Cannot get into my BIOS PROBLEM

Troubleshooting? Tweaking? Configuration?

Cannot get into my BIOS PROBLEM

Postby Deepack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi, I know this might be an unusual problem but I've been trying to boot into my BIOS for almost a week and still no luck. I already know the command which is (f10) when my computer starts up, but before I can even get to choose the BIOS menu there's a startup password which blocks me from accessing it. I did not set that password btw. My pc model is a HP "h8-1120" and I've researched this problem and it says that the computer manufactures set a password in order access the bios on all new modeled pcs (not sure if it's true). There were two solutions people suggested to reset the BIOS password. The first one was opening up the pc tower and locating the battery , then removing it for 20-30 mins then placing it back in. I tried it and didn't work still prompts a password. Second was to call the pc manufacture and tell them the problem which I did and they told me to bring the pc in the store and they will fix it which is a hassle and a waste of money also.

You all might be wondering what does this have to do with gaming? or UT99? but I can tell you this. Download the DPC Latency Checker: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml. Run it for a min then check what your current latency is (mine is ridiculously high ranging from 100-180 lol) A good time would be around 20-30. The lower your overall system latency is the less input lags you'll get while playing fps games. After you record what your average latency time is restart your computer and enter your BIOS menu, disable HPET (High Precision Event Timer). HPET is mostly used to sync video frames better but increases overall system latency. Run the DPC latency checker after disabling the HPET support then watch how much your current latency values have decreased by, you should notice far less input lags in games also. I've got this info from this article if anyone wants more info: http://www.mikemartin.co/system_guides/ ... timer_hpet. For those who have an Asus motherboard there's no HPET option to disable in your BIOS so your out of luck.

If anyone has any suggestions on how I can get into my BIOS please post them. I've tried almost everything but still no luck :(
Deepack

Re: Cannot get into my BIOS PROBLEM

Postby TimTim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:19 pm

There is probably a pin/switch on your motherboard than you can toggle to reset your BIOS. Google your motherboard's model number and find where it is.
TimTim

Postby Sauron » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:30 pm

Sauron
Angus Gump

Postby Deepack » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Deepack

Postby TimTim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:32 pm

Is it possible it has a password by default? Try "admin" or look it up.
TimTim

Postby HULKSMASH » Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:37 am

Maybe this link can help you? Has some default passwords listed.

http://www.wikihow.com/Reset-Your-BIOS
HULKSMASH

Postby TimTim » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:27 am

Try entering your BIOS with the jumper moved or maybe even removed.

There's also this: http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/reference/biosp.htm
TimTim

Postby mrgrins » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:16 pm

when you fail out after putting in passwords, does it give you an error code or a string of numbers? These can be used to extrapolate the password is some instances.
mrgrins

Postby rasta-man » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:25 am

you can try to update your bios or take the file and rewrite the bios ,for sure will be no password

windows 7 64 bits
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/soft ... 56846#N606
rasta-man

Postby Deepack » Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:59 pm

well, thx for the help guys, I did try a few default passwords but after 3 attempts my pc restarts automatically so It really got annoying and I just gave up on the whole task. Rasta-man, I did update my BIOS and didn't work either i don't quite understand what you meant by rewriting the bios file. However, I've found another method to decrease my overall latency down from an average of 125-200s to the 40s - 80s in the DPC Latency Checker. For those who have the same issue with high latency (Input lags) here is a tip that should decrease it substantially . Open your device manager and disable all the unwanted drivers. The only drivers you should have running are your internet, mouse, keyboard, sound, and monitor drivers. I don't recommend disabling any drivers your not sure of because I did accidentally disabled my mouse driver and couldn't move my cursor the whole time then had to boot in system recovery to fix it which was a hassle. Make sure all internet browsers or background applications/programs are fully closed cause those add quite a bit of latency. What I also found helped reduced my latency is the "Timer Resolution" program which changed the "Test interval" of 1000 to 500 in the Latency checker. Run that program and click the "Maximum" button should change the test interval value to 500 instead of 1000 in the DPC Latency Checker. The download link is here: http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Anyways, the drivers underlined in red are the ones I've disabled in the device manager:

Now to check my DPC Latency Values:

Overall, this method reduced my latency by at least 80us. I'm estimating if I can some how disable the HPET Timer in the BIOS then the values would probably go down to 10-15us.
Deepack

Return to UT99 Help Desk