1v1 NN tourny????

Next Tournament: To be Announced

Re: 1v1 NN tourny????

Postby RickJames » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:56 pm

About the proposed tournament:

I think turbine should be considered for addition to the map list. I personally think it's a near-perfect 1v1 map that emphasizes smarts above all else. Not a lot of American players are familiar with it, and dismiss it out of hand for that reason. I know players like Humpty and ph34r seem to enjoy it like I do. I think it and other potential maps should be discussed, and there should be reasons if they aren't included.

I think a "16 seed vs 1 seed" style tournament would be a bad idea, since you'd likely be pitting IG players with no experience vs weapons players.

Regardless of NN or not, I'd sign up if additions to the map list were at least discussed.
RickJames
Kofi Annan

Postby TimTim » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm not sure why you continue you argue, RJ. It's pointless.

What it comes down to is that the game is still balanced with newnet and the playing field is about as even as it can possibly get. Giving players a WYSIWYG ("what you see is what you get") style of gameplay doesn't diminish skill or map control. It does the exact opposite. It requires more brains and better movement when you know your enemy can reliably hit you. And yes, it's going to be a slightly different style than what you're used to. You can't just run out like a retard anymore. Map control and positioning becomes more important than ever. If detox let himself get shot 5 times by your enforcer, that's his fault, not newnet's. I'm not sure how many times I've had to reiterate this fact, so this will be the last time.

It's better this way, and if you think otherwise, you need to loosen your grip on the past.
TimTim

Postby HuMPtY » Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:38 am

def up for this..

if rj doesnt want to take part thats fine;]

turbine in pls solid 1v1 map ;)
HuMPtY
Head of Agriculture

Postby ph34r » Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:39 pm

I think Turbine is definitely better than some of the maps that made it into the MLDM 1 maplist (Liandri for example), but it definitely has its faults too. Moving the armors to more appropriate places would help the map flow considerably and not result in an endless 15 minute run-from-each-other-fest that it can turn into sometimes. Put the belt where the pads currently are, the pads where the armor currently is, and the armor where shieldbelt currently is and you've changed the map flow in a considerably positive way without adding or removing any new powerup placements or changing weapon placements. You need to have an accurate risk:reward for powerup control. It's way too easy to dominate top area and just control armor/vials/invis and then you don't even need to go for belt. The powerup positioning is the opposite of what it should be. Pads are the hardest to control currently but they're also the least important. Putting belt at pads puts a centralized focus on the map in a hard to control area (see:deck) while putting pads in the easily dominated spot up top so its not so easily camped/abused. (also see:deck).

And no I'm not trying to turn turbine into deck don't even go there, I'm simply pointing out that the reason deck is the best/most popular map in nwTDM is because of the excellent powerup placement and map flow. Apply the same placement and flow concepts to Turbine and the map becomes much better/more widely accepted imo
(122202:123602:1216) (HU) ya pixie (122202:123602:1218) (HU) i love that (122202:123602:1222) (HU) mmmmmmmm (122202:123602:1226) (HU) MMMMMMMMMMmmm Image
ph34r

Postby Diff`lx » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:59 pm

Diff`lx

Postby blackout\\ » Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:59 am

I'm interested. Welcome to Blackout16][ enjoy your stay.
blackout\\

Previous

Return to UT99 Tournaments