Clan system

Clan cups/leagues between draft leagues?

Yes
68%
No
32%

Total votes : 22

Clan system

Postby zein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:12 am

Hi people,
Im ok with leagues, i love the draft system but when i look at the big picture, i see a pitch black future for this game. Every season less and less people signup, thats coz players signup expecting to play and then nobody picks them up, some of those players wont sign up ever again. So atm we are losing a % of players every league. ITS A FACT.
Implementing a clan system league/cup will allow everyone (unlike draft leagues) to have a clan and play, with different divisions according to the clan avg skill (ofc).
This is fun too, people will play with friends unlike leagues were sometimes u have to play with retards in your team.
Im not saying to remove the actual draft system, but as a complement between draft leagues would be nice.
zein

Re: Clan system

Postby rain » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:21 am

I couldn't disagree with your post more. Signups have INCREASED every season by the amount of players and the amount of teams. So your FACT is incorrect :roll: What is a pitch black picture is the ClanBase euro scene as it was dwindled to nothing over the past few years while the "North American" draft system has proven to be a better system as it is still going strong.

While I don't mind a clan system, I think that it is the reason that killed ClanBase and the European leagues. People whore up to play on the same teams and soon enough it's no fun when it's consistently the same teams that win everything because they are completely stacked. Clans drop out because they don't see a point of doing it and then it's just a ripple effect. With a draft based league, we have different teams that are evenly skilled every season. It's always a change and it's a great way to learn and meet new players.

On a side note, I don't think a clan based league would work well for the above reasons BUT I am however thinking about introducing a clan based ladder in the future. Of course it would have specific restrictions that would allow it to be more successful than ClanBase.
Image Global.iCTF I - Champions (·shøckWave·)
rain

Postby Nitro » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:28 am

Nitro

Postby rain » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:30 am

Two leagues would not work, which is where I see a clan based ladder system working well.
rain

Postby zein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:32 am

zein

Postby HuMPtY » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:39 am

There isn't enough people to have a clan system again. Works in other games due to a much higher volume of players

Wouldnt be competitive
Not enough people
No working website
good ol' server negotiations
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby rain » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:41 am

Because a European player has never seen or tried the draft system should be no excuse for them to actually try out the league, that's a stupid argument to begin with. I don't see what isn't attractive about a well run league that has dedicated admins, streamed games, active reports, active pugs and an active player base. You can statistically prove that #iPug and GU has way more pugs than any other UT pug that exists today (even though those players at P*STAR would like to argue that). I'm not entirely sure why these European players won't even try come over, but if it's because there is no "clan league system" that sound completely stupid to me.

I could go into a million reasons why money prizes are a terrible idea. For starters, it will definitely increase the amount of players cheating, especially when there isn't exactly a proper anti-cheat for the game. People think games are lame now, wait until there is money involved. You can expect 3d/4d to be start-off positions and then this game will definitely die.
rain

Postby zein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:51 am

zein

Postby MP/5 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:58 am

MP/5
MP3

Postby zein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:02 pm

zein

Postby rain » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:08 pm

If you don't like sniper, you didn't have to sign up. I figured this thread had something to do with the sniper wawa that you people have been doing. Fact is, is that the sniper season has been very successful for it's first season (minus the handful of players that seem to be butthurt over it). Secondly, it's a 5 week season - that's extremely short.

All reasons expressed are exactly the reason why a clan system wouldn't work. If players are active and pugging, they will get a team - especially if we have more captains and teams. People need to suck up their pride and just captain up, it's not a difficult thing.
rain

Postby zein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:14 pm

zein

Postby MP/5 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:18 pm

you know zein, sometimes people reply not just to please you ;)
i actually read everything that you wrote and also all the other comments and decided to give my P.O.V.
i feel that the focus will shift and the excitement level will go down if your idea goes through (not to mention the admins extra work of running the clan leagues and the draft leagues at the same time) and therefore i voted against it.
MP/5
MP3

Postby zein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:21 pm

zein

Postby spydee » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:38 pm

i could see having a league work where the players signup as part of a team, but it wouldnt work for any extended period of time and there may have to be some restrictions. like make it a 3v3 league, or mCTF, JB or something where the outcome is less predictable. same old always is going to get boring but the draft system is definitely better than the clan system in the current state of this game...clan glory days aren't gonna come back with this size playerbase. people should just embrace leagues like sniper leagues and the other tournies which mix it up

p.s. i can see a "clan league" helping bring in new talent from other games but i don't think we're there yet so kind of a moot point
Last edited by spydee on Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spydee

Postby MP/5 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:40 pm

lol there is almost always a tournament running, not only when ICTF is played, so unless you are planning a clan league of 2-3 weeks between seasons your point is not valid.
PS please give up, your ID is dumb 8-)
MP/5
MP3

Postby HULKSMASH » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:04 pm

First of all zein, thank you for your suggestion, even if it was not received with much enthusiasm. I like the idea of having something running in between leagues, and in this case a ladder system is not a bad suggestion - however personally I'm not sure how well this would be implemented in a small community. It's hard to stop the top guys from grouping together and raping the shit out of middle players. But perhaps with a few restrictions and future website improvements this would be an option.

Personally I'd like to see more smaller tournaments in off seasons (e.g. A 3v3 mini cup for 1 or 2 Sundays). So far there have been great ideas, but I would like to see more input from the community in terms of what they want and hopefully also someone with the ideas, right attitude and cojones to run it. As a lot of time and effort goes into organising leagues and tournaments, admins need some breathing time in between seasons. In an ideal world there would always be something different to do - in addition to the daily pugs - but I'm afraid you can't expect admins to give up every single weekend of their lives to entertain the playerbase (and get whined and flamed at for it as a form of thanks).

So, for anybody reading this that would actually like to contribute a tournament to the community by means of running their own cup/tournament on GU, (ctrl+f "woo")
HULKSMASH

Postby zein » Sat Feb 15, 2014 1:44 pm

zein

Postby chamberly » Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:23 pm

chamberly

Postby kud » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:34 pm

don't have the time to read the entire thread atm, but there are creative alternatives to a straight up draft league or straight up clans of 5+ players. imo the kind of match-making that ut ideally needs would require combinations of 2-3 player teams, and the technological infrastructure to enable that. scheduling, ranking (teams, players), servers, even content rating to promote content creators. there is so much that could be done, because the current system is like the manual phone switchboards from the early 1900s.

in any case, I see rajve streaming "esl 5v5 ictf cup" on twitch right now, so the clan thing is happening whether it is on gu or elsewhere. which is good
kud
Walder Frey

Postby TimTim » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:46 pm

TimTim

Postby faithless » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:08 am

faithless

Postby rain » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 pm

rain

Postby dR3 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:09 pm

dR3

Postby faithless » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:04 pm

faithless

Next

Return to Leagues / Tournaments