

Postby RickJames » Sun May 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Peak works because you have to play on the points, not to mention that standing on the ramps means you'll get shot into space. On this map, you can see the guy coming a mile away (problem in itself) and he's always going to be coming at you from a thinner, upward sloping platform, so when you boost him he moves farther backwards than if he was on a flat surface. Very easy to peak the ramps and abuse the high ground position. It's basic DOM positioning stuff, maybe not so obvious to point-and-click players.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby windigo » Sun May 25, 2014 6:25 pm

windigo

Postby windigo » Mon May 26, 2014 9:28 am

windigo

Postby Hermione » Mon May 26, 2014 11:10 am

These maps are way to big, I don't mean to say sdom requires small maps, but sdom is perfect on mid sized map such as peak and the underground one. You're maps are to big, same problem with the other maps. To much running around and getting lost in these big maps will bore people to death and piss them off. I'm seeing far to much portals, slime walls, and bouncers.. which is grotesque especially in sdom. Your introducing the same problems from your last maps and implementing them again into these maps, those things are what caused your maps to fail in the first place. I'm not even gonna ask if there is boots in any of these maps.

Other than that, I love the slime at the bottom thing under the position, i think if a player can use skill and knock the other player off it would be hilarious and more fun they'd have to be careful where they step
NEW!Image
Hermione

Postby khxmz » Mon May 26, 2014 11:24 am

Like all of the improvements except for the kkk statue picture, take that out and lets playtest!
khxmz

Postby CrashedMC » Mon May 26, 2014 11:24 am

damn rickjames. How bout instead of complaining and just talking shit.. You try to help him make the map better? At least he is trying to give everybody more options.
CrashedMC

Postby ph34r » Mon May 26, 2014 12:17 pm

(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby Morpheus » Mon May 26, 2014 2:07 pm

the slime appeals to me ... already thinking about boosting noobs to the slime :lol:

good work windigo. lets give it a try sometime
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby Sakura » Mon May 26, 2014 3:47 pm

I like how you entice players to go over to the danger zone with the health vials. Maybe put a view more health vials down and more people will take the risk.
Sakura

Postby windigo » Mon May 26, 2014 4:21 pm

it's a ghost khemz, and its a cookie jar not a statue.
windigo

Postby khxmz » Tue May 27, 2014 12:21 am

khxmz

Postby windigo » Tue May 27, 2014 12:53 am

Wasn't expecting anyone to be looking at the map in unreal ed, especially going through the MyLevel texture package. I told the ceramics teacher it was a ghost. Reason it even got glazed and fired was probably because I'm not white.
windigo

Postby kud » Tue May 27, 2014 12:46 pm

kud
Walder Frey

Postby windigo » Tue May 27, 2014 6:08 pm

http://www.sendspace.com/file/dndrfb

no more racisms gnome.

I've got some stock map edits in the works and another custom map on the way. Not sure when the next sdom starts but with the enthusiasm shown so far I wager there won't be enough time to play test anything.
windigo

Postby DREW-TANg » Thu May 29, 2014 12:06 pm

DREW-TANg

Postby kud » Sat May 31, 2014 10:47 pm

kud
Walder Frey

Postby windigo » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:51 am

Alright, so some kind soul put the map on some servers.

There are some online issues that I am not seeing in the map offline. The two way tele is fucked. Half the time the tele doesn't take you to the other tele you just walk in walk right back out the opposite way you came in. I've seen this happen on diamondsword. It's also happened on beefmonkey. I told timtim about what was going on and somehow it got resolved, but I didn't do anything to the map, the same version of beefmonkey that was having tele issues got resolved without a map edit or version change.

Also, the hud only shows 1 control point in warm up mode. Havne't pugged it so can't say if this will happen once everyone has clicked in. Offline you can see all the control points.

I don't know why these things are happening, and I have no clue what I could possibly do in the editor to try and fix this.
windigo

Postby khxmz » Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:34 pm

I'll take a look at the portals and let you know what I see. I've had the CP's not show up for me before and I think doing a Build ALL fixed it. Not sure if you build geometry and lighting seperate or how you do it so that could be it.

Edit: The only thing I see is that in all of your maps (and DiamondSword) the VisibleTeleporter actor is used whereas to my knowledge most maps use the Teleporter actor. I'm not familiar with using the VisibleTeleporter actor but with the plain Teleporter one you can choose which direction the player is facing when they come out. By using the Teleporter actor you can also have the exit come out just ahead of the portal mesh (and portal entrance actor if 2-way) so players don't get that infinite portal loop thing going. Let me know if you need help but you should be able to get it on your own I think. Just use CTF-Face or DM-Liandri portals for reference.
khxmz

Next

Return to UT99 Mapping Discussion