DOM-Dungeon

DOM-Dungeon

Postby Swiftshades » Tue May 27, 2014 11:50 pm

This is an old DM I made a couple years ago. I was looking at it the other day and thought "Hmm, this looks like it could be a good DOM map." So I did some research on sDOM maps and messed around with the map and ended up with this.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn5dz5gcrok8d ... ungeon.zip
Swiftshades

Re: DOM-Dungeon

Postby RickJames » Wed May 28, 2014 1:29 am

This isn't bad as a starting point!

There's a hall-of-mirrors bug on the stairs with the vials. Also the powerup placement isn't great- Having a keg directly under a solo point isn't good, and having a health pack next to the high point isn't either, as health packs take you to 100 health in sdom. I'm unsure about the belt location, it seems like you can easily get shot dodging to it from above. I was surprised to see boots on this map, because I'm not sure if it needs them at all. They're kind of interesting to see, but they certainly shouldn't be so close to an amp, which is right next to a point.

The biggest problem here is the high point, which is only accessible through 2 corridors. As long as the player can keep a stack of some sort (even just a health pack), they can easily hold the position just by standing on the point and ducking into the health/ammo nooks. I think this top area needs to be reworked somehow, although I'm not sure how. For sure move the keg to a riskier location (but not out in the open), so that you have to walk away a little from the one point to get to it. Delete the health pack next to the high point and move it farther away after redoing that area somehow. Perhaps delete the boots and do something different with the belt.

I also think the low point needs some pillars down low and additional powerups in the corridors outside of it (that players have to walk to). It could be more like the dungeon point on campgrounds that way, having to walk to the health or belt and briefly abandon the point. At the moment it's a little too open (campgrounds dungeon is a curved room that provides a little cover).

Basically you want powerups to be accessible enough that they're important, but not so much that they're free for whoever's on the point. You don't want purely open, very dm-heavy points, but you also don't want very enclosed points that are too easy to hold positionally. I like the idea of a smaller, uniquely designed map like this in general :D
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Swiftshades » Wed May 28, 2014 9:54 pm

Made a lot of changes with the map, some of the changes i'm not really sure about.

The high point is now much harder to defend and can be attacked from all four sides, but i'm not sure about the lift being right next to the point. I also did something different with the amp and put it in a different location. The Belt is in the same location but has been lowered to the floor. I wasn't sure what to do with the keg, originally I was going to remove it completely but instead I placed somewhere to see how it would go. Other pickups and spawn points have been moved around aswell.

Pillars have been added to the low point and I moved thigh pads near by it. The hall-of-mirrors bug should be cleared.

I think the map looks a lot better now thanks to your feedback :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jn5dz5gcrok8d ... ungeon.zip
Swiftshades

Postby windigo » Sat May 31, 2014 4:29 am

All the torch shimmer usually bogs down UTs engine. I get some frame drops running around this map, and I really don't think it's your brush work. Lighting effects are best used sparingly.

Having to boost to the keg, not so sure about that. If you removed the collision hulls so people can just walk to it it's in a pretty good location for some keg battles.

The long arching hallway going towards the backside of pillars could be trimmed down a bit. Shortening that hall would make the route more viable. Also, if you put a hole in the wall next to the keg you'd give ramps a nice position to push up to, with the new line of sight and a shortened arching hallway.

Other than that I can't see anything to do other than see how it all comes together. Ramps has a lot of spawns near it, should be good hectic fun. Pillars is far enough away to give people time to scramble for the amps, and having to boost off a lift jump should be good fun. If you raised the ceiling of that long hall, and probably the arching hall as well for aesthetics, you can chop a hole in the wall at the lifts so you could get some potential amp cock blocks. That's just me being crazy though. Very few people appreciate my design philosophies so take it with a grain of salt.

windigo

Postby RickJames » Sat May 31, 2014 6:46 am

Wow, I really like how this map is shaping up. The keg is currently inaccessible without a boost, because there's an invis wall blocking the edges. I''m not sure about that as a keg location anyways, as it seems too easy for the high guy to get both armor and keg. I'm not sure what would be a good location for it, or even if it's necessary- Not all maps need to have a keg of course.

I say we just fix the keg somehow and play test this version of the map. Will be easier to make suggestions after that :D
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Swiftshades » Sat May 31, 2014 11:16 pm

Got rid of the lighting effects, Redid a couple of the rooms and tried something else with the keg.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0em1t7ctvqpez ... nBeta2.zip
Swiftshades

Postby Swiftshades » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:51 am

I redid some of the textures and I think it looks better then before

I really wasn't expecting to go this far with this map, but i'm happy the way it turned out. I played the map myself with some bots and had a blast. Would really like to see this map be play tested.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tfjg72bvkburm ... nBeta3.zip
Swiftshades

Postby Swiftshades » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:07 am

The Ramps point seemed a little plain, so I made it a little more interesting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4d4au115x6e88 ... nBeta4.zip
Swiftshades

Return to UT99 Mapping Discussion