Calling all mappers!

Calling all mappers!

Postby PACO » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:09 pm

Hello everyone!

I have created this forum for several reasons:

#1. Tired of playing CTF-DukuCB6? Okay, maybe you're not but it doesn't change the fact that new maps are fun and keep the game interesting. At the moment me and n0b are working on about 5-6 maps editing them for IG but it would be nice if other mappers got in on the action.

#2. We are introducing new mods and gametypes, the demand for new maps in these games may arise. Off the top of my head, I'm thinking about JB. It's a fun mod but lots of the maps don't flow well in IG, are missing radars and could have more entertaining arenas or kills at the end. It would be neat if we could properly convert some of the current iCTF maps.

#3. Need help betaing or want feedback on a map? What better place than a community forum?

#4. BSP, map glitching or is the editor not doing what you want it to? Although there are other websites dedicated to mapping, it might not hurt to look for advice in your own backyard.

#5. This forum isn't exclusively for mappers. If you think that you found a good map that could be edited, played or needs some adjustments, feel free to post it here.

If you have experience using the Unreal Editor, please post in this thread. I know at least 4-5 of you do from the top of my head.

1. n0b
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Re: Calling all mappers!

Postby PACO » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:57 pm

*cough*

hello khmz, kyaxiz, windigo, somar, alchemy off the top of my head?
PACO

Postby Bryan » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:51 pm

How about mintek/xebo? Aren't they good with maps also?
MLIGCTF ZP III : MLIGCTF ZP IV : MLCTF XXIII
Bryan

Postby InfamousRaider » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:53 am

xebo is but he disappeared. Not sure if mintek is or not.
InfamousRaider

Postby khxmz » Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:42 pm

It's hard man...any map idea I come up with just pales in comparison to CTF-Polar.
khxmz

Postby PACO » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:12 pm

PACO

Postby csnafk » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:46 am

hey i'm getting the hang of mapping. I'll help since I cant play much anymore.
csnafk
Barney Gumble

Postby PACO » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:37 pm

PACO

Postby csnafk » Sun Jan 08, 2012 7:29 pm

i "fixed" the spawns on Gataka. Tonight Kud and I are going to work on making the window for the tunnel bigger to accommodate shooting people in the tunnel running with the flag; going to make it taller and wider. The only problem i can foresee is that it will promote camping in mid. I've done what i could to remove spawns from the bottom and put them up top to counter the camping possibility, without putting too many to off set the map. I also removed 3 spawns in the flag room (there were 5) and added one in middle just outside of the base (not everything just some). Hopefully it works out
csnafk
Barney Gumble

Postby Dewsick » Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:40 am

Someone should fix Spirit, maybe putting additional bouncers and fixing one the spawns a bit.
(23:04:46) holder › y shut up (23:04:47) holder › little bitch (23:05:00) vitrae › SRY (23:05:00) vitrae › BRO (23:05:04) vitrae › went to the kitchen (23:05:05) vitrae › get some (23:05:08) vitrae › glass of milk
Dewsick
Hans Moleman

Postby XhackZ|Ryu » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:50 pm

Ima start working in a iCTF map.

If someone can provide me a pack of nice textures, that'd be awesome.
XhackZ|Ryu

Postby flowX » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:27 pm

flowX

Postby Junkyardboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:41 am

please fix spawn points on bleak. Remove the rockets spawn on bleak(high left) and move the high right spawn onto sniper. remove the spawn 2feet from the flagstand, what a joke of a spawn and i think you just made the map less of a nightmare to run offense on.

The spawns on spirit where you spawn low needs to more left and right so you can actually see the person spawn from the flag stand as opposed to not knowing. The spawns that are inbase high need to be closer inbase so you arn't constantly getting spawn killed from mid(but you are visible from the flagstand making it possible to be spawnkilled easier from the flag carrier.

Grudge - Put a spawn point up in high mid and remove the spawns behind the flag. This will make it easier to spawn high mid and cut off the piece of shit flag runner that always goes up high mid and also adding more pressure to offense. Also, put a timer on the lift so it isn't activated instantly...like a 2 second delay before it launches u into high mid...or simply make it a bounce pad so people can catch the flagcarrier...or make it so when you go high mid, you have to go through a maze to get back down or u have to kill a million nali warriors...then i think it's fixed.
Junkyardboy

Postby rain » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:08 am

Image Global.iCTF I - Champions (·shøckWave·)
rain

Postby kud » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:30 am

someone suggested moving grudge spawns so the defense can't spawn kill...but isn't it a good thing for defense to be able to put on offensive pressure?
kud
Walder Frey

Postby HuMPtY » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:26 pm

Isn't grudge one of the more popular maps for matches people are mentioning making maps more like klondike command grudge, spawn up high or bounce pads are ridiculous ideas;s
i quite like the spawns on grudge..not to give away secrets but dont hold forward everytime you spawn and you wont get spawnkilled as much :P
But overall i think grudge flows really well, why fix something thats not broken ;-)
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby Junkyardboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:11 pm

Grudge isn't broken, but it needs an adjustment because as soon as the nig hits high mid, absolutely no one chasing behind him is gonna get him, and is left in the dust and it's almost 90% of the time it ends up in a cap...which is disheartning for a pair of defenders who really didn't do anything wrong on defense other than miss two shots. You should require a LITTLE more cover on grudge, but as it stands, it's one of the easiest solo cap maps in the community BECAUSE of the highmid escape...1 strong flag runner is gaurinteed flag caps if they get to high mid.

Another idea I have to fixing grudge would be to completely seal off the high(secret room) and make it only accessible via(portal). Keep the lifts for defensive purposes, but create a new ledge just further past the lift(when it's elevated) where there's a wall currently, that will take you into high mid. The portal will be accessible to anyone on the bridge, or anyone that goes up the lift(w.o jumping) and runs straight into the portal....

high mid(secret room) will have two portals, one on each end that connect the portals in the base near lift.

I can't really explain it any better than I did, i'll try and send a screen shot with my super awesome idea.
Junkyardboy

Postby InfamousRaider » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:16 pm

InfamousRaider

Postby PACO » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:21 pm

Grudge is perfect the way it flows right now. Defence can spawnkill and hold down the fort and offence can wreak havoc when they finally make solid grabs. If a team allows you to go high mid, you deserve to have a solid opportunity to cap. Changing that dynamic alone would alter the threat of a player disappearing low-right and allow less offensive flexibility when deciding whether to leave quick one way or double back and hit the lift. I thought people were complaining about things being too defensive?

The only thing that should be changed about Grudge is the polycount since older PCs will have a harder time running it. I know that Nob started working on this but I'm not sure how far he progressed.

edit: if a guy goes high mid and you have smart offence, they can fallback and get lots of returns on the bridge. I've made a living of having people pull their hair out as they drop down.
PACO

Postby ph34r » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:12 pm

yea jyb lets put the high spawns in spirit closer to flag room, and while we're at it lets move those pesky side spawns directly into flag room as well so offense can 'spawnkill' them. it's not enough that most of the spawns are half a dodge away from being in the flag room, lets make ALL of them that way..... that'll fix it :roll:

tldr; stop posting

The spawns aren't what makes spirit such a pile of shit (although they certainly dont help), its the fact that there is literally nothing to the map. You can spawn all the way in mid in spirit and it won't matter because you already have a direct shot at the EFC because there is nothing to the map. Try playing maps that arent boxes with no creativity whatsoever.. or add a fucking obstacle for christ sake
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby Junkyardboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:45 pm

I wouldn't call grudge perfect or any other map that is on the list perfect(even Duku), but it is a fun map, and it is enjoyable.

Some players would argue the old diamondsword was also perfect, but that also is apparently not true(hence the changes).

Players are asking for more high cap maps, Grudge just happens to be 1 of 3 high cap maps that we have. Does it make it perfect? I wouldn't call it perfect, especially the high mid aspect of the map. Is it a good map? Debatable? Is there still problems with the map? I personally think so, maybe do a poll like we did several times for Diamondsword?

We are not asking to make it impossible to cap high mid, but to give defense a chance to SAVE the flag. It wouldn't promote chasing, but it would make games of grudge going from 9-8 to 4-3. Is that such a bad thing to see?

Imagine duku where all you needed to do was hit the bump pad bumper and fly into your own bump room. What makes duku so fun is the battles in mid and flag returns in mid. There's absolutely none of that happening on grudge as it stands right now and it's a missing element. There's no battle that happens in mid and I'm not talking about dm fest, but where players clash and lots of cover comes into play(think brokenlimits).

Grudge definitely needs an adjustment
Last edited by Junkyardboy on Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkyardboy

Postby Junkyardboy » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:48 pm

Spirit-spawns closer to the flag or in the flagroom make it easier to spawnkill and easier to get out of the flagroom. As it stands right now, the only way you are getting out of the base is if you not only spawnkill, but also predict where they spawn and then spawn kill them. Removing the element of predicting where they spawn will make it easier on the offense.
Junkyardboy

Postby dR3 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:00 am

dR3

Postby iMteH1 » Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:24 am

Edit: Blank
Last edited by iMteH1 on Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iMteH1

PostThis post was deleted by iMteH1 on Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:26 am.
Reason: doublepost

Next

Return to UT99 Mapping Discussion