If you're planning on entering the competition...

If you're planning on entering the competition...

Postby TimTim » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:49 am

Post here! Tell us:
- A bit about yourself
- Your mapping history
- How many maps you think you'll submit
- What you expect your maps will bring to the tournament
- Anything else you can think of!

:D 8-)
TimTim

Re: If you're planning on entering the competition...

Postby HumaK » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:52 am

Hello,

My name's Bjørn, I'm 24 year old guy from Denmark.

I started mapping back in 2004. In the beginning I only made BT maps but I have made maps for Spam and nwCTF as well. My most known map is probably CTF-Azcanize. The other maps are not really worth mentioning I guess.

I hope I can submit two maps but depends how they turn out. If one turns out much better than the other I might just focus on that one.

This is the first time I make a map specifically for the instagib scene so I'm not really sure about layouts and stuff but I'm getting a little help. I hope I can make the most popular map in the instagib scene, that would be prize and honour enough in itself I guess... but the money is a nice idea :)

I would just like to say that if anyone out there wants to learn how to map I'd be more than happy to teach you. What you need is interest, time, creativity but most importantly patience. I have set up a twitch account so I can live stream while I map, I don't know if that will make teaching easier, I have yet to find out!
HumaK

Postby GEx » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:58 am

I'm Gintautas, a 17 year old lithuanian. I'm still a n00b at mapping but I hope to make a better map than my 1st and only one (DM-XC-NaliTreeV2) I made. I'm a slow one too, so I'd be lucky to finish it too :D. Like HumaK, I'm not really sure on how the layout should be made, so any help is appreciated.
My work for UT99: , DM-XC-NaliTreeV2 ()
GEx

Postby PACO » Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:38 pm

PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Postby HULKSMASH » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:10 pm

The stream idea is amazing! I for one would love to see you do it on stream also because I never got further than making a textured room with the tutorials xD
HULKSMASH

Postby HumaK » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:09 pm

Would you guys just look at how I map? I thought communicating at the same time would be preferred but I'm not sure how that works in the live streaming. The reason for the communication is because I use my keyboard for certain texture/brush selections that might be hard for an unexperienced (or a newbie) mapper to see what is actually happening. Also the speed of my mapping might be hard to follow if you don't know how to map at all.

I'm just testing it and twitch has like 10 seconds delay which would make the communicating rather annoying. My clanmate just suggested Teamviewer, I've never tried it but it sounds like a better solution if people are willing to download the program :)
HumaK

Postby kud » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:34 pm

the delay isn't a big problem. people will either type in twitch chat, or you can talk real time on ts. twitch should pick up whatever's said on ts
Last edited by kud on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
kud
Walder Frey

Postby vitz^ » Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:27 pm

yeah, id defo watch it. when is it gonna happen?
vitz^

Postby TimTim » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:56 am

TimTim

Postby HumaK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:40 am

Even though PACO said it lags I tried Teamviewer and the viewer said it worked no problem. Don't know if it will lag with more viewers though, my upload isn't all that great unfortunately. Another thing is that with Teamviewer the stream isn't stored as a video I think but I'd prefer to use it anyway. The way Xsplit/OBS works makes it unable to stream the subwindows of unrealed unless I share all layers which kinda sucks, so Teamviewer would be preferred from my point of view.

Well, I can just post a link to twitch/Meeting ID for Teamviewer in iPug or something whenever I map?
HumaK

Postby vitz^ » Sat Dec 21, 2013 10:16 am

vitz^

Postby HumaK » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:13 pm

I just streamed on Teamviewer with vitz and it worked great. Only a little lag when I moved around quickly in the 3D viewport. Getting feeback instantly makes it much easier to adjust things and make the best map possible (for the competition).

Making video tutorials might work better on twitch as you have the vod option but for now I want to stick with Teamviewer as the competition is ongoing. Of course I still don't know if more viewers at the same time will make it laggy but hopefully it won't!
HumaK

Postby 'ZaccyBoy » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:15 am

'ZaccyBoy

Postby TimTim » Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:49 am

TimTim

Postby Einheit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:05 pm

I'm Erik Schneidereit from Germany. 17 years old and playing as "Einheit_607" (Einheit (ger.) = unit). I never liked instagib or duku, sorry for that, but i'm playing rocket arena face most time.
I statred mapping about 3 years ago, when I started playing UT too, but never made anything, being worth to mention.
So I know how to work with the UED 2.0, but have no experience in making league CTF maps.
Einheit

Postby seriousnoob » Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:39 pm

-Hi, I'm Zahar and I'm 16 (almost 17.. surprised there's so many young people here). I'm a NWDM/TDM player and don't like CTF/insta much, but I'll try my best with this map.
-I have never mapped in UT before, most I've done is screw around by adding lots of items to maps/making BSP holes :D
-I'll most likely submit 1 map, though it depends on how quickly I learn UEd and if I have any decent ideas for further maps. I imagine I'll probably scrap things quite a few times along the way as well, which will consume time.
-I expect to bring some fast paced action in a medium-small map, hopefully big enough for 5v5. It's hard to judge scale in UEd.
seriousnoob

Postby Sakura » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:13 pm

Sakura

Postby Sonic|^ » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:59 am

Image.........
Sonic|^

PostThis post was deleted by kud on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:23 pm.
Reason: soon

Postby HumaK » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:34 am

HumaK

Postby Swiftshades » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:43 pm

I'm new here and I saw this contest so I thought i'd give it a shot. I started mapping 6 years ago. Personally I like assault maps so that's what I like to map, but I also made other DM's and CTF's.

I am hoping to enter 2 maps. 1 of the maps is already playable but i'm going to re-texture it first because it has way too many custom textures. I just started the second map yesterday, hopefully I can finish it in time. I always prioritize game play over map detail, I make sure my maps are really spacey and so they are easy to get around. I hope you guys will like my maps, this will be the first time I uploaded any.
Last edited by Swiftshades on Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Swiftshades

Postby TimTim » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:23 pm

Thanks for joining us Swiftshades! Let's see what you can do. 8-)
TimTim

Return to Mapping Competition