RJ's Easy UT Setup Guide

Learn the ropes. From installing UT to advanced tips and tricks!

RJ's Easy UT Setup Guide

Postby RickJames » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:40 pm

Just general stuff for new UT installers :D

First, use a custom renderer, either D3D9 or OpenGL:
http://www.cwdohnal.com/utglr/

Second, in your ini, these lines are most important:
[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice
OR IF USING D3D9 IT SHOULD BE
GameRenderDevice=D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice

[Engine.GameEngine]
CacheSizeMegs=4 OR GREATER (Doesn't make a difference for me as long as it's at least 4)

[OpenGLDrv.OpenGLRenderDevice] OR [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice] (whichever you're using)
UseAA=False THIS CAN CAUSE FRAMEDROPS ON SOME PCS IF TRUE, BUT YOU CAN SET IT TRUE FOR SMOOTHER EDGES IF YOU DONT GET DROPS
FrameRateLimit=125 SET THIS TO YOUR MONITOR REFRESHRATE OR GREATER (some people do +5, +10, or even double the refresh, it's preference)
SwapInterval=0 MOST IMPORTANT SETTING- PUT IT TO 0. IF YOUR FORCE VSYNC OFF IN YOUR VID CARD DRIVERS, THIS SETTING DOESNT REALLY MATTER THOUGH
RefreshRate=120 SET THIS TO YOUR REFRESHRATE OR TRY SETTING IT TO 0 (most people set it to match refresh exactly).

Input settings in UT:
DirectInput is optional, try it on and off. Sensitivity/instant rocket fire are pure preference ofc. Most important here is that mousesmoothing, autoslope, etc are turned off, unless you're serenity or someone into unusual mouse configs with accel etc.

ACE settings (found towards the bottom of user.ini):
[ACEv08h_C.ACENative] (or w/e version)
TimingMode=0
SleepMode=0
CheckPriority=0
bNonStrictCapping=False - Never found a reason to put this true, but some do. Leave it false unless you're having issues on only ACE servs and already have highperf set true.
bDisableSoundFix=False
bForceHighPerf=True - This is the main one that matters. Everyone with a processor made in the last few years should set this to true, and most other people should too.
DemoStatusMode=4
DemoStatusXOffset=0
DemoStatusYOffset=0

Power settings:

UnrealTournament.exe:

AVOID USING A DUAL CORE FIX. IT CAUSES FRAMEDROPS. Also, avoid using compatibility mode, cpuspeed tweaks, or other unrealtournament.exe changes in general. Laptop users may be exceptions, but I have UT running 100% perfectly on both my new, superpowered desktop and my old laptop with the original, unmodified unrealtournament.exe.

Some of chicken's UT versions came with a dualcore fix unrealtournament.exe by default, so replace it if you have that one.

Best way to resolve issues with UT speeding up/slowing down is usually by checking other settings first- power, speedstep, renderer, etc. All of that stuff is in this guide :D

Original ut.exe download: http://www.filedropper.com/unrealtournament

Intel EIST aka Intel speedstep:
Sometimes issues with how UT runs can be resolved by turning this off. Instructions for disabling it in BIOS vary depending on your motherboard, so google it. It came disabled by default with my mobo, but there's probably no reason to mess with it if you aren't having issues.

Mouse drivers:

I don't use them myself, but it's kinda preference. I've always found that they create more mouse/UT problems than they solve, so unless you need them for a certain dpi, polling rate, etc, I wouldn't keep them installed.

Nvidia driver settings (optional):

Only one of those that really made a difference for me was putting max pre-rendered frames to 1, but you can experiment here.

Turning off UAC - Optional, but useful if you run into win7 permission issues with ut files and stuff:
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Re: RJ's Easy UT Setup Guide

Postby TimTim » Sun Jan 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Nice RJ!!! This should help out a lot of people. I'll sticky it and point them to this thread any time they ask about UT smoothness.
TimTim

Postby LoD » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:00 pm

very nice, thx!
LoD

Postby Deepack » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:04 pm

Is UT better off running as Windows XP SP3 in compatibility mode if your on windows 7?
Deepack

Postby Hook » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:28 pm

My UT runs better than ever (great) on Win7 right out of the box - No tweaks or adjustments at all. ;)
But, Thank you for the "RJ's Easy UT Setup Guide" - I may try some of them. :P

Another Great UT Guide that has been used by 100's or even 1000's of UT players and Server admins for the past 15 years or so, is Hermskii's Guide...
Hermskii's UT Player / Server Manual (Google it)
His Guide also guides you step by step (with all the links too) to do the base install process to build a UT game server.
Simply one of the oldest and best guides to date on the web! ;)
Last edited by Hook on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
=Hook= Forum -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net SERVER NAME: CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER / PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer / PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
Hook

Postby uenz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 1:52 pm

win 7 is the devil for ut
uenz

Postby Hermione » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:02 pm

dont go to any weird sites to download ut, all you have to go to is: www.letsplayut.com
its the best site to get the game with the required things to run it, instead of those other clumsy sites
NEW!Image
Hermione

Postby xHikaru! » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:14 pm

xHikaru!

Postby Deepack » Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:58 pm

Deepack

Postby uenz » Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:16 pm

use dual boot with standard xp and win 7 for full core support and 64bit
mouse feeling is much better with xp imo with xp accelfix - but it's all personal preference I guess
uenz

Postby bug » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:41 am

bug

Postby Hook » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:09 am

=Hook= Forum -> http://hooksutplace.freeforums.net SERVER NAME: CROSSBONES Missile Madness {CMM} PRO-REDEEMER / PRO-SNIPER-Redeemer / PRO-SEEKER-Redeemer IP: 68.232.181.236:7777
Hook

Return to Getting Started