NW.CTF Survival Guide [Beta]

Learn the ropes. From installing UT to advanced tips and tricks!

NW.CTF Survival Guide [Beta]

Postby m3ss » Wed May 08, 2013 10:41 pm

Welcome to the NW.CTF Survival Guide! This guide, which will be constantly updated and expanded, is here to help introduce players to the normal weapons capture the flag gametype and community. Abandon all hope ye who enter here and pay close attention so you aren't sent screaming from a PUG with your tail between your legs. I will cover a wide range of topics in an effort to consolidate and spread the wealth of player knowledge that exists in the community. Feel free to contribute, critique, or just talk shit. It is Unreal Tournament after all. Let's Rock!

Now that you have more than just one weapon, you'll want to have keybinds for every single one of them. Some people may disagree with this statement, but fuck them. No, but seriously, at a minimum you should have your translocator and some of your best weapons bound. Choose keys that are immediately adjacent to your movement keys so you can switch weapons quickly. If you're using the arrow keys or some other God awful setup...well, you might be shit out of luck unless your mouse has an assload of buttons. Situational weapon-switching is a crucial skill to develop, and it is the swift and the accurate who win the day and talk the shit.

To give you an idea, here is a screenshot of my keyboard (WASD movement) and my weapon keybinds. Yeah, it's a blurry cellphone image. Big whoop! Wanna fight about it?

As I said before, all of my weapon binds are immediately adjacent to my movement keys for easy access. Shock/Rox are my two favorite weapons so they get Q/E. You'll want to find a setup that's comfortable for you and your playstyle, but again, at a minimum you need a translocator bind. In the next section, I'll talk about having multiple weapons bound to a single key or "Piped Weapon Binds".

Realistically, piped weapon binds are more efficient that normal binds as they allow you to bind multiple weapons to a single key and thus keep your finger movements to a minimum. I'm too lazy to switch to be honest. It's up to you to find your own comfort level with your setup changes, as it WILL take time.

To make a piped weapon bind, separate each weapon in your bind with a | as shown below. (The following binds were shamelessly stolen from Sonic. Where's Vegas bro?)

set input E switchweapon 7 | switchweapon 4 (shock/mini)
set input Q switchweapon 5 | switchweapon 9 (rockets/pulse)
set input tab switchweapon 6 | switchweapon 3 (biorifle/ripper)

You can pipe bind as many weapons as you want to one key, but I'd recommend keeping it at two. Any more than two and it's faster to have them bound to another key. Law of diminishing returns and all that shit. Up next is an extremely important bind, so check your ADD and take your Ritalin before proceeding.

A throw weapon bind is essential. I repeat. A throw weapon bind is absolutely ESSENTIAL! Ammo is hard to come by, especially when almost everyone's an asshole. "Oh hey! I'm nearly full, but let me take both ammo packs even though I clearly see you waiting for them!" FUCK! Sorry about that. Anyways, you'll want to have this bind easily accessible. I have mine bound to my number 2 key, but I know some people bind it to one of their mouse buttons. Pick something comfortable, you'll be doing this a lot, chief.

Throwing your empty weapon allows you to pick up a fresh weapon at the weapon spawn (which never disappears due to weapon stay being on) to avoid waiting on ammo packs.This tactic is easy to learn, but difficult to master, as it is all in the timing and movement. Starting out you will likely want to toss the weapon with a little ammo left. However, once you become comfortable with the process, you will want to master tossing your weapon as it reaches zero ammo. Below is a video demonstrating this process so you can get an idea of the timing.

Also, a word on etiquette. Do NOT throw an empty or nearly empty weapon near the spawn for that weapon. You don't want one of your teammates accidentally picking up your dud and berating the ever living shit out of you for it. Trust me on this one.

With the proliferation and improvement of voice communication software, these binds are a lot less essential than they used to be. However, I still have at least one that I use frequently.

1=Teamsay [%p] with [%h] [%a]

This bind provides your teammates with your current position, health and armor amounts. The position is based on map zones and its usefulness depends on the map really, but the health and armor amounts are helpful for flag carriers. It's easy to convey to your teammates that you are stacked and ready for a flag run by spamming this bind, or even let them know you're running low on health if you have the flag.

%p = Position
%h = Health
%a = Armor

Powerup pickup binds are also useful, especially if you have teammates who are actively timing. Although again, these binds are no substitute for proper TeamSpeak communication.

3=Teamsay ***SHIELDBELT TAKEN!***NEXT BELT IN 55 SECONDS!***
4=Teamsay ***ARMOR TAKEN!***NEXT ARMOR IN 27.5 SECONDS!***
5=Teamsay ***AMP TAKEN!***NEXT AMP IN 110 SECONDS!***

There are a few other useful binds that you might want to have available, which I've listed and described below.

F8=Suicide

Most people already have Suicide binds regardless of the gametype, but I'll mention it here anyways. A suicide bind is extremely helpful for getting back into position, especially during flag standoffs when you return the flag.

9=mutate deluxechat whisperwindow

Deluxe Chat is a mod that allows sending private messages, or whispers, to other players in the server, including spectators. This bind brings up the Whisper Window interface.

0=mutate chatblocker showwinder

Another feature of Deluxe Chat is Chat Blocker. If you find yourself getting overly trolled in the server, or just get tired of that certain someone's stupid fucking bind, use this bind to bring up the chat blocker window and select the check box next to the person you want to block. Vuala! No more douchebag!

That concludes the Essential Binds section of the Survival Guide, but feel free to chime in with any additional binds that you find useful. These are just the ones I use regularly. In the next section, I'll get to the good shit...the weapons. Bring your notebooks.

Coming Soon...
Last edited by m3ss on Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:48 am, edited 4 times in total.
| |
m3ss

Re: MLUT Survival Guide [Beta]

Postby Sezco24 » Thu May 09, 2013 12:47 am

Good shit m3ssiah.
Sezco24

Postby RickJames » Thu May 09, 2013 6:34 am

Very nice m3ss, glad to see you making these kinds of high quality posts here! Hoping to see activity in nwTDM and nwCTF increasing in the same way that instagib has in recent times. :D
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby HuMPtY » Thu May 09, 2013 7:08 am

HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby InfamousRaider » Thu May 09, 2013 7:39 am

Great post so far, can't wait for the rest. I have one comment on throw weapon, I a problem of constantly picking up the weapon I just threw so I decided to change my throw weapon bind to include move backwards. It looks like this:
Tab=MoveBackward | ThrowWeapon
InfamousRaider

Postby TimTim » Thu May 09, 2013 7:45 am

TimTim

Postby m3ss » Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 am

Thanks for the responses guys!

HuMPtY - Great tip! I will be covering powerup timing in depth in a later section. Compensating for potential ts3 lag is a good point to include though. Thanks!

IR - I have that problem quite frequently as well. I mentioned it in the video, but I should probably add it to the text summary too just in case people skip over the video.

Tim - Nice! I did not know that. I will be sure to include a Newnet only section in this guide which points out the major differences between reg and newnet, but I think most of the information I plan on including will apply to both.

I'm glad to see a positive initial response. Hopefully some people will find this guide useful and encourage more players to give weapons a shot! :mrgreen:
| |
m3ss

Postby Bizmonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks, m3ss! I actually never new about piping weapons (thanks Sonic). I'll give that a whirl. I haven't been able to get comfy with my new binds since I couldn't find my old .ini from the mid 2000s.

Everyone should try to pug in #MLUT or #upug. There are good pugs in both. Now that the iCTF season is pretty much over, I hope everyone gives it a try.
Bizmonkey

Postby ph34r » Thu May 09, 2013 11:31 am

piped binds are for newbs, so is wasd. CARRY ON
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby m3ss » Thu May 09, 2013 11:35 am

I have it on good authority that ph34r uses the Powerglove.

| |
m3ss

Postby HuMPtY » Thu May 09, 2013 11:40 am

Used scrollwheel since 99 yo :roll:
Have trans set to mid mouse which is the only weaps bind i use mostly :<
rockets=Q Shock=R now though, but im so used to scroll i hardly use em
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby ph34r » Thu May 09, 2013 11:41 am

EVERYTHING ELSE IS CHILD'S PLAY. - that's got new bind written all over it
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby Sonic|^ » Thu May 09, 2013 12:48 pm

Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby Finalz » Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

played a few weaps pugs, went pretty okayish for me.
Finalz

Postby Diff`lx » Thu May 09, 2013 9:05 pm

Diff`lx

Postby kud » Wed May 15, 2013 11:59 pm

this headliner thread deserves to be stickied in the upug forum. will just get buried here
kud
Walder Frey

Return to Getting Started