Demostart command - recording demos

Troubleshooting? Tweaking? Configuration?

Demostart command - recording demos

Postby Monk » Thu May 22, 2014 6:02 pm

demostart

There seems to still be a lot of people unaware of this command. This is a pure command. It starts a demo for you.

It also names your demo for you in this format: $yourname_[$date_$time]_[$redTeamTag_$blueTeamTag]_$mapName.dem

And will therefore be easily sortable in your folder.

For example: [GoC]Random_Monk_[2010_05_12_2100]_[[GoC]_-=[DmK]_CTF-EternalCave.dem

Unlike 'demorec demoname', as it doesn't take any arguments you can simply bind 'demostart' to a key, and spam it as many times as you like, as it does not restart the demo if you are already recording, it just states 'already recording'. Therefore you can easily test whether you are demoing by pressing a binded key.

You can also easily push this after a reconnect even if you use the demo manager auto demo. If the autodemo worked, it'll have no impact and if it didn't it'll start your demo.
Monk
Salty

Re: Demostart command - recording demos

Postby TimTim » Thu May 22, 2014 9:39 pm

I'll add some quick input here. I added a new command to NewNet a while back, which triggers the demostart command as soon as the countdown reaches 0 (or if the map has already started).

In console, "autodemo 1" to enable and "autodemo 0" to disable. This means your demo always starts at the beginning of the map so you don't have to fish through warmup time. It also uses less disk space. And last but not least, it doesn't automatically record demos when you're a spectator.

Just in case, to make sure the demo has started, it should say in chat in white text the demo's filename as soon as it starts recording. If for some odd reason you don't see it, just type demostart to force it.
TimTim

Postby Monk » Fri May 23, 2014 2:37 am

Nice I didn't know about that one.

Getting into the habit of manually starting your demo during the countdown is the safest thing imo (as anybody who has ever played a match on my team will notice me spamming) but having that auto demo as a backup is definitely useful.
Monk
Salty

Postby chamberly » Sat May 24, 2014 9:08 pm

This has been explained in the demo manager's read me. lol! Such repost. ;)
chamberly

Postby Lineage » Tue May 27, 2014 7:57 pm

people actually open the readme? I thought it was like the instruction manual that comes with new shit, you just toss it aside and do a google search if you run into problems :D
Lineage

Postby chamberly » Tue May 27, 2014 10:42 pm

That might be something to see... wonder if a poll was made, see who actually read the readme and set up things properly, OR, see who do not read any readme.txt and just want to play right away? We already got stuff with instructions, but do we have stuff that is ready to play for peoples who don't want to waste their time? Might play a specific role in UT I'm thinking, cause some peoples just don't want to learn to do something... and some just want to get real with the skills to learn. Hmmmmm......
chamberly

Postby Lineage » Tue May 27, 2014 10:50 pm

wow mods you used to have to install manually, in each folder, downloading from different websites and matching versions that played well together..then Curse came along and made a shit ton of money off of people who were too lazy and wanted a one-click method. :D
Lineage

Postby Aces_TheKorruptor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:24 pm

why someone would record an demo in today newnet/demorecords?

Its super bugged, i as i can see, nobody will even try to repair this. So...

Why record buggedDemos? I have a topic here showing the bugs in 2vids!
Aces_TheKorruptor

Postby KillEmAll » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:29 pm

KillEmAll

Postby Aces_TheKorruptor » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:33 pm

So bro, the problem is with me?

Take a look, in one of my last posts, i put 2videos, take a look in the way weapons work in both for who are seeing and how work with the enemyes the weapons. You will see how bizarre it's.

I think its a problem that everyone has, if not timtim would tell me that the problem is only with me!

viewtopic.php?f=41&t=2345
Aces_TheKorruptor

Postby KillEmAll » Tue Jun 24, 2014 3:59 pm

I am not saying anything :)
I may have time tonight when I get home, and will play through a few demos.
Record some demos off the pub server timmypoo mentioned. It is set for one bot, till someone joins.
KillEmAll

Return to UT99 Help Desk