Help

Troubleshooting? Tweaking? Configuration?

Help

Postby akito » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:25 pm

Hey people, I have been playing on d3d9 since I got this laptop and it was playable till today afternoon. I switched to opengl and for the first time had no bugs and the gameplay is so fluid and no screen tearing. In d3d9 (or any d3d) screen tearing always was always getting on my nervers but got used and couldnt play in opengl due to bugs or just bad looking. Now with opengl working properly I being able to turn around without screen tearing is great lol, but my problem is now mouse. It feels different, when direct input is off mouse is totally crap, with input on it is better but thats not the mouse I have been playing the last 6 months, if I stick with d3d9 my mouse is good but tearing its so awfuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuullllllllll, wanna know if its possible to get best out of both? Opengl gameplay and mouse from d3d? Now the tearing gets so much in my eyes I cant go back and play with d3d ffs.. Greetz,thanks..
akito

Re: Help

Postby seriousnoob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Nope, that's the compromise you have to make - screen tearing and input lag, or no input lag but screen tearing. I'm guessing when you switched to OpenGL it had Vsync enabled by default which made it seems really smooth as it limits your framerate to the monitor's refresh. However, this introduces input lag (which is why your mouse feels weird). The only way to solve this problem is to buy a G-Sync monitor, but those cost a lot, I think around $400. So, you will have to make a choice - screen tearing or input lag. With VSync off, I've been able to reduce my screen tearing a little by limiting max FPS to 58FPS, which is 2 below my screen's refresh rate. This seems to help a bit though not fully.
seriousnoob

Postby akito » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:20 pm

Thx for the quick reply, guess will stick to opengl then, will need time to get used to the mouse but the game is so nice. Will be able to aim even less but idc. If thats the only difference then its quite some lagg, it feels a lot different. But is the lagg as that big that its a disadvantage? I almost bought a used 120hz monitor for a good deal few weeks ago, just 50 euro more then for this crap S22c150 I have now but wasnt rly sure if my laptop would support it, will get one only in september when I get a PC.
akito

Postby seriousnoob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:29 pm

I'm not sure, I think if you have Display Port on your laptop it would work fine, as even laptops nowadays can push 120+ FPS in UT. Also, you can try D3D9 with Vsync - for me in general it seems to have less input lag than OpenGL. Go to your UnrealTournament.ini file, switch to D3D9 (I assume you know how to do that) and under D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice, make UseVsync=True, and SwapInterval=-1. If it's already that by default you might as well try it at false and 0.

Oh and I'm not good at this stuff actually, so maybe someone else can tell you how to have no input lag or screen tearing. I doubt it's possible without G-Sync though. (And even those 120hz monitors without the GSync module still have screen tearing/input lag depending on your settings.. just less visible cause of higher Hz)
seriousnoob

Postby KillEmAll » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:47 pm

Try kud's ini http://sja94.net76.net/ut/inis/index.php
Very smooth and balanced.
adjust ur frames for ur monitor
KillEmAll

Postby akito » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:06 am

Tried a lot of things, nothing works perfect. Forcing vsync makes od d3d makes the game run like on opengl, no screen tearing but a lot of input lagg. With swap interwal -1 the game also runs perfect but that gives also a little input lagg. Swap interwal -1 and vsync on at same time is just wow @ input lagg. I managed to lock 60fps without turning vsync on od d3d with msi afterburner. Now its running better, my textures dont tear when i move around, it runs smooth but there is a little fliclering/tearing line which appears when I move, its still annoying but its the best conf I made so far. Guess anybody can try to lock fps like that if he has similar problem, its good because it doesnt brings input lagg with itself.
akito

Postby RickJames » Mon Mar 10, 2014 6:26 am

You should have swapinterval 0, always. Vsync always off.

And you don't have to make any compromise, if you know how to set stuff up properly. There is a lot of misinfo in this thread. I have d3d9, no screen tearing, ut runs great, no input lag.

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=1608 is my ut setup guide.

In general, I think what you're after is this:
d3d9, directinput on or off, whatever you prefer
swapinterval = 0, refreshrate = monitor refresh, frameratelimit = same as refresh rate or slightly higher
ACE highperftoggle on - note that single player (without ACE to correct the cpu timing) will not have your fps capped properly, so judge in a server, not in practice mode.

In vid card driver settings, vsync to "use application setting". Don't use vid card drivers for frame capping or anything else
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Hermione » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:22 am

I used to use d3d9 then i tried sonics ini, with the open gl and i love it, its way smoother for me, and the colors look great. i forgot how good opengl is everyone convinced me to use d3d9 but i guess its all in ones preferences.
NEW!Image
Hermione

Postby ramdrop » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:44 am

I actually prefer D3d9 over OGL, personal preference as I could never get it to work properly on my PC with Win7, but may try it again in the future.
Image Image Image
ramdrop

Postby InfamousRaider » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:18 pm

The community seems pretty evenly split between openGL and d3d; even amongst the top players. I personally prefer openGL. There are equally good players on both sides of this issue so it just goes to show that it doesn't matter that much if you have your UT set up right.
InfamousRaider

Postby akito » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:04 pm

I guess if you have a good gaming monitor both can work good. Issue is when not, vsync causes too much input lagg and all other solutions give screen tearing, some more, some less.
akito

Postby RickJames » Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:13 pm

I gave you your answer m8, you don't need to use vsync to get rid of screen tearing. Like I said, you shouldn't be judging in single player also, because you need ACE with modern pcs to fix the cpu timing
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Return to UT99 Help Desk