KOTR #3 Results and Summary

Next Tournament: To be Announced

KOTR #3 Results and Summary

Postby PACO » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:39 am

Ladies and gentlemen + boys and girls,

Another KOTR is into the history books. For the second time in a row, we got 100 people through the gates for this iDM bonanza. Before I summarize any of the events, I would like to thanks some people: HuMPtY (master of keeping cool and organizing), n0b (excel master, server guru), Tim (site updates), Monk (organizer extraordinaire), ulo (the man with the spreadsheet), mrgrins (the man with the golden voice), Chica (KOTR layout designer) + Rummy, Dew and all of the people who helped to get people in the right servers.

The results can be found here:

http://www.globalunreal.com/KOTR_III/#round1

We hit our 200th signup for the league, had over 120 viewers on the stream at some points (avg. 90ish) and over 250 people on IRC. The UT Renaissance is a reality and it's starting now. These numbers are great but I don't even think that we are scratching the surface on the potential of this community.

Round 1: Deck16

There were no major upsets in this round.. Most of the people who were supposed to qualify made it to the second round however there were a few very close dogfights to secure some of those spots. We lost Love-me, Knockout Neddy, KillSomeOfEm, Impervious and RickyJ to name a few.

[15:56] <LaG|RickJames> I just wanted to at least go to 2nd round like usual

Admins behind the scenes stacked Ricky's heat to ensure no 2nd round shenanigans or early exits. Mission accomplished.

ph34r was the frag leader and rummy was right behind him at 174 and 173 respectively. PACO beat whitechoc 131-127. Just saying....

Round 2: Malevolence

This new addition to the tournament sunk MANY battle ships. We went from 80 participants to 40 participants and some of the big names to fall were: PACO (despite outfragging whitechoc AGAIN), tylerofl, dEv, zein, Spriggan, detox (caw caw), iLLuSioN, Tim, kud and many more. The dictator became the spectator and the tournament went on without him.

FALLACY dropped a beastly score of 186 with the next highest score belonging to hatchet, followed by bug and ph34r at 164. Unlike KOTR.II, ph34r was setting the pace and looked like an early favorite.

mrgrins made it out of Deck (somehow) and provided us with possibly the best captured UT moment of all time. The Lift-Jump-Monster-Kill-Dominating-Windows-Key maneuver. Seeing is believing...

LOOK HOW HAPPY HE IS!!!!! He also managed to find boots on Malev.. for this first time in 14 years.. Unfortunately all good things must come to an end and mrgrins departed the tournament after entrenching himself in UT folklore for the ages to come.

Round 3: Cityzen

This map was another new addition for the tournament and probably my favorite on the maplist. It's spawn heavy, big, open and frantic. Top 40 was loaded with talent and had cutthroat cutoffs in each heat. HuMPtY, Stryker, disco, Angus and kyle were all really close to qualifying. At one point Angus was -20 on 5th and I proclaimed that I would eat my shoes if he qualified and he managed to get within 3. If anyone was wondering, I wear chocolate shoes and replace them every time they melt.. would have been np.

Before round 3 began, Imperious shockingly proclaimed that he would donate $20 to whoever killed kyle the most on Cityzen. No one knows why mprs was so intent on seeing kyle die but apparently it traced back to some betrayal in SOTF and Imperious is not yet ready to let it go.. x4unreal was eliminated in round 3 but he killed kyle 19 times so he will be collecting his moola from Imp (Not sure if CAD or USD.. also not sure if unreal even knows that he has $20 with his name on it??).

Irvine and Maik were some of the notable departures in this round and with them, all of the South Americans were eliminated from the tourney. Great attendance and attitude from the Chileans, I love them. flowx, burr, crit and whitechoc (can't fluke a semis appearance :P) also bit the dust along with many other talented fraggers.

Round 4: StalwartXL

The final map from KOTR.II was used in the semis and the surprise winner (for most at least), was bug. Guy dropped 178 frags vs some heavy duty talent, while vitz won his heat dropping 176 frags. ph34r was hot on his trot but only managed to amass a meager 175 frags. In all seriousness, it was a great performance but I can't help the fact that this song pops into my head whenever I see him chilling there below vitz...

This map was a nail-biter with a lot of people see-sawing back and forth. Over 15mins, people would rise to 3rd, drop to 9th and go all over the place. iMt got extremely hot on several occasions but he had a tough time sustaining the pace. The closest battle however was between Cy and Amadeus. Amadeus was about 5 kills back with a minute left but managed to tie things up with Cy in the dying seconds of the match. Cy was a bit campy throughout StalXL but it helped him out with his efficiency which was ultimately the tiebreaker for this duo.

Fallen soldiers in the semis included: Sens, ramdrop, iMt, Amadeus, mejji, ravonix, lockpick, krazyaim, SunnY, Banko. Kudos to everyone who made it this far.

Round 5: Curse][ - The Finals:

Entering the fourth hour of the tournament, 10 combatants remained, hoping to wear the illustrious crown and get comfortable on the make-believe throne. King Vitrae stared down his worthy adversaries and donned his armor to defend his title. In the first 5 minutes of the game, FALLACY started at an absolutely blistering pace but then n0b called that he would choke and like any other player who caves to pressure.. he choked. Hatchet was lurking around top 3 and vitz had a slow start.

As the time elapsed; FALLACY, Hatchet and Vitz separated themselves as the front runners, being 20-30+ at certain points. The finals were 20mins instead of 15 and as time elapsed, Vitz maintained a blistering pace while the other two suffered some cold spells. Vitz hit 219 and ran away with the title. He was the only player to break 200 and did the tournament proud by pulling off the first KOTR repeat.

Cy had a rough start and never recovered and the keekle master rummy himself bit off more ice than he could swallow. ph34r despite hating Curse, managed to rack up 184 frags and come 4th (just off the podium.. awwwww) and my darkhorse Dew came in 5th. Major props to dickfish, bug and riven for making the finals. Despite a server blip with 5mins remaining, the whole tournament ran extremely smoothly.

With another PT win, I regret to announce that I will be renaming the website...

The English, Dutch, Swedes, American, Canadian, German, Chilean or some other nationality is going to have to start stepping into the winners circle...

To catch a repeat:

http://www.twitch.tv/globalunrealtv/b/368468959

Overall, thanks to everyone who participated, promoted and helped run the event. Congrats to vitz and I look forward to doing more tournaments in the near future.

Sincerely yours,

The Spectator.
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Re: KOTR #3 Results and Summary

Postby RickJames » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:11 am

Nice post and nice tourney, as expected :D

I may have lost my stacked heat, but next kotr...

RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Sonic|^ » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:27 am

I would have had this. Vitz ain't shit :twisted:

Waiting for another amazing video from Disconnect.
Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby altgamer » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:49 am

Pretty safe to say mrgrins was ecstatic with his monster kill lol

altgamer

Postby Shut » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:50 am

Was really fun, gg to everyone who played it and a big congratz to ppl who made it possible!
Shut

Postby Morpheus » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:36 am

What a surprise PT wins again... :D Congrats vitz!

CHUPEM CAMONES CARALHO!!!
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby wut » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:59 am

i had a great time and i got to the third round but faced some big time fraggers,didnt come in last so its a win for me.looking forward to the next kotr.PS good job vitz :D
wut
MTV Cribs

Postby flowX » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:15 am

congrats vitz. and n1 hatchet and bug :P

p.s. next kotr no hangover for me ;)

gj admins

o/
flowX

Postby dR3 » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:58 am

dR3

Postby Aven » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:02 am

Izzat you? That's my boy, blue. :mrgreen:

Grins put camera above waist high cause' no pants on.

That's how the pros do it, especially in mw3. Can't whip around'n chair too fast though or 'might see tip flicking in back groundz' :mrgreen:
Image Image
Aven
Vargo Hoat

Postby [Globe|Cow] » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:02 am

It was amazingly fun! Thanks to everyone who made it possible.

Congratulation Vitz.

Only comment i might add is the FA players. Of course, some of them will be needed at some point of the tourney. But imo, you should divise them in 3-4 groups (gold, silver, bronze, iron) or something like that. I explain what i mean.

I was in heat 8 (and got cowned :lol: ) and Fuers was missing. He got replace by bug who was a terrible monsterfragger! It's hard to get everyone but next time we should try to sub missing players with someone else with the same all-around skills.

What do you think about that? I'm not complaining tho since i was disqualified after 1st round anyway.

Really enjoy it!
Thanks G-Unit!
[Globe|Cow]

Postby CoBRa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:34 am

grtz vitz and everyone who made it to final

cya next time hopefully without Cityzen :p

CoBRa

Postby HuMPtY » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:08 pm

Ggs was a lot of fun (although slightly stressy) atleast in the first couple rounds :)

My own game i thought i could of done better :< was dead last for so long on cityzen and managed to get within a couple frags but then choked at the end :|

@Globecow, sorry about that and thanks for the input;D i was trying to replace like for like but it became pretty difficult towards the end when there was 5 gold players waiting to play and not much else:<
Im sorry to Apokalyps and Isso who were the only 2 who wanted to play that we couldnt find spots for :<

Congratz to mr Vitrae once again proving hes the best outright dm'er and fragger atm xD

Big shoutout to white[choc] who outdid PACO (not that it was very difficult).

Tim,Monk,ulo,Rum,n0b,Chica all da best!

grins i heart you <3

p.s PACO SUCKS LOL

p.p.s PACO WENT OUT IN ROUND 2 LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

p.p.p.s white>PACO
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby vitz^ » Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:14 pm

gg thx all 8-)

KOTR 2 went abit better for me though! 8-) Proof of that is that i only had 2 or 3 monsterkills throughout all maps and only won 3 heats. Luckily the final was one of them! It could easily have been a different story if uenz, noobx, shots, etc would of showed up.

However, played in bug, hatchet and ph34r's respective heats a few times and they all came really close of winning this thing. Even Sens could have taken it, if he didnt play so much shitmania. :D Dewsick could have taken it aswell, won KOTR1 so hes a champion and always makes it to the final. Also FALLACY scared me abit on the final, had to keep my best composure to come back 15+ frags from his crazy start.

Im just glad that crown stays in pt lands, together with all recent portugalien GU trophys :-D :-D :-D ptunreal sounds good PACKO, make it happen xD

thx all :) regards!
vitz^

Postby bug » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:05 pm

nice tourney and well done to all supervising admins and patient people!
i was quite suprised winning every heat and ending in the finals with a very sufficient spot (curse that curse..).

and congratz vitz!
bug

Postby Bear » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:12 pm

congratz vitrae!!! :D
Bear

Postby [Globe|Cow] » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:14 pm

[Globe|Cow]

Postby Hinata » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:47 pm

gg, I liked it. It was quite fun and I'm happy of my performance x) I thought i would lose really earlier x).

Anyway Dew, rum, riven and dickfish were too much for me. I'm also not comfortable on this shit cityzen map...

gg, and I hope the next season will include maps like DM-Thurday. ;)
Rule 30: Players won't be judged equally for breaking the same rule.
Hinata

Postby rain » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:05 pm

gj vitrae ~8> $1500!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Image Global.iCTF I - Champions (·shøckWave·)
rain

Postby [Globe|Cow] » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:19 pm

[Globe|Cow]

Postby x4.unreal » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:41 pm

x4.unreal

Postby Pks » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:15 pm

Hi, was fun. See u next year for Kotr 4? 8)
Pks

Postby ramdrop » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:05 pm

Just uploaded my recorded coverage:

Round 1:

Round 2:
Image Image Image
ramdrop

Postby whitechocakagod » Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:52 pm

Honestly, 20 years down the road, nobody is going to remember who won this tourney. What they will remember are these fine points:

1. Mr. Grins actually made dm fun to watch...
2. PACO lost in the second round and whitechoc advanced...
3. Wow PACO that is terrible...
4. I can't believe PACO lost to whitechoc in his own mod...
5. That is really pathetic PACO...
6. Holy shit do you remember that time whitechoc actually made it to round 3? Yeah man that was the same season PACO ducked out in round 2? hahhahaha what a sucker...
whitechocakagod

Postby KillEmAll » Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:53 pm

GG's to everyone, especially the ones that put in the work to make it happen!

Comgrats Vitrae :)

I made the write up, "KillSomeOfEm" Can't get any better. :shock:
KillEmAll

Next

Return to UT99 Tournaments