KING OF THE RING I - RESULTS

Next Tournament: To be Announced

KING OF THE RING I - RESULTS

Postby PACO » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:56 am

Greetings and salutations,

Before I get into any of the tournament details, I would personally like to thank: n0b, FALLACY, kud, Anni, Larmor, Ricky Boy, Bryan, SW, Sponge, E|ite, Magma, kng, nate, torch, Joschde, Sakura, faithless, kyaxiz, Dem, Reb, Dewsick, Crunk, snky, Lore, Omeganova, Imperium, VeC, Paulie-want-a-cracker, tylerofl, toymac, Hoompty, IR, Ingela, Tigerclaw, detox, lineage, Kappa, p3z and KillEmAll. Without all of you, this tournament was not possible. I would also like to apologize to Eloy who I messed up with on the administrative end and Pepin who even though he wasn’t around at match-time, was really excited to play. Last but not least, apologies to BiGbOsS for ruining his IG experience the night before.

The matches started at 3:50pm EST and the tournament finished around 7pm EST. 15 074 frags later Dewsick emerged as the victor in spectacular fashion by winning Deck16 with a 26 frag cushion.

At around 2pm Eastern I was panicking because 50+ people signed up but less than 10 people were actually online. Rootsoft texted me saying that he was at Times Square and word on the street is that Rummy choked on an ice cube. Luckily I saw this coming from a mile away. What I didn’t see coming was snky showing up and sticking it out through the whole tournament. A wise man once said that snky, “is about as reliable as 10 year old condom.” Well I have news for that person, snky didn’t break, he persevered and no one got pregnant.

I appreciate all of the people who got in touch with me about not being able attend; I’m also a bit disappointed with the ones who flaked.

At around 3:30pm, after the headcount was tallied, the names were randomized and four separate heats were created. Some were slightly better than others but in the end they evened out. At 3:50pm the tournament commenced.

Round 1: Liandri

Four heats and forty players, with only thirty of them advancing. There were a few surprises in this round. The first being that Paulie (I found him in #UT 48hrs ago) qualified for Curse, the second which is related to the first is that alcohol has permanently damaged tylerofls brain. It’s okay, we’ll stick by you good buddy. My final apology goes to toymac for not telling him that this was FFA and not LMS.

Fallacy, Humpty, IR, Dew and kud had very strong showings. kyaxiz like snky, started with a sputter but gained momentum as the tournament progressed. Kappa started the first round fashionably late (idle 5mins) but still managed to squeak into the second round along with his compadre Omeganova. VeC, our new Italian addition made it through Liandri despite having one of the worst pings in the tournament. The three ladies (Mag, Ing, Sak) did women’s rights justice as all three qualified for Curse.

The middle of Liandri was a bit hectic however it was the spot to be if you wanted to rack up the frags. Some players like *detox* opted to camp the high spawn while others were waiting for victims to go through the portals.

In this first round we lost E|ite (welcome back amigo), Sponge, Dem, Reb, tyler, toymac, p3z and KillEmAll. Thanks for participating fellas.

UTStats:
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=934
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=935
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=936
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=937

Round 2: Curse

With only 20 players qualifying for the next round, the competition picked up even more on Curse. snky shook off his feeble Liandri performance and dropped 206 frags. The highest fragger on Curse was IR with 214 and everyone else was sub-200. Dew had the most monster kills with four and then n0b and kng with three a piece. The average TTL in the hallways was extremely short however all the traffic created opportunities to rack up frags in bunches. Another high traffic zone that people were trying to control was the stairs outside of Flak.

Curse claimed 10 more players with one of them being Paulie. His Tebow-esque run came to an end, the magic was gone and Jesus no longer wanted him to win. VeC went from Mario to Luigi. Crunk went from second in his heat on Liandri to not making the cut on Curse. Bryan and Tigerclaw underwhelmed. The |^ connection ran out of gas (glad Omega is back and Kappa going afk during matchtime made me feel nostalgic). Lore was close to advancing to StalXL (really impressed with his play, great strides since you came back m8). ptmd had to go and Imperium was left reflecting on where his KRU prowess had gone.

How were our ladies doing? Alive and kicking prepping for StalXL.

UTStats
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=938
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=939
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=940

Round 3: StalwartXL

Half the tournament was eliminated going into this frag-heavy map. To qualify for the finals it was either sink or swim with the top five spots in each heat securing a spot in the final round. For me at least, this was the most intense round. I went from first to eighth to second to eighth and eventually secured the third slot. In one of the heats, all five qualifying players broke the 200 frag mark with Joschde missing the cut at 193 frags. He thought that he had qualified because he was fifth in the server however Fallacy had reconnected and actually outfragged him. kng took the top honors in his heat as the only player to break 200 frags with me and Humpty just missing the mark.

Magma was the only lady to advance with Sakura and Ingela missing the cut. Ingela, our #Project-F.R.A.G superstar was only 6 frags behind snky from advancing to Deck. The Cinderella run ended for detox; . Larmor, kud (did sBw proud), faithless (repping PT), SW, torch (what’s a PL) were also casualties of the map. The final casualty was my brew n0b. He started off strong but lost momentum in the dying minutes of the map. He might not have made the finals but without his help, this tournament would have been impossible to run, so he’s a winner in my books.

UTStats:
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=941
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=942

The finals: Deck16

With only 10 people remaining, there was going to be a champion after 20mins, well 30 if you include IR eating dinner. For the first few minutes, everyone was close and I wasn't in last place. That all changed at about the ten minute mark when Dewsick started solidifying himself at the top while I decided to set up shop in the basement. Humpty was feeling courageous and decided to rock a boss-skin and he managed to come third. IR had the largest swing on Deck, after deciding that he didn't like being last, he leapfrogged up 7 positions and landed himself in second place. It was a feel good moment until Dew started . snky who was leading for part of Deck finished comfortably in fourth while kng-ky-anni were within one frag taking fourth, fifth and sixth respectively. Fallacy came 8th and MaGma 9th (not bad for someone who has barely played in the past two months, MaG is a FFA beast). As I alluded to before, I came in tenth. As terrible as it felt, it was an honor playing with those 9................ ah who am I kidding?

UTStats:
http://globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=943

To wrap all of this up:

[1:46:35pm] <@Ingela> so he didnt have any probs with the keyboard then ^^

We all have our fingers crossed that your keyboard will hold up and that you will be able to defend your crown in the summer. Once again for whoever didn't read it in the other thread, KOTR will be a bi-annual event however we will also be running other tournaments in the meantime. The stats and information from this tournament are being integrated into the website and we will be archiving and keeping track of all sorts of information.

Happy fragging, thanks for participating and let's keep the momentum going. This game isn't dead and the community doesn't suck so let's all do our best to have UT thrive. Tournaments are just the beginning for Global Unreal and the new Unreal Tournament; stay tuned.

PACO
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Re: KING OF THE RING I - RESULTS

Postby torch » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:15 am

would read again
torch

Postby insanity » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:45 am

insanity
Obama Speech Writer

Postby kng » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:22 am

here is the missing screenshot, it was generated from demo.

Thanks to PACO and all the others that make GU possible, cya next time!
Last edited by kng on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
kng

Postby InfamousRaider » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:31 am

Good Games, and good post. Now that you mention it LMS sounds pretty exciting also I suggest maps be 15 min instead of 20. Either way I hope the next tourney is team based.
InfamousRaider

Postby Carras » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:29 am

how did dew win liandri by 106 frags? roflrofl

thanks for the recap. Great read.
I was really excited to camp spawns, portals and hide in corners but had to miss the whole shebangalang :cry: :cry:

LMS next, ty
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby MaGma » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:23 pm

nice report, was fun to play :) gj on organising it guys.
MaGma

Postby HuMPtY » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:35 pm

nice job nob and paco , was alot of fun and ran quite smoothly ;D
some people suprised me how well they did tbh!
n1 lewis on winning <3
sorry nob xan was just not good enough this time =[ but im happy with 3rd =]

should def stay 20mins imo wasnt sure before hand but thought this ran really well why change anything ?:))
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby Bryan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:43 pm

Tournament was pretty exciting, I had a lot of fun! Looking forward to more tournaments in the near future.

Congrats to dewcock for raping everyones face, I mean Dewsick <3
MLIGCTF ZP III : MLIGCTF ZP IV : MLCTF XXIII
Bryan

Postby Carras » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:46 pm

i believe his name is Dewshit
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby KillEmAll » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:21 pm

Was fun, will do again.
Nice write up, and thanks for all the hard work.
KillEmAll

Postby rootsoft » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:12 pm

LOOK AT DEWSICK SHOWING OFF HIS RING

Last edited by rootsoft on Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rootsoft
Sarcasm Expert

Postby RickJames » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Nice writeup PACO! :D

I don't think I did bad for not being an IG player, although I was camping the top spawn on Liandri xD

GGs all
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby Imperious » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:05 pm

Sounds boring. The kind of thing I won't sign up for next time.
Imperious

Postby faithless » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:06 pm

I was supposed to win but since i was inactive for 7 months i have an excuse :x :lol:
i never thought i could reach semifinals :o

Anyway was fun to play it, nice atmosphere during the tournament, well played all!

Good Job Paco!
faithless

Postby torch » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:02 pm

torch

Postby kud » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:50 pm

i vote less than 20 minutes. i wouldn't mind 10 minutes
kud
Walder Frey

Postby rain » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:12 am

Oh Congrats, Lewis <3
Image Global.iCTF I - Champions (·shøckWave·)
rain

Postby rootsoft » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:34 am

homo ^
rootsoft
Sarcasm Expert

Postby kud » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:46 am

kud
Walder Frey

Postby rootsoft » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:00 am