GlobalUnreal (a.k.a., NewNet)

Gaming and Community discourse.

Re: UTProMod (a.k.a., NewNet)

Postby Sauron » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:20 pm

Maybe it can me modified so people with packet loss that disappear on everyone else's screen randomly just receive a linear position based on their movement prior to the packet loss - this would make it so everyone else can see them and shoot them no problem instead of having the person go invisible which leads to unfair caps among other things. Packet loss should never be beneficial to have (like it is now).
Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby TimTim » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:10 am

Updated. Latest version as of this post is v0.3n. It isn't on any servers yet as I want to make one more small change.

- Translocator should be fixed; it should no longer (or at least very rarely) get out of sync with the server; telefragging should feel like it does in practice mode; and killing translocators should always work

- Hopefully fixed projectile (rockets, etc.) hit registration once and for all; had to disable a few things in the past few versions to isolate the crashing but they are now re-enabled with slightly different hit registration algorithms

- Changed MaxPktLoss to MaxPktLPS (packets lost per second) to hopefully smooth out the warping of players with < 1% loss

- Added the HUD weapon glow for players that have high detail turned off

- Maybe fixed weapon switching issues once and for all? The remaining issue seems to be a result of the inventory refreshing when picking up a new weapon, which for some reason empties it for a split second, long enough for a weapon switch to fail if attempted during this short time.

- Changed where shock beams explode if a high pinger hits someone going around a corner so it doesn't look like they're shooting through the wall

- Removed odd jumping when spawning

- Spent a few hours trying to fix demos; server demos don't crash the server but of course 1st person view doesn't work right (it's always been like this apparently); and client demos for whatever reason the client's fake (newnet) projectiles/shots won't fire in the right direction, regardless of the fact that demo playback does in fact have the proper view rotation data; after trying everything I could think of to fix either client/server demos, it looks like the best (ironically the easiest) solution is to rewrite most (or maybe even all) of the demo system; Epic did a TERRIBLE job with this; I don't know what they were thinking but the demo system is apparently still really bad in UT3+

- Fixed invisible body blocking when someone is dead but not yet spawned and their corpse now no longer has to go into the floor

- Removed gibs/flying body parts on the server; but now they need to be re-added for specs; and special stuff like heads flying off when headshotted need to be removed from server, but this should be enough right now to test whether or not this fixes the remaining bounced shots
TimTim

Postby ulo » Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:03 am

Great work as always Tim! Specially looking forward to this one:

- Removed odd jumping when spawning

That's gonna change some of the spawn kill running I think!
Image Image Image
ulo

Postby HuMPtY » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:30 am

HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby noobX » Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:17 am

noobX

Postby HuMPtY » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:25 am

hey! he wouldnt of fixed it if i hadnt mentioned it;p
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby noobX » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:49 am

noobX

Postby Aven » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:07 pm

You should code a hook into it as to where you hit a person in the back more than 3 times, it auto suicides you...

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Image Image
Aven
Vargo Hoat

Postby Carras » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:12 pm

guess it's time to try pugging again
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby uenz » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:40 pm

we encountered some weird bugs today on ip1 with the newest newnet.
FlowX and Holder heard every deathsound on the map near our flag on sprinta.
I got shot in places the guy who shot me couldn't have possibly seen me (was on sprinta still high mid and got shot by a defender standing in their base O_o).
Ah and Sauron killed two of us in our base while not being visible on both of our screens.
Haven't heard of those things before so I guess it's got something to do with the new version?
uenz

Postby Sauron » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:42 pm

Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby TimTim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:50 am

TimTim

Postby TimTim » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:15 am

Alright I just updated ip1 with a few changes to address the bugs reported to me today. Let me know if anything else weird happens!

Also, this version won't be used "officially" until after this season is over. It's only on ip1 for testing.
TimTim

wtf? bug or Paco using cheats?

Postby faithless » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:03 pm

im tired of this bullshit, newnet bug or? because is not only one or two times this happens...

faithless

Postby PACO » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Vid is really low quality.. could be a bug but quality is so low that it's tough to tell what is even going on. Says Humpty has a double kill, maybe he shot me first?
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby TimTim » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:12 pm

Yeah I can't tell what's going on at all in that video. Please explain what you think happened and what you think should have happened.
TimTim

Postby TimTim » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Also keep in mind that in newnet what you see in demo playback isn't 100% what you saw when you played. See my comments about demos in my last update in this thread.
TimTim

Postby faithless » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:53 pm

sorry about the quality, but i cant do better than that, unless someone gives me a decent fraps and some tips about movie editing :p
and i noticed after finish the video that i barely cant see my crossair (the small dot)... but i was too lazy to make another one xD

the thing is, i shoot against PACO and he doesnt die, this happens to me sometimes but i never have the patience to make videos about it, but today i decided to do it...

@ TimTim yes but even in game i was sure i at shooted him, believe me was not the demo effect ;x
i still have the demo

ps: in full screen we see better what i mean.. i guess ;x
Last edited by faithless on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
faithless

Postby RickJames » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:57 pm

It looks like faithless is on the red team and shoots a green guy, who doesn't die. Instead the green guy keeps moving forwards like nothing happened.

I wonder what version of newnet faithless was playing on when this happened- I've heard many more complaints of weird shots with the latest version.

Since faithless likely saw it happen in-game and then went back to the demo to find it, I doubt it's a demo playback thing. All of my client-side demos, newnet or not, are fairly accurate in terms of where my xhair is and where the enemy players are. Then again, I have 25 ping, as opposed to faithless's 160. I'm going to start frapsing pugs over xmas break (my PC is powerful enough to play + fraps at the same time at my normal 1680x1050 resolution, but most PCs probably aren't).
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Lineage » Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:59 pm

He smoked PACO in the face and didn't get credit for the kill because it splashed. This was on IP1 earlier today..
Lineage

Postby SJA94 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:11 am

That happens quite a lot if your ping spikes, but you can't really blame newnet if its a connection issue. Newnet is miles better than zp if your ping spikes, zp its, bounced hit, bounced hit, bounced hit, bounced hit, hit..3 weeks later..did you just hit someone..:evil:..shot reg.
In Newnet maybe 1 or 2 hits will not register, not including the hits on lower ping players.
New forum (WIP)
SJA94

Postby HuMPtY » Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:01 am

SENOR_HUEVOSMASH kills him first?:s just a slight delay before he dies ???

hard 2 tell on low qual tho
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby TimTim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:16 am

It could have been that he actually hit a flying/bouncing gib on the server. Try turning gibs back on, play back the demo, and tell me what you see. Or better yet, upload the full demo and I'll take a look at it. The only logical reason for it happening is that the shock beam collided with something else on the server.
TimTim

Postby Lineage » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:45 pm

I know I've shot gibs before when the shot splashes halfway to the person in mid-air.

He facialed PACO and got fucked.

For as often as "shooting gibs" comes up as a reason for a shot splashing you're better off just saying "yeah just like zp occasionally a shot will not connect" instead of some BULLSHIT like we're constantly shooting gibs to get splashes.

edit - This isn't even taking into account the shots like the clip Morpheus posted where he shot straight through Humpty. Combine splashing and shooting through people, and some players are down 20-30 frags a map from what they should be from how often it occurs. Yet these people are ostracized for voicing what they're experiencing, or are assumed to be lying/exaggerating.

Newnet is a great improvement in the way movement feels, and shot registration *at times* is improved. I want to know why it fluctuates so much from server to server, day to day. My guess is that it has something to do with giblets.
Lineage

Postby TimTim » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:54 pm

Someone died right in front of PACO in that corridor a couple of seconds prior to that happening, which is why I suggested a gib may have been right in front of PACO, blocking the shock beam. And how can you call it bullshit if it hasn't even been looked into yet? It's just a (logical) hypothesis based on what I know about demo playback, how newnet's hit registration works, and what I'm able to gather from the video recorded with a potato.

The same goes for the other 2 times I suggested it could be a gib, whenever that was. No one has ever actually looked into it or provided demos like I've asked, multiple times.

It almost seems to me like some people actually want bugs/glitches and that they'd rather whine and complain instead of providing me with reproducible evidence that will help me fix it - perhaps because they know that if they keep the bugs around, they have something to blame other than themselves.
TimTim

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion