It's been fun!

Gaming and Community discourse.

It's been fun!

Postby TimTim » Wed May 07, 2014 3:37 am

I've put a lot of thought into it over the past few months, and I'm officially stepping down from GU. I'm sure a number of you saw it coming, and I couldn't help but notice that some have actively been trying to make it happen. (And I hope these people realize how incredibly ridiculous they are.)

To be clear: There is no bad blood. No drama. No bridges burned. At least, that is not my intention and I apologize if anyone feels differently. I'm announcing this publicly because I know people will want to know my reasons, the main one being that my time is limited and it will be better spent working on other things.

Don't confuse this with me leaving UT completely behind. If you haven't noticed by now, I love this old game. No other can really compare. It will always hold a special place in my heart.

When I began developing NewNet, before GU really made a name for itself, I was looking for an organized setting to use my mod and unite as many UT players as possible from all over the world. Andrew (PACO) came to me and told me about GlobalUnreal and it seemed to be exactly what I was looking for. One thing led to another, and I made NewNet exclusive to GU in an attempt to bring everyone under one roof. Since then, I've put over a thousand hours of my time into this project (NewNet, other small mods, site, pug bot, servers, babysitting, etc.) because I've had a vision for making UT relevant to the modern world again, and all of these pieces must work together as one for it to happen.

Sadly, I wish I could have provided more and fulfilled all of my promises, but I'm only one man and I have other obligations, and no one here is making a living from this. A huge part of my goal is to change that, and this concept is why I no longer feel that GU and I are a good fit. As the title states, it's been fun... but the main reason for my departure is that GU's current structure and methodologies simply do not meet the standards that I believe are necessary to reach said goal. I don't really blame any of the other admins, because they (like me) have just been doing what they could on top of an already flawed foundation with the limited resources available to them.

To elaborate, professionalism plays a huge part in the success of any organization that wishes to grow. If the goal is to play an old video game with a handful of old friends and a few new acquaintances, GU is the perfect place for that. But if the goal is to become a sustainable organization with the means to expand and to provide some type of tangible reward for its members, in this day and age, it requires professional cohesion and infrastructure, capital resources, engineering-driven culture, and minimal legacy dependencies.

I'm sure many of you can attest to the fact that UT99 is easily the purest form of eSports, a growing industry with millions of participants. This game is probably the closest a first person shooter will ever get to a real sport. The release of Unreal Engine 4 to the masses couldn't have come at a better time. And if any of you have kept up with what people on all corners of the internet are saying, you'd notice a clear pattern:

1) People want the simplicity that is the original UT, but they want it in modern form. Depending on what exactly Epic permits, I will "spiritually remake" UT99 in UE4 (regardless of OpenTournament's configuration, though still completely configurable) by adjusting Epic's assets to match UT99's gameplay where feasible. I'll also do what I can to import the popular maps, while giving them face lifts, of course.

2) People have also made it clear that they want UT in the web browser with all kinds of pretty stats and matchmaking capabilities. And as many of you know, I've been working on exactly this for a very long time. It's currently around 80% completion, working as flawlessly as one can conceive, as it isn't hindered by trying to integrate with legacy PHP forum code.

To reiterate, UT99 will be reincarnated within Unreal Engine 4 and it will have full web browser support. Anyone from this community who wishes to be part of the private beta will be at the top of the list. I just purchased uTournament.net today, so until I'm able to put up a proper splash page, send an email with the subject "I'm from GU!" to [email protected]. Or if you think you have what it takes to be uTournament staff, send an email to [email protected] including your résumé and what you feel you can bring to the table. Also feel free to idle in #uTournament on irc.globalgamers.net or irc.quakenet.org. We may even be able to get some pugs going soon!

I will still be around in the UT99 scene (to wrap up this season for my team, at the very least), and I'm sure I'll still be pugging here and there. The difference is that I no longer feel it is worth it to devote anymore of my time and energy to improving UT99.

;)

Props to:
- Andrew (PACO) for starting GU against all odds, advertising, streaming, and dealing with the many manchildren who compose the UT community.
- Jess (Chica/HULKSMASH) for being Andrew's right-hand woman and putting in all of the hard work of filling in the gaps.
- Rain for leading multiple successful leagues, providing multiple servers, and being an all around good guy.
- Humpty for solid leadership and not being afraid to do what needs to be done.
- Monk for his experience in keeping leagues and tournaments within their boundaries.
- Vitz for spending countless hours trying to clean up shop.
- Nobody for being Nobody, the guy in the background of every picture.
- Every other admin for their contributions: Grins, Spydee, Ulo, Hertz, Detox, Kyle, Snap, Scream, Sponge, FlowX, Kud, Imperious, Unrealshots, and anyone else I may have forgotten.
- Every single one of you who continues playing this old game to this day. You've made all the work I've put into it completely worth it.
TimTim

Re: It's been fun!

Postby Riven » Wed May 07, 2014 4:11 am

Oh man, :?

This will be the end of ut99 I think :(
You earned all of our respect putting that much effort into this game and we are very thankful for that mate!

I don't really know what to say,
I don't want you to go Tim!

Riven
Olive Oil

Postby RickJames » Wed May 07, 2014 4:18 am

Only thing that concerns me is that you're the only person who knows how to work this loggur software, and the site is currently broken and lacking functionality. Hopefully a new system is found?

I don't agree with these negative ideas about the future of ut99 or the community, but I appreciate the work you did on newnet.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby TimTim » Wed May 07, 2014 4:23 am

Way ahead of you there, RJ. I've cached the HTML of every page on the site so that they'll work (instantly) without the software since when the new version of Loggur goes live, it will break anything created with the old. It should also be trivial to extract all of the data from the cached HTML.
TimTim

Postby unrealshots » Wed May 07, 2014 4:28 am

Hey bud. I know we had our differences and didn't see eye to eye but I always appreciated the time and the effort you put into what you've done for all of us here at GU. Put alot of extra life back into UT at the end of the day we are all human and sometime or another need a break thanks Tim for everything.
Image Image ·GU I PBR Quarter Finalist· ·GU II roflnation Winner· ·GU III \\cG Semi Finalist· ·GU IV \\'. Finalist· ·GU V iB. Winner·
unrealshots
Batman

Postby Hinata » Wed May 07, 2014 6:51 am

Rule 30: Players won't be judged equally for breaking the same rule.
Hinata

Postby KillEmAll » Wed May 07, 2014 11:08 am

Have fun Friend :)
KillEmAll

Postby blackout\\ » Wed May 07, 2014 11:48 am

Thank you for all your work and providing a mod that gives everyone an equal playing field chance. We've had our differences (still do potentially) but I can definitely recognize the work you've done. Good luck in your future endeavors.
blackout\\

Postby Solidsnake » Wed May 07, 2014 12:05 pm

Thanks for everything TimTim.
Your the best !
ImageImage
Solidsnake

Postby ScReaM » Wed May 07, 2014 12:42 pm

this is so SAD :( thank you for eveything timtim :)
ScReaM

Postby sn3p » Wed May 07, 2014 12:53 pm

Really sad to see you go Tim, even though this is not goodbye.
Thanks for all the work you did on NewNet and for GU. Your share in keeping this game alive is invaluable.
Good luck with your future plans and projects, I can't wait to see some results :twisted:
sn3p

Postby tigerclaw1987 » Wed May 07, 2014 1:03 pm

see you in OT ;)
tigerclaw1987

Postby Sonic|^ » Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 pm

He ain't going nowhere people. Jesus. Good luck with your other projects.
Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby kud » Wed May 07, 2014 2:01 pm

looking forward to seeing what you accomplish on the next game you dedicate you time to
kud
Walder Frey

Postby vitz^ » Wed May 07, 2014 2:12 pm

thanks for everything you done for this game TimTim and good luck in your future endeavours :)
vitz^

Postby Complete` » Wed May 07, 2014 3:11 pm

Good luck Tim! You've done a fine job so far. I'm sure your other project will be good as well.
Complete`

Postby Rev » Wed May 07, 2014 3:50 pm

I have had my share of differences with you as we'll Tim but I respect the shit out of your abilities. I will watch your open tournament project with great interest! Thanks for all your hard work.
Rev

Postby Sakura » Wed May 07, 2014 6:05 pm

Thank you for all your hard work TimTim. One day I want to be a great coder like you!
Sakura

Postby PACO » Wed May 07, 2014 9:10 pm

PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby Sauron » Wed May 07, 2014 9:53 pm

Was hoping you'd create a standalone anticheat for UT, but good luck with your other projects. Newnet turned out nicely, in the least!
Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby csnafk » Wed May 07, 2014 10:19 pm

csnafk
Barney Gumble

Postby rasta-man » Thu May 08, 2014 12:05 am

i wish GOD will watch your steps and keep you close to us...to your "family"
thank you for everything you done for UT.
now we need 2000 years again for someone like you to born.
VAYA CON DIOS my friend.
rasta-man

Postby frauenarZt » Thu May 08, 2014 5:57 pm

GLHF hope you can remake UT99 because Epic will fails.
frauenarZt

Postby ph34r » Thu May 08, 2014 9:33 pm

(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby TimTim » Thu May 08, 2014 11:33 pm

TimTim

Next

Return to General Discussion