KOTR #4 Results and Summary

Next Tournament: To be Announced

KOTR #4 Results and Summary

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:19 pm

KING OF THE RING IV is officially in the books and we have a brand new champion who gets to join vitrae (x2) and Dewsick in the winners circle. In true Super Hero fashion, Hatchet after coming second last KOTR and being thrown out of a window in iCTF came back with a vengeance and gets to don the crown until KOTR.V.

I will be recapping the events of yesterday but before I get into all of that, I want to give some credit where it is due. Thanks to who casted the entire event from start to finish and made it extremely entertaining and enjoyable to watch (and who hopped on and provided some twang from the semis and finals). Thanks to Chica for making overlays for mrgrins and teaming up with Monk to bring us very pertaining to the event. Thanks to TimTim who made The GUBER which set servers and improved efficiency/organization. Thanks to HuMPtY who kept his composure (mostly) while sorting through a lot of the grunt work along with my dear friend Rummy and thanks to Nobody` who made sure that all of the servers were set properly going into the event. Hertz for assisting with translations and language barriers and all of the other admins/people that stepped up to help organize and filter heats (too many to name but you know who you are).

This was a massive event and it took contributions from everyone to see it through from start to finish and so all of you have my thanks. We peaked at 157 viewers (maybe more but that's the highest number that I saw) and held over 100 concurrent viewers for most of the 5 hour event. Stream visibility is going to be one of the best ways to get this community noticed, so I hope that people continue to tune-in to our weekly streams during the season.

The results can be found here: http://www.globalunreal.com/KOTR_IV/

and the vods can be watched here:

The map was Chromium and 16 heats of 10 lined up to enter the tournament. 160 hopefuls were soon culled into 80 browbeaten savages. It was one of the lower fragging maps with the player average sitting at 96.8 frags. In total, there were 15 200 frags in this opening blood bath, along with 1 922 Double Kills, 493 Multi Kills, 132 Ultra Kills and 41 Monster Kills. The top Monster Killer was Riven with 4 and the highest efficiency was boasted by unrealshots who sat at 71.5%. The one and only Unstopable in the tournament happened on this map and despite having lower frag totals, there were 7 Dominating sprees compared to a maximum of 1 and none in all of the other maps.

With 80 hopefuls exiting the tourney, I had to pour a lot of malt liquor but I'll give some shoutouts to the participants who made it across the finish line but didn't qualify for Round 2. Big ups to the Assault crew (Smant, pato, html, X-Bomb) for turning up. Can't forget Siege (Moskva, GrimReaper, Fleece, JaddyBabby, Kenneth) and my BT women (Cheezie and NightTerror). Also big shoutouts to the Chileans and Latinos who came in, guns-a-blazing and did their countries proud. khm who was exhausted but turned up anyway and madness who skipped school on a Sunday just to participate and take in the event. Also need to give a mention to Rocky who signed up without even knowing it and turned up to play in his heat.

There were some close cut-offs with windigo edging out CrzyFox in efficiency, Dem` barely knocking out his fellow countryman Turok and Arys dropping an astounding 121 frags (which would have qualified him in any other heat) but not advancing since he was 3 frags behind El Spongo for 5th place.

I also need to need to give a very important mention to my dear friend white[choc]. I about RPG consumption but apparently you weren't paying attention and went on a binge going into round 1. I was saddened but then again, equally relieved since I knew that I wouldn't have to endure another half year of people spamming "HAHAHA WHITECHOC BEAT YOU". Such conflicting emotions evoked by a dear frennemy.

Other happenings in round 1 included RickyJ facing off against TSM in Heat 3 and the crowd fervently chanting for the Mexican Snake. TSM jumped out to an early lead on Ricky comfortably sitting in third place while hurling taunts and instagib rifles at his Yankee Doodle rival. Everything was going according to plan until at the 5 minute mark, TSM started staring at the ground and frantically typed, "MY GUN NO SHOOTING". He ran around like a chicken with his head cut off for roughly two minutes before deciding it was might not be a bad idea to reconnect. Upon reconnecting, he lost all of his Mexican Magic and served as canon fodder for the rest of his heat. He lost by 8 frags to RickyJ despite not playing for roughly 3 minutes and enduring a tournament disruption. The eagle got the snake today (with a little unforeseen assistance) but the snake didn't get on the Mexican flag without enduring a few hardships and setbacks.

The top 5 performers in the round were: FALLACY (178 frags), JYB (175 frags), Riven (171 frags), unrealshots (161 frags) and former-king vitrae (157 frags). None of the top 5 were unexpected names on the list however if we venture down a bit further, zein actually had the 10th highest frag count in round 1 while amassing an impressive 152 frags.

Zo dropped 114 frags and actually lead for part of his heat. This man took a summer siesta but came back without missing a step. edge was duking it out with ph34r for most of the map but finished in a respectable second place with 142 frags and CoBRa shot the third highest acc while coming in second place in JYB's heat.

This round was hectic for many but set the tone for an unforgettable tournament.

The second map of the tournament was Thoth and we were down to 80 contestants. This was the second lowest scoring map on average with only 112.1 frags per map and 8 635 frags in total. There were 1 206 Double Kills, 321 Multi Kills, 89 Ultra Kills and 36 Monster Kills. The top Monster Killer of this round was FALLACY who managed to get 3 and after him, there was an abundance of people who managed to get 2. The highest spree was a Dominating and there were 226 Killing Sprees in total. 18 countries managed to get points for qualifying to round 2 and they got points in this order: USA - 20, UK - 10, CAN - 11, NL - 8, GER - 6, SWE - 5, CHILE - 4, DEN - 3, PT FRA PL - 2 & BE SPA MX DR SLV AUS ISR - 1.

Round 2 was extremely competitive and a lot of the top players were starting to feel the pressure. Notable early exits included: dickfish (KOTR.III Finalist), sorn (trade it all for 75 cents), Hertz (jaja :(), rmrz (the man hates vowels), Viperz (iDM pug master), and round 1 dark horses like edge and Zo. The elimination of edge came right down to the wire as him and dEv were see-sawing back and forth over who was going to take the fifth spot. Other close eliminations included HuMPtY besting sorn by 3 frags, MP/5 edging Hinata by efficiency and kud topping InFlaMes by a mere 3 frags.

There was an unexpected administrative blip when Larmor joined the incorrect server when his UT was distorting and he started Hatchet's heat without Hatchet actually being in the server. It posed a problem since Hatchet clearly deserved to be in the tournament (runner up last KOTR and took off work tomorrow to play comfortably in this KOTR). Luckily mrgrins qualified for round 3 (despite trying to suicide out) and he bowed out of his spot to give Hatchet a chance to pursue his crown and so that he could properly cover the final three rounds.

LaG|RickJames is a very influential young man and after learning that his idols like bleh and uenz smoked before playing Unreal Tournament, he decided he would give it a shot.

The eagle did not soar high in round 2 and instead of a trip to the third round, RickyJ called an ambulance because he was having trouble breathing.

The top performers were largely the same however there were some new faces that had great performances on Thoth. Ravonix aka The Swedish Chef was strutting his stuff as the frag leader in round 2 where he dropped an astounding 176 frags. NUKE made some waves (jumped in a pool) and put up a top five performance when he managed to rack up 160 frags. 7 out of the top 10 fraggers on Thoth went on to qualify for the finals with rain, JYB and Dewsick being the odd men out.

The second round saw a lot of talented players exit the tournament and the skill level was ferocious entering the quarter finals. None of the Con-TEN-ders were eliminated after two rounds however a few had some spotty performances early-on and were not exerting their dominance on the rest of the field.

The Contender Killer AKA Alcoran was the third map of this momentous event. The quarter final frag averages picked up immensely and that might be in part due to the fact that everyone remaining was a heavy hitter and it might also be a reflection of the fraggability of the map. The average frags was 127 per player and the total amount of kills in the map was 5 083. This was a 31 frag average jump between the first and the third map. There were 718 Double Kills, 198 Multi Kills, 62 Ultra Kills and 27 Monster Kills. The final Dominating of the tournament was landed on this map by paleface and despite going on a tear, it was not enough to qualify him for the semi finals.

Each heat was murderously difficult and the lowest frag cut off was 123 kills by uenz and JYB respectively. Other heats were even more cutthroat and required scores in the 130s to have the honor of qualifying for the next round. A lot of big names went down so it would be impractical to mention them all. One of the quarter final losers was Banko who missed out on qualifying by a mere 2 frags. What stung even harder was when Monk placed his monocle in the front pocket of his tuxedo and murmured, "good try chap". Mike also missed out on the semi-finals but he had an extremely strong performance on Alcoran, accumulating 126 frags. He started as unknown commodity in KOTR.II but Mike has earned the reputation of being a DM heavy hitter with a high ceiling for improvement. Master Bug was also unable to wiggle his way out of this one and was another finalist from KOTR.III to make a relatively early exit.

One of the more intense battles happened in my heat. Mejji was in 3rd/4th for most of the heat but unraveled during crunch time. kylewins went buck wild passing me for second and JYB who was near the bottom for most of the map leap frogged all the way up to fifth by notching some clutch multi and double kill streaks in the dying seconds of the game. These points from qualification proved to be extremely important for Canada in the .

and 3 of them dropped like flies in the quarter finals. The great pretenders were Dewsick, bleh and most surprisingly.. unrealshots!!! Big Daddy, The Prodigy and The Swampman took in the rest of the tournament from the sidelines while uenz, JYB and ph34r were all sitting in the ejector seat at the end of their heats.

Not all of the contenders did so poorly on Alcoran. Riven lead in Frags (176), Accuracy (44) and Monster Kills (4). Hatchet also made his first appearance on the top 10 frags list by putting up 158 and coming second to Riven in his heat. The other players in the top 5 from this round were: vitz, ravonix and FALLACY.

The dark horse makes a special appearance because not only did kylewins qualify for the semi finals.. he actually came second in his heat and tied for a top 10 round score with rummy. Would his Cinderella story end at midnight or the first time that one of his 40 year old Internet Relay Chat partners asked him to get on TeamSpeak?

The top players showed up and the quarter finals were extremely cutthroat. As someone participating in the tournament, it was hard for me to reconcile with the fact that the next heat was going to be even harder and that 10 of the top 20 players were going to be eliminated after a 15 minute game of Unreal Tournament.

The semi final map that was picked out of mrgrins cooler was Centuries. This map was roughly the same frag-wise as Alcoran with the average player pulling in about 127 frags and the total map kills landing at 2 544. In total, there were 365 Double Kills, 107 Multi Kills, 25 Ultra Kills and 19 Monster Kills. The Monster Kill King on this map was vitrae as he managed to land 3 within a span of 15 minutes vs some ferocious competition. There were no streaks above a Rampage and there were only 3 of them.

Centuries claimed many big names including the final dark horse, kylewins. uenz and JYB (narrow miss) also had the displeasure of joining the other three pretenders in the KOTR-afterlife. Coming into the tournament, uenz told me in confidentiality a few words that became particularly relevant in this round..

Image Let me start by saying that I'm going into that tournament without any ambitions - I won't practise a lot before and don't feel any pressure. But if NUKE is participating I really don't wanna lose to him.

I reached uenz after the game looking for a comment but he was too busy consoling himself with a parting gift from The Burger Bandit.

The cutoff in the first heat was 126. JYB, ramdrop and Monk were sniffing at a spot in the finals but came up short as IR and FALLACY tied for 5th place. FALLACY put up strong performances on every map except for Centuries where he almost got eliminated by JYB and Monk (wilted in crunch time). The cutoff in the second heat was a bit more difficult with NUKE landing the fifth slot despite putting up 141 frags. The spread at the top in both heats was +1 and 3rd place was within striking distance of 1st if the game went on just a bit longer.

Team CANADA had 3 people qualify for the semis (PACO, JYB, rain) however all of them failed to qualify for the finals. Rummy had his internet drop (right around the same time mrgrins briefly dropped) and when the people learned that Dear Leader aka PACO was eliminated.. . On a personal note, I wish that I qualified for the finals but am content with the fact that I beat HuMPtY... ;D

The highest acc was once again held by Riven and the second highest went to countryman uenz. High acc was not enough to land uenz in the finals. All of the top fraggers have already had mentions with the exception of Solidsnake. The immobile snake placed in the top 5 by getting 148 frags. This was one of the bigger surprises of the tournament for many, however ph34r in his interview called out Solidsnake and NUKE as tourney dark horses and both of them made the finals. ph34r himself had a strong showing in the semis by getting the second most kills (152) and rocking the highest efficiency (62%).

The Cinderella story ended for kylewins at 8pm EST but the big dance started shortly after...

The final map of the tournament was Bellicose. The average kills in the finals were the highest out of any round. Each player on average amassed roughly 138 kills. The total frags in the map was 1 379 and with so many deaths, players had a tough time getting to the spots that they wanted to control. The total Double Kills was 183, Multi Kills was 64, Ultra Kills was 24 and Monster Kills was 18. The most impressive Monster Kill was from Riven when after a quick reconnect, he returned to drop a TRIPLE Holy Shit.

The finals participants were: Hatchet, FALLACY, ravonix, Morpheus, Riven, vitz, NUKE, ph34r, Solidsnake and InfamousRaider.

Bellicose started off with a lot of players jockeying for position. Two-time KING vitrae was in first place for the first 2mins and it appeared that he was going to claim his third title. Players like Hatchet, Riven, NUKE and Solidsnake were all hot on his trot and there were some major see-saws in the top 5. Hatchet eventually got into a groove and worked his way into the top spot. At points he had 10+ frags leads but they would be cut to 1-2 by multiple opponents. FALLACY caught fire in the middle of the map and kept making surges upwards but could not consistently keep pace with Hatchet. The major surprise was ravonix who came from the depths of the leaderboard and played his way into second place and -2 on Hatchet at one point. A lot of people slept on ravonix (they shouldn't have) and he showed why he deserves to be labelled a top player in the community. Morpheus also caught fire and passed former-champ vitz to land in the 4th slot.

Riven continued his tradition of disconnecting and coming up short in the finals. I predicted something like this would happen (*pats self on back*). The Burger Bandit showed all of us that despite being ignorant, annoying and ridiculous.. he can actually frag. NUKE didn't crack the top 5 but he had a strong showing in the finals and earned some more credibility in this community. ph34r fell behind quickly and finished near the bottom of the leader board but he was only -22 away from winning the crown himself. Solidsnake started strong but fizzled halfway through and the only player who was pretty far off pace throughout all of Bellicose was InfamousRaider. I'm not sure if he ran out of stamina but he played a damn good tournament and anyone who actually made it to the finals has nothing but respect from me.

Despite dudes appearing close in his rearview mirror, Hatchet managed to hold on and take the title.

It was a great tournament from both a playing and a spectating POV. It was also a much deserved win for Hatchet and his medal can join all of his other impressive accolades. To be a KING, you need to be a top fragger but you also need to have the endurance to keep up the pace in a series of battles that will mentally exhaust even the most hardcore gamer.

That concludes the tournament summary for individuals however there is still the matter of the . A lot of people were saying that America was going to win 100% and that the podium was already pretty much decided however there were some MAJOR shockers..

The UK and USA actually had a tie but the UK gets a slight nod since they were the country that boasted the KING and that was the tiebreaker that I came up with on the spot. The USA disappointingly fell to second and one of the biggest surprises of the tournament was Canada cracking the podium. After a dismal showing in KOTR.III.. PACO, JYB and rain made some major waves and supporting players like spydee, kud and Zo to name a few willed the Canucks over countries like Germany and Portugal. Both Portugal and Germany were missing some of their major horses (noobX - DNP Yeast Infection, flowX - DNP Beach Party and Critical aka SM LAN/Madteta/Apoklips etc. The top Latino country as predicted was Chile and the Netherlands despite having 19 countrymen join the tournament, only managed to land in the 6th spot (also predicted a disappointing finish for them.. *pats back*). ravonix and paleface did Sweden proud but they will need to work on recruiting some of their fellow countrymen for the next installment of KOTR.

As promised.. I will be singing the National Anthem of the winning country as the opener for the Global.iCTF.IV draft so expect a PACO rendition of God Save the Queen.

This concludes the KOTR #4 summary. Thanks for reading and thanks to everyone for taking part in this momentous tournament.

Sincerely,

PACO

PS: If you haven't done so yet, follow mrgrins on http://www.twitch.tv/mrgrins and show him some support. He casts on GlobalUnrealTV every Sunday that we have an event and it'd be great to return the favor and show him some love.
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Re: KOTR #4 Results and Summary

Postby RickJames » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 pm

The TSM story is complete fiction- He reconnected mid map but was playing the whole time, there was idling for 30 seconds at most while he typed at one point, but that's it.

EDIT: Just read farther down, I hate you so much PACO :D
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby PACO » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:40 pm

PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby RickJames » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Yes- One map, stalwart, this Saturday?
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby vitz^ » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:58 pm

enjoyable read! congrats to hatchet once again.

props to fallacy though, played quarters, semis and the finals without knowing the maps or playing them before and almost won it all, big big talent that should not go unspoken of!
vitz^

Postby TimTim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:07 am

:shock:

I know what I'll be reading with my morning coffee tomorrow. :D
TimTim

Postby frauenarZt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:19 am

frauenarZt

Postby frauenarZt » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:25 am

Thank you very much PACO, TimTim, Humpty, MrGrins and others for putting on a fun display! It was great to see such good effort into the organization of 160 players, tons of spectators, and a nice tournament!

I was disappointed in the showing from Assault! We only had 5 players participate instead of the 20+ we should have had... and those who participated had a poor showing! I had a good chance to make it to Heat II until the tendon in my index finger popped, but the rest of the AS players sucked dick, especially you html if you're reading this.
frauenarZt

Postby Finalz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:22 am

Enjoyable read,
Thanks for hosting this great event :)
Finalz

Postby KHM » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:03 am

Thanks for hosting the event! Been delayed at the airport all day, but was fun none the less, hopefully next year i can have time to warm up as started hitting my stride....as it ended :P
Last edited by KHM on Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
KHM

Postby reineo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 am

gratz to hatch!
ravonix surprised me most by ending 3rd, gj.
solidsnake gj as well, best dutch fragger atm.

was my first kotr and altho this mod is a far-from-my-bed-show (i don't master this mod, don't rly like it) i am surprised i finished 24th out of 170.
i havent seen the maps be4, only bellose orso, maybe i couldve endup in top 20.

was fun for a change,
grtz
reineo

Postby NUKE » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:16 am

Was fun, roll on next year when i'm not on 60hz. I'll be rocking 144hz in 1 week.. Let the games begin i was happy that one of us brits came out on top i was in lead for a while and dropped no excuses of being tired or anything hatchet deserved the crown from the start. gg ravonix for contending also good job. gg's everyone... great job Hatchet. Nice post.
Last edited by NUKE on Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
NUKE

Postby ph34r » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:25 am

gg's, taking 10minutes to learn the spots on bellicose in finals was definitely my downfall. Eventually I caught onto morph's tactic (which apparently he stole from hatchet xD) and I came back towards the end. Only map I knew was centuries and did way better on that one than the others :p. Didn't expect to get as far as I did though especially without practicing so I'm happy with making finals. Grats to hatchet, I honestly felt riven would take it so well deserved
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby kud » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:45 am

grats hatchet, did not expect dominance
kud
Walder Frey

Postby fisk » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:26 am

nice read
nice tournament
nice organization
nice coverage
nice champion
Image Image
fisk

Postby NUKE » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:35 am

BE AFRAID, ORDERED MY 144HZ BE HERE TOMORROW!
NUKE

Postby Sonic|^ » Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:43 am

Maybe next year PACO won't screw me over. He's 2/3 so far.
Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby zein » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:32 am

great report and nice tournament, gj.
zein

Postby detox » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:53 am

Great summary, I made it home too late to participate but the coverage was excellent.

NUKE: noone gives a fuck about your monitor, you will never win a tournament.
detox
Biblical Figure

Postby reineo » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:14 am

reineo

Postby FALLACY » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:17 am

This tournament was fun like always. Great write up and grats to Hatchet. :D
FALLACY

Postby Riven » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:59 am

Riven
Olive Oil

Postby Finalz » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:02 am

already looking forward to the next KOTR :)
Finalz

Postby Imperious » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:50 am

Good read, well done PACO (on the post and the tourney)
Imperious

Postby Viperzz^ » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:01 pm

Nice tournament indeed and a big congratulations to Hatchet!
PS: fuck thoth
Viperzz^

Next

Return to UT99 Tournaments