What type of whey protein do you use?

spam to your hearts content.

What type of whey protein do you use?

Postby Sakura » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:27 am

I used to drink BioRhythm 100% Whole Gains and GNC doesn't sell it anymore. I have a rare disorder in both my knees and I was wondering if any brand of whey protein also carried glucosamine in it? Or would I have to buy those alone?

Thanks for the help fellow GU protein people.
Sakura

Re: What type of whey protein do you use?

Postby RickJames » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:31 am

Most of the mainstream whey brands are pretty similar in terms of ingredients, but I've used so many that I can recommend a few.

I couldn't find any whey powders with glucosamine in them, so I guess you'd be best off buying it separately.

Avoid GNC's own brand for one thing, it's overpriced and it bloated me and both of my friends who used it.

I use Dorian Yates Tempro, but it's only available online and it ships from the UK. I've had the best results with it, though. http://www.dorianyatesnutrition.com/supplements/tempro/

What I'd recommend is BSN Syntha-6, because it's easy to find cheaply and in smaller quantities, it's sold at GNC, and the taste and quality are top-notch. Easily the best of the mainstream powders that I've used:
http://www.amazon.com/BSN-SYNTHA-6-Prot ... 000GP0NSI/
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Sakura » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:12 am

Mine had all the vitamins at the bottom. I'm a vegetarian and I need the protein but 54 grams?? That's a lot for an 18 year old woman. Tempro wouldn't be for me, and I like to have breakfast with my shake too. I can't imagine having 64-70 grams of protein in one sitting :< .

The BSN Syntha-6 looks better for me. It doesn't have all the nice vitamins listed below, but something is better than nothing. I tasted the GNC one, it was strong. Glad you warned me about it.

BIoRhytm was such a popular brand and you know how the US doesn't have FDA regulations for protein. Maybe they got in trouble or something.
Sakura

Postby Morpheus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:23 am

when i was into fitness i used this one for a couple months: http://www.prozis.com/pt/pt/optimum-nut ... -lbs-2273g

it is one of the best and it helps with the recovering time (might be the placebo effect)

I assure you that all the supplements in the world don't top a good old diet/meat. But you guys live in America and fast food rules
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby RickJames » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:38 am

Yeah that looks like a standard protein powder with vitamins and amino acids added. The vitamins are in much lower quantities than in a standard multivitamin, and I've never taken amino acids, so I always thought those types of ingredients were gimmicky. But that's just my opinion, ofc.

The Yates stuff is actually only around 18g per scoop, it says 54 on the tub because recommended serving is 3 scoops, but I wouldn't recommend it because it's hard to get a hold of regardless. The BSN stuff is 22g per scoop, but it's a larger scoop size, so they're probably about the same. See, it's all relative cause you can use however much you want.

But yep, one scoop of the BSN powder should give you all you need, so that's convenient. I used it twice a day for a year, went through many tubs, and never once had a bad batch, which is rare.

Optimum is also a good brand, but their powder is clumpy, so you probably want a blender if you get that one.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Bizmonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:24 pm

Meh, I've never had problems with Optimum. Mixes well in my shaker, greek yogurt, oatmeal, etc. I'm a fan, and it's pretty cheap from certain sites.

Really liked this stuff, personally. Might order a batch when my optimum runs out.

Bizmonkey

Postby DREW-TANg » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:35 pm

rick even your fucking protein? rofl.
DREW-TANg

Postby Sakura » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:04 pm

Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein is the one I'm going to buy. Low calorie and carbs compared to GSN synthia-6. I'm sure the GSN one tastes better though, and will be a good second if I hate the gold standard. Err hope it don't clump.

Thanks everyone!
Sakura

Postby KillEmAll » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:04 pm

KillEmAll

Postby Sonic|^ » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:08 pm

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby Bizmonkey » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:53 pm

Bizmonkey

PostThis post was deleted by Bas on Fri Jul 04, 2014 2:33 pm.
Reason: read the question wrong

Postby Sakura » Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:51 pm

I have problems with the clumping in 100% gold standard. I have to use a spoon to mix it, instead my old one would dissolve with just shaking it. It doesn't taste too good, it tastes disgusting with water. Only 68 more scoops to go :'( . (Not to mention its harder to clean up).
Sakura

Postby RickJames » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Yeah, it's lower quality powder, so it's clumpy and chalky. Good powder is like a fine grain and mixes very easily with just a spoon. That's why I recommended the BSN, not to mention that it tastes a lot better.

GNC has a good return policy if that's where you got it.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Bizmonkey » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:56 pm

Do you not have a shaker? Seriously, it mixes so easy for me in 4 oz of water. I also mix it with greek yogurt, oatmeal, etc. Never had a problem.
Bizmonkey

Postby Sonic|^ » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:39 pm

Nutrabio 100% Whey Isolate: http://www.nutrabio.com/Products/whey-p ... solate.htm

I prefer Dutch Chocolate.

The company is located in New Jersey so even with standard shipping I get it the next day. I'd order way in advance since sometimes it's on back order.
Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby Bizmonkey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:29 am

Bizmonkey

Postby Sauron » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:50 am

Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby Cy » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:14 pm

I only use 100% ON Gold Standard if trying to lean out. Syntha-6 is my go to typically. Taste and quality are top notch compared to most. I also use True Mass from BSN, but you wouldn't need that, Sakura. ;)
Cy

Postby KNOCKOUTDAD » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:16 pm

Image #ANAL - POUND IT.
KNOCKOUTDAD

Return to Spam-a-lam