Feel?

irc.utchat.com #uPug

Feel?

Postby Sonic|^ » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:13 pm

Multiple people (dray, IR) have said that playing in #uPugs doesn't "feel" like weapons ctf. I'm making this thread to try to understand what they mean. Can you guys elaborate what exactly is it that prevents you guys from enjoying it as much as non-newnet ctf? Other people are welcome to voice their opinion. I know this is asking a lot but please keep it civil.
Image.........
Sonic|^

Re: Feel?

Postby Sunny » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:25 pm

weapon switch speed.
Sunny

Postby windigo » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:34 pm

low pinging east coasters aren't enjoying the same advantages they had prior to newnet
windigo

Postby Bizmonkey » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:26 pm

Rate of fire always felt weird going from one to the other. I know it's a compensation thing, but it does feel different.
Bizmonkey

Postby Sonic|^ » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:04 pm

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby frauenarZt » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:28 pm

Rate of fire/ammo is ridiculous + causes severe weapon imbalances. Some projectiles don't work as naturally as they used to (rox/rippers especially), many basic gameplay bugs like "Getweapon 1" now prioritizes impact hammer over translocator when it previously didn't and shouldn't for any reason.
frauenarZt

Postby TimTim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:57 am

First, please read these threads:
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=783
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=805
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=804
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=806
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=816
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=1025

Second, "getweapon 1" isn't a valid weapon switch bind, but I know what you mean. It might be getting your impact hammer first because you have it at a higher priority than your translocator. This could be a side effect of the new feature that allows you to spawn with translocator by prioritizing it above enforcer (which I added because of the many requests for it). I'll look into the "switchweapon 1" bind when I get a chance though to be sure.

Lastly, it's never going to feel like reg because it isn't reg. But I guarantee if you actually really swallow your pride, give it a shot, start uPugging on a regular basis and get used to it (rather than actively looking for reasons to hate it), you'll find out that you prefer it over reg.

:)
TimTim

Postby Sonic|^ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:36 am

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby djoh » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:42 am

In my opinion, the sniper ROF is the only major difference between the two, and the thing that irks me the most when playing newnet. But it certainly wouldn't stop me from joining a newnet pug if I wanted to play UT and it was the only option. But Sonic and TimTim, you guys must understand that when it really comes down to it, a lot of people will always prefer the feel of classic UT, it's just the way it is. Why try to change their minds?

If you really want to get people playing newnet/upug, the best way would be to actually host a NW CTF tournament on this website. I had an idea to host a 2v2 tourney on proU (), but it was DOA. Feel free to use my format/maplist if you want to do it. Or host a 5v5 tourney. You guys have been talking/thinking about it too long. Time to go ahead and do something, I think.
djoh

Postby Sonic|^ » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:53 am

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby TimTim » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:54 am

Thanks for the kind words djoh. We have things in the works behind the scenes that need to be completed before starting any weapons tournaments or leagues here. I know it seems like a long wait but there's no doubt in my mind that it will be entirely worth the delay.
TimTim

Postby frauenarZt » Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:58 pm

frauenarZt

Postby Dray » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:47 pm

The flow is not the same and despite the fact that I no longer have a 70-100 ping disadvantage it does not feel like 0 ping weapons. It really does feel like speedpug with paintball guns. Despite my most of my favourite ut people (such as indoe/ mess / yeet ect. ) playing it, I find little to no enjoyment / excitement in the game play. Infact the only enjoyment to me are the people Its as different from ut99 as 2k4/ ut3 / quake are. I truly don't see the point in writing about it as Timtim has stated several times times that my opinion and anyone with the same opinion do not matter("end of discussion"). I will give you a brief overview as to why, since I like you Sonic.

The entire game play has been altered drastically:

The main factors that have changed the game play for the worse and have destroyed the flow that I enjoyed so much.

1) fws, this is the reason I believe the changes listed after this "had " to happen. FWS is very stupid and it is something that is of great benefit to me personally (see past mluts).
2) ROF changes to bring the "op" weapons "under control"
3) damages across the board, I'm surprised goo hasn't been nerfed. I'm betting it would be if i played D with it for several pugs.
4) translocator issues, for example: you cannot telefrag someone by them stepping on it ( my trans D on the flag which is very effective at 70-220 ping is now pointless)

TLDR:

It is not 0 ping weapons it is another game.

There are a lot more reasons and feel free to pm me to go over them if you would like, Sonic.

I applaud the IG version of newnet (other than recently sliding players) which is for the most part perfect.
Dray

Return to #uPug