jMh's easy clip capturing guide (no help with flags, l2p)

Troubleshooting? Tweaking? Configuration?

jMh's easy clip capturing guide (no help with flags, l2p)

Postby DamagedGoods » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:07 pm

Sup people!

I will be adding/editing this topic with time, but for now, I just wanted to give you all a very easy explanation of how to quickly record and convert a UT clip, making it ready for upload to i.e. youtube. Finalz asked me for my compression settings when I showed him , and added the info that compressed, that file of 47 minutes was only around 1GB in size. I figured I might as well share it with all of you.

Record your footage from your demo. I would personally recommend using Fraps with the setting "force lossless rgb capture" turned on. With that setting turned on you will record lossless video (d'oh), so the quality difference between that and movieunreal will be very minimal, and honestly, if you want to work fast, Fraps will just allow you to be so much more productive than something like movieunreal. There are of course other capturing tools, so find out what works for you and record your footage with that.

I've done quite a bit of research on this subject, and honestly (for me) the easiest and most effective way to convert your clips is by using HandBrake. I recommend using version 0.9.8 instead of the latest 0.9.9, I have encountered serious problems using 0.9.9 (i.e. I had a video file with parts without audio, and 0.9.9 would for some reason bunch the audio together, desynching it pretty badly, instead of leaving those 'gaps' in the audio intact) whereas 0.9.8 worked flawlessly. The best part? It's completely free! Download HERE:

The settings I used for the above clip can be downloaded HERE:

You can import them into your HandBrake via Options -> Import.

Note: that 47 minute recording I linked in the beginning of this post was from Left 4 Dead 2, obviously a much slower paced game than Unreal Tournament. As I said, the filesize was around 1GB for 47 minutes of footage. You will most likely need to turn your quality settings up somewhat because of all the fast-motion footage if you want to get proper quality. This can be easily done via the 'Video' tab, by changing your RF setting to a lower value. Yes, you heard me.

RF 0 applies no compression. It is lossless: it compresses the source without throwing away practically any detail. So obviously the higher the RF value, the more compressed your video will be, lowering the filesize, but reducing the quality. Mess around with it, see what gives you a nice result. Don't go too low though, that (of course) kind of defeats the purpose of compressing your video in the first place.

Note 2: I should add that I personally don't use Constant Quality/RF. I use Average Bitrate, with 2-pass encoding turned on. I use 4000, which is still quite low, but it gives decent results. Decent enough for random clips, anyway. Feel free to go higher though, obviously.

Sharing is caring guys! No one cares about that nice shot or run or whatever it is that you did unless you show us the clip. So upload that shit! You jerking off to it in your mom's basement doesn't do fuck all for the rest of us.
Last edited by DamagedGoods on Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageWhoever reads this owes me $1000 and a blowjob from their mom ImageImage
DamagedGoods
As FUBAR status encroaches

Re: jMh's easy capturing guide

Postby InfamousRaider » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:15 pm

Saw the title and I thought this was going to teach me how to capture flags :(
InfamousRaider

Postby csnafk » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:26 pm

csnafk
Barney Gumble

Re: jMh's easy clip capturing guide (no help with flags, l2p

Postby DamagedGoods » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:35 pm

Okay, better now? Damn you off-topic lamers.
ImageImageWhoever reads this owes me $1000 and a blowjob from their mom ImageImage
DamagedGoods

Postby Sonic|^ » Mon Mar 10, 2014 1:55 pm

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby DamagedGoods » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:41 pm

A bunch of people are getting skullfucked tonight.
DamagedGoods

Postby ramdrop » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:49 am

Image Image Image
ramdrop

Postby blackout\\ » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:51 pm

thanks for the guide, may just do this for easy clips isntead of dealing with Adobe After Effects and the cluster fuck of matrixes and codec set ups
blackout\\

PostThis post was deleted by Solidsnake on Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:54 pm.

Postby Dr.Flay » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:37 pm

I've been testing Open Broadcaster and I'm very happy with the flexibility.
https://obsproject.com
https://obsproject.com/estimator
You can use it like fraps, or stream direct to Youtube or Twitch etc.
http://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/a ... r-software
https://obsproject.com/forum/threads/gu ... tube.4333/

It encodes in either AVC or CBR MP4, so you will need spare CPU, but it will take less space (even as lossless MP4).
On multicore PCs, this is not an issue, as U1 games only use 1 core.
Before recording I usually set OBS (or other capture software) to ignore the core being used by the game.

BTW. When it comes to CoDecs, you only need the 1
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
Using this, you can watch youtube videos with proper surround-sound in Media Player Classic-BE :geek:
Dr.Flay

Postby Riven » Tue Apr 01, 2014 6:05 pm

Riven
Olive Oil

Return to UT99 Help Desk