Anti-Cheat ?

Gaming and Community discourse.

Anti-Cheat ?

Postby Riven » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:26 pm

Hey TimTim :geek:

You said you can do easily a good anticheat ... But wont do it unless we get a bigger community ... we wont get a bigger community if cheaters run around here.
So please make one!!!
Riven
Olive Oil

Re: Anti-Cheat ?

Postby Sonic|^ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby TimTim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:42 pm

I don't recall every saying it would be easy. And an anti-cheat won't magically bring in hundreds of players.
TimTim

Postby Riven » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:47 pm

Riven
Olive Oil

Postby TimTim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:06 pm

I never said anything like that. At most, I said I know how to do it. If I had the source for ACE, I could do it quickly; but since I don't, I'll have to recreate all of it which will be tedious and not worth the effort when time can be better spent increasing the playerbase through other means.
TimTim

Postby risus` » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:59 pm

I think there was a thread awhile ago about raising enough money to pay someone to do it. Or have a third party pay to do it. IMO I think an anticheat you must load before the game would be best. Kind of like a CEVO Paladin where you have to load it up before game and it tell you who is connected.

However, I still don't think there is a cheating epidemic right now.
risus`

Postby Carras » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:35 pm

My first thought is maybe it's difficult to keep new people in this community because fact is, even mid-tier players play well enough now to be perceived as cheaters to the newcomers. Then add the fact that half of this community once cheated and some were recently caught... it just doesn't paint the best picture.
Having a new anti-cheat would help people realize that it's legit without question.

- i would contribute to an anti-cheat fund. if you don't, you're a cheater :D
- if 200 people offer $5 that's $1000. If you don't have $5 to spare, you're a cheater :D

A kickstarter would be easy to setup. Details would need lots of ironing though...
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby |uK|Shiva » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:51 pm

I would contribute as well. My guestimate is this would cost somewhere about $2000 and not $200. (Considering the time and effort not only to build an anticheat but to maintain it regularly).
|uK|Shiva

Postby blackout\\ » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:42 pm

I would like to donate $22 dollars to this cause.
blackout\\

Postby CLANKILLER » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:35 pm

CLANKILLER

Postby Sauron » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:42 pm

What does anthrax have to say about releasing his source code to you tim?
Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby FALLACY » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:50 pm

FALLACY

Postby Riven » Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:13 am

i would probably make a donation of around 50€ for it ...
Atleast 10 people are cheating which are actively playing I can tell.
Biggest example is solidsnake
he went from bt to instagib like 1,5 years ago ... He was caught cheating in ut2k4. last gu.ictf season he was $300
Now he defeated oG in the finals of the clanbase ictf cup like 2 weeks ago by almost himself alone, having way higher efficiency and frags than fisk on every map(both were defending).
He played against Dewsick rain and me on offense.
People from his team told me he is still on 60hz btw .. when he was accused of cheating a couple of months ago he started to play bad again so the
spotlight would go off from him ... If you investigate players precise, you will find sometimes weird things ...
And I'm sure hes not legit ...

So, if you want to let grow the community, we shall have some prizes for the first place team of a season, but you cant do that if cheaters are around.
That's why we need an anti cheat.
Riven
Olive Oil

Postby kE » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:50 am

I think we should be able to get in touch with Anthrax via some of his old belgian UT friends or unrealadmin forum if you'd really be interested to continue ACE.

Don't want to be rude but donations won't get us enough by far to pay for development.
kE

Postby KillEmAll » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:08 am

They were testing ACE 9.0 on some euro servers a while back. I never heard anything more after that.
KillEmAll

Postby vitz^ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:10 am

cheaters? no way..
there are no cheaters.
* * * free spyzy * * *
vitz^

Postby |uK|Shiva » Fri Dec 20, 2013 12:49 pm

Although I understand your sarcasm vitz.. but I really think we need to be serious about this issue. I believe if the entire community shows enough interest in this and if Tim is willing to take on the challenge for a reasonable compensation (eliminating the "lack of value") this might be the best thing we did for this community.
Me and PACO had tried to revive this earlier but it always stops at "too much work" or "cant go on without ace source" etc.
I think there is some momentum here and we should all use it.
|uK|Shiva

Postby vitz^ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:10 pm

vitz^

Postby Bizmonkey » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:20 pm

An updated anti-cheat would be fantastic. Client-side would be great, especially for the shenanigans that will ensue when someone can't get it properly installed, seeks support on the forums, and everyone trolls them with cheater posts :lol:

If we got the ACE source, and/or someone we can trust (like Tim) were to work on this, I'd be more than happy to chip in. I'm less inclined when it's someone outside of our community, and I doubt we could drum up the funding necessary for someone not invested in the outcome.
Bizmonkey

Postby PACO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:51 pm

The newest ACE was cracked immediately while still in the Beta phase and only on a few servers. One of the guys coding clearly has a pretty good understanding on how to get past it. Anth being around would be a major asset but it seems like he's not too involved at the moment.

No anti-cheat = no large scale tournaments or prize money. Running an online competition for prize money is almost ALWAYS a bad idea but the notion is ludicrous when the existing protection is paper thin. I don't think that there is a major cheating epidemic but it is still extremely problematic and probably the biggest threat to this community. As someone who has actually recruited new players from different games, I know that bigger tournaments and knowledge that the game is secure would go a long way with getting more players and more stream viewers.
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby risus` » Fri Dec 20, 2013 3:10 pm

I'd be reluctant to ever participate in a paid tournament even with a proper anticheat. But without one... never. Unless one of you west coasters want to LAN and put some side bets for fun :mrgreen:

I am willing to bet any server side client can be cracked much easier for a coder than a client side program that boots up your game and hides itself. I've seen it be effective in other games but I don't know how realistic it is for UT.
risus`

Postby MP/5 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:48 pm

i was willing to donate 50$ to paco so at least some of the money load will come off of him. if he will tell me that's the best use for this money i will be glad to donate it for that cause.
MP/5
MP3

Postby risus` » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:50 pm

I found this..

http://uac.ac/

It's a Universal Anti-Cheat and it has Unreal Tournament as an option. Dunno if it works for UT99 or later versions or if it at all. Unfortunately, it is being discontinued Jan 1, 2014.
risus`

Postby Hinata » Fri Dec 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Rule 30: Players won't be judged equally for breaking the same rule.
Hinata

Postby blade » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:08 pm

This thread looks very familiar along with the individual posts. Oh yeah, welcome to 2 years ago. A call for anti-cheat back then went nowhere and neither has quite a few calls on here since. if anybody expects differently this time, I would be surprised.

As valid as this issue is, remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.
Image Hope. Inspire. Dream. Live.
blade

Next

Return to General Discussion