Re: Global.All Stars I Results

Postby Morpheus » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:03 pm

Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby unrealshots » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:31 pm

noobs :)
Image Image ·GU I PBR Quarter Finalist· ·GU II roflnation Winner· ·GU III \\cG Semi Finalist· ·GU IV \\'. Finalist· ·GU V iB. Winner·
unrealshots
Batman

Postby Junkyardboy » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:48 am

Let's use 120 ping euro vs 20 ping NA as an example:

When a Euro 120 ping lands a shot, it still takes 120milliseconds before the shot is registered, where as the NA's shots are registering within 20 milliseconds.
This seems like a 100millisecond advantage for the NA's, however with NEWNET:
-the 100millisecond difference becomes the additional timeframe that a euro will see the NA player making up the difference in ping....sounds confusing? most likely because 100milliseconds is hard to really comphrehend.

On an extreme end of the scale:

Let's pretend EURO 1020 ping, NA 20 ping. 1000 ping difference aka 1 second shot delay for the EURO. Newnet balances it out more by giving the EURO a 1 second advantage of always seeing an NA player's movements before their's.

In reality, you usually only see a 50-60ping vs. 120-130 ping. which on average is about an 70ms difference...I think high ping players need to always remember, that they can see the lower ping players faster on their screen than they can...HIGH ping players will always complain about dieing after their shots on their screen connecte but end up dieing to a lower ping player and I think they forget that they had the advantage going in to it.

I guess another way to think of it is like a 100m race. EURO's get a 70ms headstart to offset the ping difference on the 100m race, but if the NA player still manages to beat you at the end of the race, it's not because you had higher ping, it's because you didn't react quick enough and take full advantage of your headstart.

having said all that, I do believe the results would be different if we played on a UK server vs. the euro's as I personally believe there are more benefits to having the stronger connection vs. having the head start on the other players.

That is my understanding of how newnet works in a nutshell 8-)

[edit]: EUROS=USAIN BOLT, NA=CHEETAH start watching around 1:25 and notice they both finish the race at the exact same time :D

[edit2]: I deserve a fucking all-star MVP vote for my amazing explanation on NEWNET...someone plz vote for me (p.s. voted rain for 1337ness, runner up goes to mr. shots) :(
Junkyardboy

Postby spydee » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:18 pm

the moral of the story is: peeking is good. not peeking is a disadvantage and will lead to WTF NEWNET SUCKS comments
spydee

Previous

Return to Global.All Stars I