Is UT movement missing anything?

Gaming and Community discourse.

Yes, I'm not satisfied with UT99 movement.
17%
No, I'm satisfied with UT99 movement.
83%

Total votes : 35

Postby kud » Thu May 29, 2014 5:28 pm

Many people here are probably aware of Epic working on a new UT, and if not...surprise. People on the unreal engine forums are discussing what new movement mechanics should be added for various reasons. Examples include wall running, sprinting, sliding, ledge climbing, etc.

I'm curious if people who have been playing the game think anything else is needed, or if the current movement is enough. Obviously the poll is biased since we all play ut99, but whatever. If you think something is missing from the movement, post what you think is missing (even if it's just an abstract concept like "dodging is boring").
Last edited by kud on Thu May 29, 2014 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kud
Walder Frey

Re: Is UT movement missing anything?

Postby kud » Thu May 29, 2014 5:29 pm

just realized the poll options might be confusing, so read them twice.
kud
Walder Frey

Postby Sonic|^ » Thu May 29, 2014 5:31 pm

Wall dodge. That's it.
Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby blackout\\ » Thu May 29, 2014 5:35 pm

No, I'm satisfied with UT99 movement.
blackout\\

Postby csnafk » Thu May 29, 2014 6:26 pm

Yea i didn't read them thoroughly and voted Yes. You worded it terribly kudster :< meant to say UT in-out mouvements are fine
csnafk
Barney Gumble

Postby KillEmAll » Thu May 29, 2014 6:29 pm

Wall dodge maybe.
KillEmAll

Postby kud » Thu May 29, 2014 6:36 pm

kud
Walder Frey

Postby RickJames » Thu May 29, 2014 6:37 pm

Why is this poll here? It's perfect as-is.

Steve Polge himself wants to implement single-key dodging and other horrible ideas. I tried to explain the subtleties of the ut99 movement system to him. For example, how difficult it is to dodge extremely fast and still aim effectively- Players like rummy can dodge almost every other footstep (the fastest possible dodging speed) while flag running. The timing and all these little things are what make the movement so easy to learn and difficult to master. He didn't get it.

This new UT has a 1/1000 chance of being good, just focus on the game we have for now.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby kud » Thu May 29, 2014 6:41 pm

link to single-key dodge plz
kud
Walder Frey

Postby PACO » Thu May 29, 2014 7:00 pm

The movement in UT99 is great. It's simple enough and especially in weaps, there are a lot of ways to get from point A to point B. Bunnytracks is amazingly fun and extremely competitive. There are no problems with the UT movement HOWEVER that doesn't mean that it can't be tweaked and improved.

Wall dodging seems like a cool feature which can make moving around a map more dynamic. I wouldn't mind seeing wall jumps as well since if you can dodge off of a wall, why not jump off of it as well? Other things that could be cool would be stuff like hitting crouch right as you are about to dodge for more of a stutter step dodge than a full dodge. Anything that makes an enemy less predictable would be a good thing IMO.

Right now they are experimenting with things like mantling. I'm not particularly fond of the idea since it doesn't have an Unreal vibe to it and I feel like movement needs to be almost as important as aim. Mantling = training wheels and it practically ruins a BT-type mod which is popular in almost every FPS.. (Quake/CS/SM etc.). I wouldn't mind if they went the opposite direction and added a stick function. Instead of getting a boost up, you can hug the wall for a second or two as you slowly inch downwards but it cools off and then you drop as you normally would. I could see it helping wall dodges become less predictable and add some more jukes.

I'm techtarded but I'm tempted to buy a subscription for UE4 to see how much I can mess around with it. Words are wind and it'd be nice to actually put something together. I don't think that anything drastic needs to be done or that the game needs to be turned upside down but a movement evolution will not necessarily be a bad thing. I'm open to the idea and while I love UT99, people need to get used to the idea of stepping outside of their comfort zones.
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby Morpheus » Thu May 29, 2014 8:02 pm

ut movement requires very little skill lol specially for IG

you can clutch some moments due to your movement but it is not VERY VERY important in UT in my POV. Maybe i'm too used to it.

I agree with PACO on the fact anything that requires more skill is a plus! It definitely needs a tweak, but i hope they make it closer to UT99
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby Hinata » Thu May 29, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes.

UT99 movements aren't bad. They are just simplest.
Once you mastered UT2004, you can just say that UT99 movements miss a lot. UT3 had a good start. Less floaty, include some interesting ut99/ut2k4 moves (especially incredible with boots), but still not enough tbh. More movements, more possibilities.

@R1cKJam3s : Lol, UT99 movements are completely easy to master. Quake movements are difficult to master for example, but certainly not UT99.
Rule 30: Players won't be judged equally for breaking the same rule.
Hinata

Postby Lineage » Thu May 29, 2014 9:46 pm

is that why players like blackmane and rummy are basically jet pack equipped flag runners while most everyone else seems stuck in the mud?

UT3 is still really floaty compared to UT99. UT2k4 is like being on the moon.

dodge-jump is retarded, no thanks

wall dodge, sure i'll take it..as long as the map dimensions don't become too skewed to allow for it.

stutter step dodging? u wot m8?
Lineage

Postby kud » Thu May 29, 2014 10:19 pm

kud
Walder Frey

Postby blade » Fri May 30, 2014 12:07 am

Yes. I want automatic movement. Maybe allow a system like Cerebro that Professor X wears so I can put my direct thoughts into it. I would be unstoppable as my brain waves would have almost 0 latency time so I can dodge shots and have virtually seamless movement. I can sit back relaxing with one eye closed while rocking kids in UT. Now that, broskis, is a dream come true.

There you have it, kud - an abstract concept of what UT is missing.

Just a tip for fellow UT'ers. In my years of playing UT, one of the things I learned is that the less you dodge, the easier it is to aim. Dodging makes it tougher to aim or at least to keep a consistent aim. Try not to over-dodge like I used to for years. Same goes with too much movement - if you're moving all over the place, aiming becomes tougher as you have to take into account and compensate for constantly changing angles. If you're running the flag though, obv this wouldn't matter as you continuously want to move to be a tougher target.

I'm not a fan of wall-dodging - trying to think of benefits.. Sure it might make your movement bit unpredictable, but if you have small hallways like on Scandi or brokenlimits, wall-dodging all of a sudden becomes a potential issue (unless if you can disable it on certain maps)

Also, the dodge-jump that UT2k4 had WAS HORRIBLE! Zero benefit for that except for the extra grunt. With the female voices, the extra grunt sounded hawt but other than that, dodge-jump was pointless. It just made you an easy target with no true benefit that I can see.

Sliding with crouch at the end of a dodge would be annoying as hell to play against lol. Sorry, that has no room in UT - maybe Gears of War or something? :lol:
Image Hope. Inspire. Dream. Live.
blade

Postby kud » Fri May 30, 2014 12:33 am

you had me after the 2nd sentence blah lol
kud
Walder Frey

Postby kud » Fri May 30, 2014 12:35 am

kud
Walder Frey

Postby PACO » Fri May 30, 2014 3:35 am

PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby Riven » Fri May 30, 2014 7:48 am

movement is perfect ... if you dont like it play another game :D
Riven
Olive Oil

Postby Carras » Fri May 30, 2014 12:28 pm

Wall-dodge. short-dodge. kthx
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby Carras » Fri May 30, 2014 12:34 pm

i want an item (like MGS) where I can crouch and place a cardboard box (maybe camo?) over me with a peephole for the rifle :mrgreen:
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby Diff`lx » Fri May 30, 2014 1:11 pm

Diff`lx

Postby DREW-TANg » Fri May 30, 2014 2:28 pm

DREW-TANg

Postby Sonic|^ » Fri May 30, 2014 2:49 pm

Image.........
Sonic|^