Community Etiquette and Expectations for New Players

irc.utchat.com #iPug

Community Etiquette and Expectations for New Players

Postby PACO » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:37 pm

Hello #iPug,

It's time that we have a talk. In the recent weeks, #iPug has been seeing dozens and dozens of new faces and I feel that it is important to touch down on etiquette and my expectations for the channel. If you look in the channel, you'll see that we have some of the top hitscan players from the past decade. They are used to and have improved from the pugging format. Everyone has started as a noob ({AH}InfamousRaider, konartist[KRU], |uTa|KuD, Rummy<rAp>) and I would hate to see any opportunity of expanding activity squandered by our current players scaring new players off. I understand that a thick skin is needed to survive in online gaming but on the flipside, a cancerous community is bound to die.

The Euro pugging scene is dead. This is a perfect time to continue to build on our Global community. Racist and xenophobic comments will not be tolerated. Additionally, Europe has a very talented player pool but they are also rich in noobs. The noobs can improve and I'm 100% against elitist pugging. Instead of chasing them off, offer to help. Our current community is constructed out of noobs, average, good and elite players.. Anyone who wants to play (who isn't a scumbag/cheater), has a right to play, regardless of their skill level.

The Latino iCTF pugging scene never really existed. A lot of these players are used to playing in their own isolated communities and I would like to integrate them into #iPug. TonyRayo has been extremely helpful showing them how to connect to IRC, explaining the rules and telling them the basic English communications that they need to give useful calls. b0w0w didn't speak a lick of English when he first started playing but after enough pugs, they will be able to interact with us.

Stats from [bonerZ] vs Chile last night: http://www.globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=6799

We didn't cap them out and a lot of them showed that they can hang with the big boys. I was particularly impressed with maik. This game shows that there is foreign talent waiting to be tapped. They play in an unorthodox fashion however they are more than capable of picking up the tips/tricks/positioning of our insta community.

#UT and #iPug. All UT IRC users will be automatically redirected into #iPug. This shows them that there is an active community, will redirect them to our pub servers (more on that in the near future), and for a few, get them into the pugging scene. Some will be foreign, some will need help with patches.. be kind and help out wherever you can.

If people scream at new players (new to the channel within the past month) and try to chase them off, they will deal with me. On the first occasion, I will hand out a warning. On the second occasion, I'll hand out a 1hr ban and after that, you will be subjected to whatever I think is appropriate. Show common courtesy. After a month of pugging, official PACO protection disolves however you still might have to duke it out with me anyways.

I have been working on short 2-3min tutorials of the most common maps that we play to put on YT. Until they are finished, I'm happy to offer training camp to whichever player wants to learn (don't have to be a noob and you can teach an old nali warcow new tricks). I gave torch, mprs and several others advice on how to play certain maps. Although I can't help you point and click, I can put you on the right path for positioning and decision making. If others are also willing to help out, that would be fantastic.

The goal for the channel is 300+ idlers, overwhelming activity and an awesome UT scene. Please help to expand, instead of reduce this community. There will be growing pains but it's part of a process to ensure the health and vitality of this community.

Thanks for reading,

PACO

TL;DR: be nice to noobs, help them out, don't be elitist scum, people who are scumbags will feel the wrath of PACO, short term pain for long term gain.
PACO
Horizontally Challenged World Traveller

Re: Community Etiquette and Expectations for New Players

Postby |uK|Shiva » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:44 pm

Excellent Measure here PACO. This has been discussed in channel and TS multiple times but making it official was required. I think this will help build the community.
|uK|Shiva

Postby Morpheus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:47 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

EL NOOB PROTECTOR

QUESTION: DOES MAGMA COUNT? :mrgreen:
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby InfamousRaider » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:50 pm

I am willing to help out any and all new UT players under a few conditions.
A) You need to be able to speak English and use TS
B) You need to express a genuine willingness to improve, which means getting rid of old habits no matter how right you think you are.

That's it, message me on IRC for help.
InfamousRaider

Postby TimTim » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:53 pm

TimTim

Postby Morpheus » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:02 pm

theres a lack of ut demos in this community, the noobs learn throw demos.
Image Image Sponsored by: Banko
Morpheus
Robin

Postby InfamousRaider » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:04 pm

InfamousRaider

Postby SJA94 » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:42 pm

I would love to be able to learn how to do hitscan, but i can't really use teamspeak atm.
There are some demos on youtube, could make a topic and post links to the demo videos.
Could make some tutorials, on how to set up xbrowser type mods, and how to change the announcer sounds ect. i am willing to do some stuff like this, i have some free time atm. I did make two announcer mods last year( and SoundsSexy) i could not find them before i made them, because i didn't really know what to look for.
Last edited by SJA94 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 7:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New forum (WIP)
SJA94

Postby kud » Fri Aug 31, 2012 4:43 pm

intro to #ipug vid?
kud
Walder Frey

Postby torch » Sun Sep 02, 2012 12:06 pm

nickleback
torch

Postby PACO » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:51 pm

And Sunny takes the first ban. It was a slap on the wrist but bans will be extended from this point on. Lots of people are working hard to expand the community and there is a hardline stance on chasing people off.

PACO

Postby InfamousRaider » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:57 pm

InfamousRaider

Postby PACO » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:17 pm

Just telling players that they are "terrible" and blaming losses on last picks who are new to the pugging scene. A lot of these guys are trying to get back into their groove or find their groove for the first time.. getting verbally berated on TS sure won't help.. A few heads will probably have to roll before people see how serious I am about this.
PACO

Postby Carras » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:18 pm

k, i'll bite. I've gone awol on several newbs not because they are bad, but because they are fucking terrible.

If you can't drop more than 30 frags in 20 minutes, you should be playing combogib. It's that simple.
It's not fair to punish regular active players for rage because some idiot doesn't know anything after pugging for weeks.

It also should be unacceptable to be new to the community and no mic

Send em to training camp with Camp Counselor Paco
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby PACO » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:31 pm

PACO

Postby Carras » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:42 pm

no one really asks for help and no one takes it even if it's offered.

pretty sure ut1 (whatever the rest of his name is) killed some pugs for red team the other day/night.
He has played 15 maps and avg's 35 eff and 47 frags. Consider that overall frags have gone up since newnet (people drop 130-150 frags a map nbd)

http://www.globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=6859
http://www.globalunreal.com/utstats/?p=match&mid=6858 (balanced with Moli's 38...)
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby Carras » Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:53 pm

If ut1 reads this, i'll give ya some tutelage np
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby spydee » Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:58 pm

lots of noobs have potential but it is kinda irritating in pugs when they dont care/listen/teams are unbalanced

there might be a few solutions though. i can modify the bot to automatically generate the fairest teams to try and make teams fair, or make noobs with <20 pugs join a queue until 2 are joined and they are then added to the puglist, or something like that. if u come up with a good solution involving the bot then i'll add it in
spydee

Postby InfamousRaider » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:17 pm

InfamousRaider

Postby InfamousRaider » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:19 pm

InfamousRaider

Postby Sunny » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:19 pm

noobs should stay in pubs... until they learn how to dodge at least... thats how it was when we all first started playing and thats how it should be now... who likes playin with a dude whos gonna be gettings 20 frags and not listen to a word u say if u try n help them... NOT I SAID THE HEN
Sunny

Postby SJA94 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:26 pm

At what skill/frag level is it possible to pug without effecting the teams so much?
I have been playing insta for 2 weeks now, i was getting 20-40kills a map(n inc dm maps) now i am at 40 - just over 70 at tops.
Acc 15-20% :oops:
I am waiting to i improve a lot before i pug.

A game from today;
Kills..... Shots.....Hits..... Acc.....Time
95...... 478....... 95.... 19.87 18:07
Last edited by SJA94 on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
New forum (WIP)
SJA94

Postby Carras » Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:36 pm

i think we should the bar at xpoh.
Carras
Maybe Next Time...

Postby InfamousRaider » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:00 am

InfamousRaider

Postby SJA94 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:56 am

Ok sounds good, it would be nice to play insta without it being, woot,andaction,cavesblue,andactionIII,fraghos,caves. I have played some 1v1s with cmore, and zyke i think, lost badly but it improves my gameplay in these kinds of games.
New forum (WIP)
SJA94

Next

Return to #iPug