Powerup Mutator

4v4 Shock Domination

Powerup Mutator

Postby uenz » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:18 pm

I'm watching the sDOM stream right now and was wondering if it was possible to track powerup pickups via console or something. That would make it easy to make a powerup mutator for spectators like in quake live where spectators can see the pickup respawn time and stuff.
Would be a nice addition to the already awesome splitscreen setup by MrGrins imo :D
uenz

Re: Powerup Mutator

Postby Rum » Mon Aug 05, 2013 1:30 pm

I think that there's a class to call from the console in where you can view the amp and certain powerups. You could probably ask grins or nob about since i think grins are familiar. People grabbing the stuff and tracking them in the game is a different story. But from powerup view its a lot easier
Rum

Postby PACO » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:56 pm

That's different Rummy and uenz, I already inquired about something like this. It would vastly improve spectatability. A spectator HUD that counts down when the PUPS will come up so that the caster can easily follow along and catch the battles over them.
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby kE » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:10 pm

I'd really like it for spectating games, made the few games of quakecon i watched much more enjoyable.

It does sound exploitable as in non-playing people calling out power-up times based on stream :geek: Delay stream with few minutes while we're at it?
kE

Postby m3ss » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:41 pm

UTV had this feature built-in actually, but I would be hesitant to try and use it today as I guarantee some enterprising douchebags in this community would figure out the stream delay time and account for it. When you literally have a powerup countdown clock shown on the stream, it's begging for someone to try and utilize it to their advantage. I just don't think the effort and risk is worth the reward. It wouldn't make the stream THAT much better for the potential issues it causes. Besides, pro-streamers can time and cast at the same time. 8-)
| |
m3ss

Postby mrgrins » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:35 am

I actually am going to disagree with m3ss here. :O . A power up timer for the HUD would add a lot for the stream in my opinion. Less so for SDOM but for CTF and 1v1 games it adds more idea to whats happening on the map. I find that twitch shooters like UT / COD / Quake are harder to watch for a viewer unfamiler with the gametype/maps have no idea whats happening in the bigger picture of a game. Games like Starcraft/dota/LoL are easier to watch because of the present mini maps.

So to expand viewership and ease of stream watching I would vote to include a powerup timer.

Teams will likely try and abuse the fact that there is a timer on screen but this is possible already. Plus we could randomize the delay time and not say what it is on stream. Kinda like how we hide the server pass...........PACO.

<3 M3SS

P.S. speaking of making it easier for the viewer to tell whats happening. Especially newer viewers. Does anyone know if its possible to screenshot a top view layout of a map in UED? an example of what i'm thinking of would be what they use on counter strike streams. they show a map top view picture with the bombs labeled and little people running in it. I know we could not get the people moving live but if there is a view of the entire map we could label powerup positions and dom points and explain on cast before a map starts to help people get an idea of what they are looking at. does this make sense to anyone what i'm asking for?
mrgrins

Postby Sonic|^ » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:14 pm

Would be neat to have the timers on the stream. I doubt you can get much of an advantage by abusing it. Any player with half a brain can time.

Grin's idea of having a random delay on the stream and not telling anyone can still be abused (Easy to calculate. Just ask a teammate to say "taken" then start a timer until it is taken on the stream.) It's better than nothing though.

Bird's-eye view of the map should be more than doable. Just a static screenshot though.
Image.........
Sonic|^

Postby khxmz » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:55 pm

khxmz

Postby kud » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:58 pm

kud
Walder Frey

Postby TimTim » Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:33 pm

TimTim

Postby mrgrins » Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:24 am

I agree a video would be 100x better then a picture, but that is not going to be realistically usable on stream in the way matches happen right now.
For example, Matches have a tentative start time. I can't control when a match begins. If i play a video and the match starts a few seconds later i am forced with the decision to either a, miss the beginning of the match or b, cut the vid short. Videos work in a rigorously scheduled environment such as quakecon and other lans. Also an advantage of a picture would be that I could bring it up quickly on stream to point something out and then make it go away.

Right now casting is reactionary to what happens. I am just a spectator and if i'm not watching whats happening i'm going to miss something.
mrgrins

Return to Global.sDOM I