NN nwTDM Tourney Ideas

Gaming and Community discourse.

NN nwTDM Tourney Ideas

Postby RickJames » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:54 pm

Hi friends,

Assuming it's not stepping on the toes of anyone else planning a tourney, I'd like to run a newnet nwTDM tourney on GU. I realize that nwTDM hasn't had much activity in recent times, however many of our tdmpickups guys are still hanging around. Most important for such a thing to be possible, though, would be interest from the ig and nwctf communities.

I would need permission and/or help from the GU admin staff to run such a tourney. I'd hope some of the admins would be willing to set servers and maybe even help organize stuff, but I'd be willing to bear a lot of the load myself if required. It would be cool if the tourney were hosted on the gu site, but if this isn't possible, I could make brackets and organize things via the forums.

I've seen various ig players such as morpheus, monk, finalz, kylewins, rain, etc give strong performances in newnet nwTDM pugs. Also, there are plenty of strong weapons players from south america, europe, and even asia that I'd like to see participate. I'm hoping that the use of newnet would help draw such players in.

The goal of this proposed tourney would simply be to have some fun, competitive matches with 0 forfeits. I'm making this thread to get input on different format ideas and gauge/stir up interest.

I'm favoring new york only servers. It's the best way to integrate players from everywhere.

I'm heavily favoring 2v2, since it would likely be more manageable, allow for more teams, and would favor a "pair up with your friends" format. 2v2 also allows for more action on smaller maps, and is easier for players unfamiliar with TDM to adjust to, since the larger maps tend to be more complex to learn. I'm thinking team sizes of 3 or 4 players.

Imagine teams like morpheus + vitrae or infamousraider + jyb. Definitely strong duos who would be a ton of fun to watch. Or imagine me + se7en vs sovvie + fallacy. Lower tier games can and should be as exciting as upper tier ones.

I'd like to find a way to make it fair for teams of all skill levels and experience, to encourage players new to nwTDM to sign up. Perhaps there could be multiple divisions? Perhaps higher seeded teams could get byes to the 2nd round, and let the lower teams play each other in the first? Perhaps the bracket could simply be purposely structured to give interesting matchups? Open to input here :D

This would obviously depend on the number of teams, but I'd like it to be short without putting a ton of strain on me/any admins who help out. Sunday tourney? Two sunday tourney? Weekend tourney? Curious what you guys think.

This is obviously based a lot on interest, but should there be a limit on number of teams to keep the length down? I'm thinking of just gauging interest, opening signups for a while, and going from there, but would like to hear some thoughts here, too.

The maplist would probably be pretty standard. Deck, codex, liandri, turbine, and agony are obvious inclusions. Other maps like nitro, tempest, and malevolence would also be considerations, but I'm not sure if the maplist should have a set length because I'm not sure about what the map selection process should be. Each team just picks one? Elimination? Should a team only be able to select a certain map x number of times? Again, level of interest has some bearing on this, but I'd like to hear opinions :)

Best of 3 for each round makes the most sense. Maybe 5 maps for the final?

Settings would be standard invis off, belt on, weaponstay off, friendly fire on. The big questions here are: Amp on vs off and 15 mins vs 20 mins. Amp, for 2v2, has historically been on in the NA community and off in the euro community. 20 min maps have been the standard in competition in both communities, but 15 is faster ofc. I'm completely open to input on both of these settings :D

If there's enough interest to justify it, I'd be willing to offer prizes. Steam games or even hardware would be considered. I don't have the capabilities to stream myself, but it would be awesome if I could convince one of the streamers in this community to help out. I'll look into it if/when other stuff gets set in place. At the very least, I'd be involved in collecting demos and youtubing highlights.

If you have any interest in such a thing at all, even if you don't have opinions on the above ideas, please post here. You can try newnet nwTDM pugs in #upug ofc. If you're an iCTF player who's not sure, I can tell you that iCTF players have historically transitioned well to newnet nwTDM, even with little experience. <3
Last edited by RickJames on Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Re: NN nwTDM Tourney Ideas

Postby 'ZaccyBoy » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:05 pm

YES PLEASE!!! I've always been a heavy NW fan, instagib bores me. but once that sniper and shock come to the playing field... damn mom gtfo.
'ZaccyBoy

Postby detox » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:23 pm

You should do it.

Reg. #tdmpickups.
detox
Biblical Figure

Postby blackout\\ » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Looking for a 2v2 TDM partner. PM me for applications
blackout\\

Postby kud » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:14 pm

i'd play. include spheres and phobos plz
kud
Walder Frey

Postby ShadowFax » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:25 am

Sounds interesting and fun. Would play but I have never played nw before, nor do I know how to play it :D
ShadowFax

Postby Finalz » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:56 am

Nice initiative RickJames,

I'd probably sign up for this if i got a partner who can guide me abit with normal weapons, since all i do is run around with a sniper rifle and hunt people down \o/
Last edited by Finalz on Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Finalz

Postby Hinata » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:49 am

Really interesting! But I never really played nw..
Rule 30: Players won't be judged equally for breaking the same rule.
Hinata

Postby Bizmonkey » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:02 am

I'd be down. Would prefer reg, but still down! :)
Bizmonkey

Postby 'ZaccyBoy » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:30 am

Please, if there are maps out there needed to be Dm'd or fixed or anything ill help out
'ZaccyBoy

Postby seriousnoob » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:40 pm

I'd play too, if someone wants a complete noob as a partner :D
seriousnoob

Postby DREW-TANg » Sat Dec 14, 2013 3:17 pm

DREW-TANg

Postby RickJames » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:30 am

RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby HULKSMASH » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:39 am

Cool idea rick! Best of luck.
HULKSMASH

Postby Bizmonkey » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:10 am

20 minutes of 2v2 is a long time. I think 15 would be ideal.
Bizmonkey

Postby RickJames » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:06 am

Wanted to give an update:

I've been delaying things because the latest newnet version has slow weapon switch speeds. nwTDM has been played with fws on for years in both the na and eu communities, and playing without it affects the dynamics a good bit. So my choices become either reg or slow switch newnet, and it seems like a lose/lose situation.

I'm not sure what to do- If there's enough interest in this tourney for it to be successful, I'll probably try to proceed and make the best with slow switch newnet. Any opinions?
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby KillEmAll » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:29 am

i love ya Rick. but not interested since the latest versions of newnet.
KillEmAll

Postby seriousnoob » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:49 am

Tim really should stop trying to have the same settings for all gametypes.. TDM needs FWS. I think I'd rather play reg in this case.
seriousnoob

Postby detox » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:22 pm

newnet feels a little too autimstic these days.
detox
Biblical Figure

Postby kud » Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:48 pm

i wish it was customizable so everyone was happy, but i guess it's not. o wellz
kud
Walder Frey

Postby KillEmAll » Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:55 pm

Maybe once Timmy Poo feels comfortable with the core, he will make it adjustable per mod.
Doing it in beta could make it a nightmare for him to troubleshoot.
KillEmAll

Postby seriousnoob » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:43 pm

As far as I understand the final version will be open source, and I'm sure someone who can code will make a customizable version of it or DM/TDM/CTF ones.
seriousnoob

Postby Solidsnake » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:04 pm

would be fun !
ImageImage
Solidsnake

Return to General Discussion