Maps on servers

irc.utchat.com #uPug

Maps on servers

Postby RickJames » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:40 pm

These horrible "gudm" map modifications, made by sLY, are the only options in 1v1 vote on the newnet servers. Modifying classic maps like deck16 and codex and forcing them on the community because sLY thinks it's a good idea? Why is sLY involved with anything in this community? And the current newnet version doesn't even have fws on for tdm and 1v1. Is this someone's vision for the "future of UT"?

Please fix
Last edited by RickJames on Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Re: Maps on servers

Postby TimTim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:41 pm

Weapon switch is quick in tdm/1v1 since there's no translocator.
TimTim

Postby RickJames » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm

Ok that's good- Now someone fix the mapvote :D
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby TimTim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:46 pm

Deck probably shouldn't be modified but from what I've heard about it, the change is pretty insignificant.
TimTim

Postby RickJames » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:03 pm

RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby TimTim » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:10 pm

What's up with people around here thinking everything is set in stone... :|
TimTim

Postby RickJames » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:12 pm

I don't think it's set in stone- I sure hope to God it's not, that would be rediculous.

The question is, why are they set as the only options in mapvote? Someone is obviously listening to sLY on that one, especially since sLY wanted both versions of turbine on the serv and they're both there (yet only sLY's versions of the other maps are votable).

sLY is obviously influencing the maplist on the server, why?
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby sLY » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:55 am

Rick,

You are the only person throwing a fit about these "horrible" map modifications. The changes are extremely insignificant and do not have an impact on the flow of the maps. After successfully running MLDM 1 with 40 matches, 0 forfeits, and 27 streams, I am doing what I feel is best for the upcoming sequel to the tournament (which will be GU branded). While many of these ideas have originated with me, I have discussed the modification and implementation with a variety of players including Mintek and Sezco. All three of us are $900 valued CTF, TDM, and 1v1 players. Our opinion on these slight modifications holds a lot more merit than yours for the following reasons:

1) I was the head admin of MLDM 1. The first major 1v1 tournament in a long time. 40 matches, 0 forfeits, 27 streams.
2) You were eliminated in Round 1 of Division 2 by TSM.
3) You whine about modifications, yet your server is not configured properly for competitive play.
4) The truth is you really aren't even upset with the changes. You are upset that you aren't getting to play on the same version of a map your idols played on back in 1999/2000. You have this weird and unhealthy obsession with the players from the past since you started UT in 2011.

If the changes were more significant, your point would be more valid. The only map that has been heavily modified is Turbine. With that, I actually agree that the original Turbine should also be available to be played on. Same goes for the new "Liandria" map that we will be releasing. The original Liandri should stay on servers as a choice for the players. These are new maps being developed to what we see as major flaws in the overall flow. We are experimenting with the maps and will let the feedback from the community ultimately decide their fate in the tournament.

In the meantime, you need to start practicing because I was informed that you are still accusing chicken of cheating for TSM in the Divison 2 MLDM tournament.

P.S. I will be making a detailed post explaining each minor change to the potential maps for the upcoming tournament. Nothing is set in stone and the community's voice will be heard. As it stands now, the vast majority agree with the changes, only one whiny baby is making some noise.
sLY

Postby detox » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:41 am

detox
Biblical Figure

Postby mintek » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:56 am

Rick the changes are not important enough to use the older version. Older versions are flawed, have been for a while too.

-deck 16 is only a reduction in sniper rifle ammos. There is just too many sniper ammos across this map, period, its even more retarded in duels. You are unlikely to run out of sniper ammo in the new version since there is still 2 sniper and 3 boxes during a duel, but you arent gona spawn with 50 ammos. Id push for the same version in tdm, so sitting on top is not rewarded as much as it is now. There plently of other tdm maps with less sniper box than the GU version and we get snipers just fine. Original deck is just overdoing it.

- Agony, is a spawn fix, there was half the spawn of the full map in the room next to belt room (the one with window). Out of the map 10 spawn, 5 where in that room, 4 by the window, 1 in a corner. This was reduced to 1 by the window and 1 new by the ripper.

-Codex is an even less important spawn fix, there was 3 spawn under the armor out of 11 spawns. 1 of them was removed(the one by the ramp, since unlike the other 2 its not protected. The other 2 are by that wall hole near shock and right under the ramp, giving you a more protected spawn So you are less likely to spawn there while the enemy is in the zone and sitting right in the middle of the room.

Those are slight but sensible changes that anyone can agree with.

Turbine is a simple attempt to make the map popular in duel, the regular version should stay for tdm, the regular version is never picked in duels, havent been for years, but should still be on the duel list for variety. Spawn fix and ammo fix to regular map should be the default on map list. Id be willing to bet if you played agony-GU or codex-GU, you would have never known what the changes were, except after you notice you didnt get spawn killed 4 times in row from a window.
mintek

Return to #uPug